Is This the Time to Look from a Rogers Replacement?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a pressing need, but if we have a situation where some QB is being undervalued and is available to us late... like Rodgers was, then sure. Don't think there's anyone this year worth writing home about though. I don't think we actively pursue a QB or make it a draft priority for 2-3 more years.

Reaction score
Replacement? I don’t think Aaron is being replaced anytime soon unless he falls off a cliff or something.

Depth? Absolutely we should always be thinking about developing a serviceable backup.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not worth wasting draft-capital on in '19 or '20, IMHO. GB just committed to AR for the next 4 years so maybe starting in '21.

Have a 1st rounder in Kizer already in the wings... whether he's "the guy" remains to be seen.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If we can waste picks on DB's and guys that mostly are horrible on that side of the ball then we can absolutely draft a QB.

After all drafting a QB with the other problems we have on offense makes as about much sense as drafting a slow TE or yet another failed FINESSE DB.

Mine as well. I'm starting to think a total rebuild might be in order.

D

Deleted member 6794

Geez, that was discussed in another thread only a bit more than a week ago.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Didn't we just have this discussion a decade ago surrounding Favre? I mean really...

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ron Wolf took a QB in the draft almost every year from 1992 to 1999.

I wouldn't have a problem at all with Gute taking a QB in this draft. I am not high on Kizer, but I do like Boyle. Finding a QB in the draft and letting a QB guy like LaFleur mold him would be a positive.

Wolf found some good QB's in the later rounds. Detmer, Brunell, Hasselbeck to name a few.

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Trouble with backup QB's some get tired of waiting in the wings to start and ask to be traded.
With Rogers we got lucky he waited for his time to start,
Never should stop drafting and developing any position group. Never can have enough good players at any position.

And it's *Rodgers. I totally understand a typo now and then, but you seem to continually spell his name wrong is why I mention it.:tup:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we can waste picks on DB's and guys that mostly are horrible on that side of the ball then we can absolutely draft a QB.

After all drafting a QB with the other problems we have on offense makes as about much sense as drafting a slow TE or yet another failed FINESSE DB.

Might as well. I'm starting to think a total rebuild might be in order.

There ya go buddy. ;) I'm typically not a grammar ****, but I made an exception in this case.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only "replacement" I'd be interested in is a backup that could win some games if Rodgers misses some games. We probably don't have the resources to afford that kind of luxury. Maybe if the run game and defense was more stout, we wouldn't need a great QB to win games. That's a big maybe though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No offense to the OP, but how many different ways and times do we have to beat this currently dead horse? Now a California Sports Writer thinks by drafting a QB this year, it will....."give the team a shot in the arm if Rodgers goes down with another season-ending injury." Please, did you watch Brett Hundley or Kizer? Does this writer even closely follow the Packers? Or because the topic of Aaron Rodgers and the Packers is current, figured he would sell some clicks?

The time to draft #12's replacement will come and the Packers organization will know when that time is right, but unless I am missing something, that the Packers or #12 isn't telling us, that shouldn't be for another year or two at the earliest. How many QB's have the Packers ****ed around with in the last 15 years and besides getting a 6th rounder for Hundley (a 5th round pick), have nothing to show for it? Matt Flynn was about as close as they came to a starter and he turned out to be nothing.

Packers have too many other holes to fill to squander picks on a QB and a rookie QB most likely isn't going to be an immediate quality backup either, nor will the Packers probably need him to be a starter for at least 4-5 years.

Yes, I know, there is always that shot of a Tom Brady in every 6th round pick. :rolleyes:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if it was time to look for his replacement, we wouldn't have signed him to a new contract. It's pretty simple. Quit entertaining people that need to convert clicks to cash.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wouldn't have a problem at all with Gute taking a QB in this draft. I am not high on Kizer, but I do like Boyle. Finding a QB in the draft and letting a QB guy like LaFleur mold him would be a positive.

I would definitely be fine with the Packers selecting a quarterback on day three of the draft to compete with Kizer and Boyle for the backup job but there's no reason to consider drafting Rodgers' replacement.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless a QB of Rodgers' caliber drops - and I don't see him in this draft class - this isn't the year to look for his replacement. We have more immediate pressing needs right now to be wasting these precious high picks on a QB. I'm pretty sure had Rodgers not fallen in 2005 Thompson would not have drafted Favre's replacement that year either.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i would imagine that the scouting dept are probably starting to focus on QB's that could be drafted in 3-4 years, and how they progress in that time as possible succesors to AR, but he may sign for a couple more years after his current contract is up, so we may end up signing two guys a couple years apart as possible successors

D

Deleted member 6794

Unless a QB of Rodgers' caliber drops - and I don't see him in this draft class - this isn't the year to look for his replacement.

Even if that happens it might be smart for the Packers to pass on that quarterback. With Rodgers being under contract for another five seasons it's probable the QB drafted won't play any meaningful snaps in Green Bay before leaving in free agency four years later.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we save our draft capital for depth elsewhere. Kizer needs time to show what he can do being that he was rushed his first year, and adjusting to our system last year. It's an ideal scenario for him to hone his skills behind the best in a low pressure environment. If he sucks in preseason or is beat out by Boyle only then would I consider moving on from him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pay him a bumper contract and start looking for a replacement. Where does this make sense?
Yeah I mean with Rodgers around for another 3 years, minimum, where’s the sense in wasting a pick on a QB? I’d rather they took a kicker.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah I mean with Rodgers around for another 3 years, minimum, where’s the sense in wasting a pick on a QB? I’d rather they took a kicker.

I wouldn't mind the Packers using a day three pick on a quarterback competing with Kizer and Boyle for the backup job. There's no reason to think about Rodgers replacement though.