Is it seriously possible . . .

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
for Walker and/or Franks to sit out part or all of next season? The season is creeping closer.

I haven't seen even a hint of day light in negotiations so far concerning either player.
:-?

If that does occur (and yes it is an "if" question) what do we do without arguably 2 of our top offensive weapons? We have really no large amount of cap space to properly replace them?

It is essential for our O to stay powerful to compensate for our awful D.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount, I feel you're anxiety; however, Franks still has until July 22 to find an offer from somewhere else with the Packers eligible to match. I think given their current status at TE, you'll see Franks as a Packer this year for game one.

Walker's situation seems a little stickier but the $1000 fine per day gone at mandatory practice sessions seems like chump change for any NFL player. Wait until he comes to the realization that he may miss game checks. If he's as ignorant to hold out before having more than one good season, he's ignorant enough not to save any money along the way too. He'll be in camp in time, the only worry is that many holdouts either crash during the season or get hurt. I'm more worried about that at this point! :roll:

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The "if" on Franks is a very big if IMO. I just can't see him sitting out. If Walker does we just go on without him. It would be similar to the 2 years before last when he did not do much. Our rookie Murphy should be able to do as much as Walker did his first year-nothing.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're forgetting fergy, packertraxx...yet another "if" but if he's healthy...apparently the lasik surgery has done wonders for him, and he's getting back to showing the flashes he did 2 yrs. ago on a more consistent basis.

Also...not so sure what leverage Walker has that Rosenhaus refers to...he's going to be losing a lot of $$$ from fines...he's not going anywhere...sitting out kills his value...beating a dead horse here...he'll be in camp.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think you will see Franks sitting out. It depends upon how bullheaded Walker's agent is and how dumb Walker is, as to whether he will sit out. Is it possible that one or both will skip the season, yes, but it is highly doubtful. These guys only have so many years to make money and they're not going to miss a pay check. They make too much and therefore lose too much. The key really is how long do you allow them to sit out of traning camp before you allow them back in. My stance would be, once I feel you've missed too much of camp to play effectively in the first game, then you're no longer welcome in camp and I'd put them on a suspention.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I don't think there are too many guys who will turn down $2.1 million to play 16 weeks of football. Franks will be back. Javon will too, IMO. The Packers have called his bluff and he's trying to wait for as long as he can before folding.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
You're forgetting fergy, packertraxx...yet another "if" but if he's healthy...apparently the lasik surgery has done wonders for him, and he's getting back to showing the flashes he did 2 yrs. ago on a more consistent basis.

Also...not so sure what leverage Walker has that Rosenhaus refers to...he's going to be losing a lot of $$$ from fines...he's not going anywhere...sitting out kills his value...beating a dead horse here...he'll be in camp.

Right, that's what I was referring to. Throwing to Driver and Fergie now would be as good or better than it was throwing to a young Driver and Schroeder. Fergie could have a big year this year if lasik does for him what it did for Walker.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish I could have sat out on my workshop days when I was teaching and demanded more money. Wow! That would have really gone over big with the community!!! These football players should try working in a regular job as the rest of us do and work for peanuts as we do, or in my case did. I am now an ex kindergarten teacher--should say retired.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ND, to be completely techinal and accurate Teams have July 22 or the start of training camp whichever is LATER to make an offer to Franks. The Packers can match. He currently counts against the cap at the default value of a transiton player(ave of top 10 at his position).

Bubba therefore is under an imposed contract and will report to training camp in the absence of an offer from another team. Packers can match. It is a tough amount to beat for another team and the Packers will likely match. There is the possibility that a team could make offer but unlikley.

I think Ted Thompson already has a value and contract in mind for Bubba that will at least go through the 2007 potentially uncapped year. Bubba will either accept or reject. Bubba now knows that no other offers have been made. The deal will be good for both. The Packers can live with the Transistion number if necessary.

Walker will either show up or he won't. The Packers will deal with it either way. No panic or pleading, no disparaging just down to business and ignore those who choose not to participate. Walker will grant them a roster exemption for the "did not report list." No discussion necessary. He will only hurt himself.

OP
OP
R

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No offense CaliCheez but I think the loss of Walker would hurt. He IS a game breaker. Looking back on the Vikes/Pack playoff game, once he went out for all essential purposes the game was over.

We as Packer fans can deny to the day we die that Walker was a one hit wonder that may not even prove himself this year, but we all know deep down our gut tells us something different. He is a special talent and we need him.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without Walker we are not going to break .500. We have no other serious threat at WR and Brett will try to force balls leading to more interceptions.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
Without Walker we are not going to break .500. We have no other serious threat at WR and Brett will try to force balls leading to more interceptions.

that's pretty drastic...in 2003 walker wasn't a major piece, only emerged at the end of the season, still had driver, still won the division that year

the season isn't over without walker, i like our chances a whole lot better with him, but without him we can manage

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker is a good player that's for sure. But he is not the difference between going below .500 and winning the division. Lasik should do for Fergie what it did for Walker and with that there should not be much of a drop off if Fergie has to start. Heck he might even beat Walker out now that he can see. In any case I think we would miss Walker less than Minne will miss Moss.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Walker in the game the opposing D's game plan centers around him as the deep threat guy. Whether the ball goes to Walker is almost irrelevant. Just defending him creates more opportunities for Ferg, Driver and Chatman, as well as play actions for Ahman. His presence does open up more can of worms for the D schemes against us. W/O Walker the DC has a much easier task trying to shut down our O IMHO.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts