It's only Preseason!!!

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's amazing how some people get so down on their team over preseason games. The Patriots were 1-3 during preseason last year, and they turned out to be pretty good.

Preseason wins or loses do not matter. Last year we started the regular season 1-4 and still won the division by being able to finish 10-6. We went 9-2 in the last 11 games!!

Preseason is a time to assess talent, gain experience, tune-up for when it counts and for position battles. Sure everyone likes to win every game played, but that isn't the main focus for preseason games. Coaches purposely mix and match players and line-ups because these games don't matter, so it's the best time to test things out.

Good points to take out of TC and preseason:
1) We have a lot of young talent playing well.
2) Brett is looking young and refreshed. Offseason was very good for him.
3) The defensive scheme has been consistent, allowing players to learn and improve.
4) The defense still needs to gel, but there is more gang tackling and intensity.
5) We are being forced to cut NFL quality players due to even better players winning the jobs. (e.g. Thurman, Horton, W.Williams, Leach, etc)
6) On defense, our talent level has definitely improved. Thomas is playing great. Roman is fitting into this defense. Collins is stepping up. Our starting DL is the same, but Cole and Williams are playing very well as backup DTs. Jenkins, Montgomery and Truluck have all played very well as backup DEs. At LB Lenon, Manning, Pop and Jenkins are all pushing for only 3 spots, and they've all earned those jobs (tough cut.)
7) On offense, our WR core is improved. We've got 4 good centers. Steele is stepping up and Franks is back.

There are many good points about TC this year, and none of them are about winning preseason games. Next week will be a great way to start the year -- Pounding on a division foe!!!

GO PACK GO!!!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winning the preseason games may not be the "tell all" if a team wins during the regular season but certain things we've seen so far need to get fixed b/c they will spill over into the games that count. Here are just a few things...

1)Penalties - good teams simply do not make the bonehead play (ie. late hits, personal fouls, taunting, etc.)

2)O-Line - the Packers are averaging under 3 yards per carry. They do not have "Slow" Eddie George running back there, they have some quality RB's Davenport, Green, Fisher, Williams...also, they need to protect the franchise. If #4 is constantly getting banged around, it is inevitable that the team will fail. Their protection has been excellent in the past and needs to continue.

3)Fumbles - the Packers have had a very difficult time holding onto the football.

Having said that, I do agree that one could list many positives as well because we have young, hungry talent on defense and a great coordinator. I like their chances but I hope Sherman can fix some of the issues they have before Sept. 11

I say 10-6 minimum and NFC North Crown! GO PACK GO!!! 8)

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preseason scores don't count. Preseason play does. I'm worried for Favre. Am I giving up on my team, FU*% NO and never will, but I can express what I see. We do have positives but the OL development has not giving me much sleep! FHOF'er BF deserves to be protected so I hope this line gets its sh!* together quickly, otherwise we may be seeing our #2 quicker than we want. If TT was to spend any money, I wish he would have paid for some better FA guards. Granted these guys can improve and I hope they do.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
It's amazing how some people get so down on their team over preseason games. The Patriots were 1-3 during preseason last year, and they turned out to be pretty good.

Preseason wins or loses do not matter. Last year we started the regular season 1-4 and still won the division by being able to finish 10-6. We went 9-2 in the last 11 games!!

Preseason is a time to assess talent, gain experience, tune-up for when it counts and for position battles. Sure everyone likes to win every game played, but that isn't the main focus for preseason games. Coaches purposely mix and match players and line-ups because these games don't matter, so it's the best time to test things out.

Good points to take out of TC and preseason:
1) We have a lot of young talent playing well.
2) Brett is looking young and refreshed. Offseason was very good for him.
3) The defensive scheme has been consistent, allowing players to learn and improve.
4) The defense still needs to gel, but there is more gang tackling and intensity.
5) We are being forced to cut NFL quality players due to even better players winning the jobs. (e.g. Thurman, Horton, W.Williams, Leach, etc)
6) On defense, our talent level has definitely improved. Thomas is playing great. Roman is fitting into this defense. Collins is stepping up. Our starting DL is the same, but Cole and Williams are playing very well as backup DTs. Jenkins, Montgomery and Truluck have all played very well as backup DEs. At LB Lenon, Manning, Pop and Jenkins are all pushing for only 3 spots, and they've all earned those jobs (tough cut.)
7) On offense, our WR core is improved. We've got 4 good centers. Steele is stepping up and Franks is back.

There are many good points about TC this year, and none of them are about winning preseason games. Next week will be a great way to start the year -- Pounding on a division foe!!!

GO PACK GO!!!

hey bobby you are right what you said about the pats. had a rotten preseason but won the lombardi trophy. lets have a great season. we may shock them.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Colts went 0-5 this preseason when you include the Japan Bowl, and many consider them a Super Bowl favorite. They even lost 38-0 in the preseason against the Bengals.

G

NDPackerFan said:
2)O-Line - the Packers are averaging under 3 yards per carry. They do not have "Slow" Eddie George running back there, they have some quality RB's Davenport, Green, Fisher, Williams...also, they need to protect the franchise. If #4 is constantly getting banged around, it is inevitable that the team will fail. Their protection has been excellent in the past and needs to continue.

Who in their right mind could possibly believe that the loss of quality OG's like Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera would not hurt the Packers OL play?

TT replaced them with Matt O'Dwyer and Adrian Klemm...what??? Hello...is anyone home???

The naive Packer fans read an article where the writer claimed that replacing OG's was easy and they clung to that fallacy for dear life.

It is time to wake up and face some reality. Hopefully Brett Favre doesn't pay the price.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Larry Tagg- Most packer fans are very knowledgeable. We, know there would be some problems replacing quality players like Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera. if you will remember when Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera showed up at training camp they weren't the great Guards for the Packer they were six or so years later. Mike Wahle was tried out at Tackle and failed miserably, then switched to Guard and developed in few years to be a all pro guard. Marco was even sent to NFL -Europe and came back and later to be a excellent guard. Many Players are signed to come into Packer Training camp around 100 of them. You just never know who is going to be a future starter for your team. You lose very little by taking a look at any prospect in training camp, even Matt O'Dwyer, who was cut and Adrian Klemm who I believe was originally a tackle who the Packers switched to guard. This Packer offensive line will take time, there has been a lot experimenting with different combinations. Hopefully the Packers settle on the right two guards and they provide adequate protection for Farve against the Detroit Lions on Sept 11th or there will be a lot short drop back passes by Favre. Most Packer fans are not naive and anybody who thinks they are are mistaken. I will match great majority of Packer fans with any fans of any team in the league. Many older Packer fans have been following pro football for many decades, long before it has become # 1 Pro sport in the USA. It has been #1 in Green Bay since 1919, after all The Packer franchise is community owned.

G

PWT36 said:
Larry Tagg- Most packer fans are very knowledgeable.

Really, I've been bouncing around to a few Packer forums and I can only say I have found a handfull knowledgeable posters. The rest are basically Sherman butt-kissers making excuses.

Some even try to blame Brett Favre for Sherman's shortcomings. That is sad.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Larry Tagg said:
PWT36 said:
Larry Tagg- Most packer fans are very knowledgeable.

Really, I've been bouncing around to a few Packer forums and I can only say I have found a handfull knowledgeable posters. The rest are basically Sherman butt-kissers making excuses.

Some even try to blame Brett Favre for Sherman's shortcomings. That is sad.

Hey if you dont like what the posters are saying on the few forums you've been to, maybe it's you that needs to look in the mirror. If not, bounce right out of here! The Packers are not dead in the water and I will argue anyone who proclaims it. They have some issues without question and the line play is definitely one of them. I think it will take time but Beightol is one of the best in the business and he will find a group that will play well together this year - mark my words.

Larry, are you a Packers fan? I just need to know.

Members online

Latest posts