Is TT content with what we have?

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't heard how much we cut his salary by.

I think Finley needs to renegotiate. He would command about 1/2 in FA.

Good luck with that one. Finley will play out his contract or be cut, but he's made it very clear he will not re-negotiate. Is his talent enough to warrant his salary?? maybe. But his production is not and that's where we stand. It seems to me TT doesn't make the right call when it comes to re-signing guy's either. Maybe that's why he's so cheap when it comes to FA?? a couple of over priced starters on the roster already. Add Aj Hawk and Tramon Williams to that list along with Kuhn and Mason Crosby smh. How the heck does a fb make over 2 mil a yr? Some of you guy's give TT wayyy to much credit. If anybody shoulda been cut or asked to restructure it shoulda been Crosby.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good luck with that one. Finley will play out his contract or be cut, but he's made it very clear he will not re-negotiate. Is his talent enough to warrant his salary?? maybe. But his production is not and that's where we stand. It seems to me TT doesn't make the right call when it comes to re-signing guy's either. Maybe that's why he's so cheap when it comes to FA?? a couple of over priced starters on the roster already. Add Aj Hawk and Tramon Williams to that list along with Kuhn and Mason Crosby smh. How the heck does a fb make over 2 mil a yr? Some of you guy's give TT wayyy to much credit. If anybody shoulda been cut or asked to restructure it shoulda been Crosby.

And some people don't give him the credit he deserves

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/07/jermichael-finleys-agent-wont-rule-out-pay-cut/

My biggest complaint against TT was resigning Crosby and Hawk.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And some people don't give him the credit he deserves

Guilty. But he's still living off 2010 glory imo. I think winning the SB with a ton of guy's on IR kinda went to his head. Out of all the players he drafted to help the defense only Heyward made a huge impact.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but it fits...I don't like repeating myself so I gave up answering in the Ted debate.. He has put in a successful formula for winning and with all things constant, you don't deviate from it but this is the nfl and its an ever changing league.. While we might not be getting worse, and we are certainly nothing to cough at, other teams are certainly Improving. The good get better. It's just how this game is played and that's why we watch it. Ted is a smart man but almost to a fault. He believes in his formula so much that it hurts him to deviate from it.. I believe it hurts his ego to grab players that weren't his. He essentially ignores an entire separate pool of talent.. Why? Name me starters that weren't his draftees.. Or what's the percentage of players on our roster that weren't his draftees or udfa? I don't know off hand but I'd bet its low. And I believe his philosophy has rubbed off on his past staff.. Look at Murphy and philibin.. Why are they so adamant about not signing past packer players?.. Flynn would've no doubt helped the raiders and probly the dolphins.. Or Jennings this year.. We all know he's a superior receiver to Wallace and the amount of money they gave him almost made a statement.. Maybe I'm digging too much there but they seem pretty forward about having no ties to the packer organization. It seems they want to start their own legacy and never have to hear " well they grabbed so and so from their former teams" because they would always have their named tied to something else and I believe that frame of mind stems from teddy.. I believe he ignores that entire pool of talent because he didn't find them.. They wouldn't be his "gems" they would alway have their names tied to their past organization in his eyes.. Other than Woodson and Pickett what other fa signing even attempted to look like he was trying.? And that was his second year as gm.. He attempted some small fa signings last year but the only one that even seemed genuine to me was the one that stayed and it was benson.. Merling and Muir showed promise on the dl but the only one that stuck was the one that was suspended and the one he knew all along he was never keeping in Hagrove.. So what were we left with on our dl? Every player was a Teddy draft picks or udfa and his one gem in Pickett. Teds a good gm and I've said it before I'd want him over most. But he has that one quality (stubborness) that might prevent him from being great. He's allowed the benefit of the doubt and we should give him that, but some feel he should NEVER be questioned and that's bologna.. Yea there's a reason he's the gm and we aren't but those jobs are very scarce and theres a few hundred million people that live in America..if you don't think there's someone bigger and better out there that's bologna too..Look how fast it went from us being the talk of the town and having the cream of the crop roster to being considered still a top 10 team but not the powerhouse we were thought to be.. and there wasnt much turnover in our roster its just that there were 31 other teams that knew they had to catch up and some succeeded. Now its our turn for the counterpuch and im not sure ted knows or wants to throw one if it doesn't involve "his own"..I don't need to know somebody to get a sense of how they are based on their actions, it's kinda what I do for a living. Some go to the extreme and honestly sound like children wanting a new toy..sign so and so because they know the name..no it doesn't work like but there's talent out there to be had even if its for borrowed time .. You can structure contracts to take the hit this year or delay that hit till the 2nd or 3rd year with bigger signing bonuses. If that's what you have to do for your counterpunch then you do it.. And when it comes time they are expendable and you release them and then what are we still left with you ask? A very solid core waiting for the next punch your goin to throw and the circle continues.. It just seems like Ted doesn't know how to complete the circle and come back around it.. Jenkins Canty and Jackson were had for good prices.. Rodgers has stated he intends to play out his contract and we aren't obligated to give him an extension till the seasons over. So even if we have to "borrow" some of those players for a year if you think it'll get you over the hump now, you do it because we have the cap too.. And if it doesn't work, you release those players and give Rodgers his money and you continue to build.. It's not always him or him, sometimes you can have him AND him even if its for borrowed time..discuss

Reaction score
Let the chumps run around like decapitated chickens - throwing big money at the Erik Waldens of the world - we'll just sit back, evaluate players in the draft - get the best ones available - make the playoffs with a 10+ win season ... who knows, maybe we'll be healthy and get hot... maybe not, but I'd rather be in a position to consistently go on a run than a team (like the 08/09 vikes) that blows it's *** for a 2 year shot - then goes 3 - 13 after the smoke settles with nothing to show for it.

H

HardRightEdge

...but he's made it very clear he will not re-negotiate.

I love the echo chamber. Somebody posts a partial quote, which omitted the comment about being open to a renegotiation if the terms were right, and he gets misquoted again, and again, and....

H

HardRightEdge

...make the playoffs with a 10+ win season...

This is a discussion perhaps best left for post-draft, but with our schedule, 10 wins might be stretch. Fortunately, the rest of the division seems to be losing starters as fast as they can add them in FA.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I love the echo chamber. Somebody posts a partial quote, which omitted the comment about being open to a renegotiation if the terms were right, and he gets misquoted again, and again, and....

Shhhhhhh

Dont let him know he was wrong

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teddy Loves to DRAFT !!!!!

He loves to evaluate collegiate men.
It's what he does, what he excels at, what he enjoys.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
TT loves the draft. We are hamstrung in FA this year and next because of the expected cap hit to resign 2 players, most noticeably#12. A novel thought. Redo Matthews long term and next year at this time, TRADE Rodgers to someone else for him to get the $. Would need to acquire his replacement this year. I would expect maybe at best a 2014 1 & 3 and a 2015 1 & 2 to get the deal done. Otherwise I foresee a return to 10 years ago with Favre not having a great team around him, just good enough to get to the playoffs but not enough horses around him to win it (let's avoid turning this in to a Favre debate again.) Peyton had the same problem in Indy, best Qb in the league with only 1 SB win at the time. Jake Delhomme, Rex Grossman, Trent Dilfer all made the SB with a good team around them and none would be in the discussion of top 20 QB's since 2000. Eli has 2 rings because of his team. He is at best an above average QB. What good is the best QB in the league for 10 years if all you expect is to get to the playoffs and hope for the best? A dominant TEAM should get to the conference championship several years running.

H

HardRightEdge

TT loves the draft. We are hamstrung in FA this year and next because of the expected cap hit to resign 2 players, most noticeably#12. A novel thought. Redo Matthews long term and next year at this time, TRADE Rodgers to someone else for him to get the $. Would need to acquire his replacement this year. I would expect maybe at best a 2014 1 & 3 and a 2015 1 & 2 to get the deal done. Otherwise I foresee a return to 10 years ago with Favre not having a great team around him, just good enough to get to the playoffs but not enough horses around him to win it (let's avoid turning this in to a Favre debate again.) Peyton had the same problem in Indy, best Qb in the league with only 1 SB win at the time. Jake Delhomme, Rex Grossman, Trent Dilfer all made the SB with a good team around them and none would be in the discussion of top 20 QB's since 2000. Eli has 2 rings because of his team. He is at best an above average QB. What good is the best QB in the league for 10 years if all you expect is to get to the playoffs and hope for the best? A dominant TEAM should get to the conference championship several years running.

If Rodgers throws 20 picks next year and pulls a full-throated choke in the playoffs, it would be worth considering.

The Vikes will want to make a last ditch effort at the Lombardi before the Purple Jesus loses his mojo, and would probably give up a piece of their concession revenue to get him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Didnt Eli get a huge contract?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Didnt Eli get a huge contract?
Not as much as Rodgers will get.
from 2012 http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ning-redoes-contract-saves-giants-675-million :
Manning agreed to restructure his current contract to save theGiants approximately $6.75 million on this year's cap,according to The Star-Ledger. Manning was due $10.75 million in base salary in 2012, according to the report. The Giantsagreed to guarantee $9 million of that amount, reducing his base salary to $1.75 million and pro-rating the guaranteed portion over the remaining four years of his contract.
Manning signed a six-year, $97 million contract extension in 2009.
According to the New York Daily News, Manning is scheduled to make base salaries of $13 million in 2013, $15.15 million in 2014 and $17 million in 2015. His cap numbers for those years are now $20.85 million (in 2013), $20.4 million (in 2014) and $19.75 million (in 2015), per the report.

Did the Giants make the playoffs?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somebody FedEx this to Thompson. I'll bet he has no idea it's this simple. Drafting Perry (OLB) and Sherrod (LT) were probably accidents - hey, I wonder why he didn't draft all pros at those spots instead, it must be easy, right? And I'm sure using the top 6 picks on D in the last draft had nothing to do with improving the D. :rolleyes:
I said the draft was a crap shoot didnt I. I never said it was easy, nice try.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I do not endorse taking the actions in the original post, just a discussion starter.
There's no discussion. You don't even contemplate trading the possible best player at the most critical position in the game for one trophy. Possibly the best player ever at the most critical position. The Packers would be the laughingstock of the NFL for the next 20 years. Rodgers gives you a chance at multiple trophies. There is not a single QB available in this year's draft that you can consider able to get you to the SB this year right?
So you have a year or two to get him up to speed, while still building the TEAM around him. In the meantime all those young draftees become FAs and you lose them. It's cyclic, teams change from year to year and the cap and free agency enforces that you don't build a dynasty. Playoffs every year is just fine with me.
I hope you see the futility in this. I want to offer you this quote from Gil Brandt:
“I always saw free agency as the price teams pay for not drafting well."
FA doesn't win championships, building a young team through the draft does. Those are inexpensive players with youth, speed and determination on their side. FAs are guys who've already made their mark to some degree and are looking to get a big paycheck or they are players their previous teams didn't see as impact players. What makes you think that is the way to build a team?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

Disagree!!! You never trade "the man". The man got us to where we are, and what we have accomplished under his rein. That would/should NEVER happen. If for some reason, 5 years from now, his productions falls off and his replacement is clawing at his heels for the starting job (Montana & young situation ) then MAYBE. But otherwise you never get rid of the MVP QB. An Arod QB does not come around that often, and who's to say we can actually draft his replacement? How many, beside Luck and RG3, have panned out in the last few years? Look at this years draft od good quality QB's......their aint JACK **** that will be an Arod style QB, bet on that.

And as much as I dislike the Giants and Eli, Eli is better than "above average". C'mon man. What did all those "other" teams have in common when they went to the SB without an "elite" QB? A domminant run game and a damn good defense.....where is our domminant run game??.....where is our lights out defense? Yeah, thought so.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I said the draft was a crap shoot didnt I. I never said it was easy, nice try.
That's right, you never said it was easy, you just implied it was:
Here is an idea; find another pass rushing OLB on the other side of the field from our stud OLB, and get a few guys that can TACKLE on D. Get a LT that isnt an also ran or hurt 90 percent of the time to protect your stud QB. Do these things and I think you'll see this team turn on a dime.
This certainly isn't a big deal but read over what you posted - it doesn't reflect the reality of the situation does it? Unless you think Thompson acquires LTs who are "also rans" or hurt 90% of the time and defenders who can't tackle on purpose.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's right, you never said it was easy, you just implied it was: This certainly isn't a big deal but read over what you posted - it doesn't reflect the reality of the situation does it? Unless you think Thompson acquires LTs who are "also rans" or hurt 90% of the time and defenders who can't tackle on purpose.
LOL....I never implied a thing, you did. On purpose? Never said it. Stop putting words and thoughts in my mouth - Is it true that the LT position is one of THE most important? From what I have experienced, it is. It is true that Sherrod's situation is perilous, but the guy TT has at LT is, to me, unacceptable. Sounds to me like you don't agree with that. That is fine. The lone defensive player that made an immediate impact last year was Casey Hayward. Don't agree that the D has a tackling problem? Fine by me. No pass rush? All of these are problems - thats what needs fixed. Find some players who can rush and tackle, and find someone who can protect Rodgers blind side. It can't be that incomprehensible, but it seems to be right now. That is my point.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I never implied a thing…
It sounds like you don't know the meaning of the word "implied". By posting "Here is an idea…" and by posting "Find some players who…" you are implying that Thompson hasn't had that idea and isn't attempting to find players to fix obvious problems. Obviously Thompson is more aware of the problems on the team than you are. Obviously he's trying to find players to succeed with every player acquisition he makes. Do you think your posts stating the obvious are adding to the conversation? IMO it's similar to suggesting Thompson find all pros at LT and at every level on the defense. The trick, which apparently eludes you, is not in telling Thompson to find good/great players, it's actually identifying those players.

'Hey I know: How 'bout Thompson picking a great player at #26?!!' Thanks for that, Mr. Obvious.

Members online

Latest posts