Is Aaron Jones more integral to the team than Davante Adams?

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Feels like the whole O was much more fluid and dynamic with Jones being the star man than with Adams.

What say you all?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They've both had their moments, but it's not like AJones did much for us against Tampa without D. Adams.

I still think our 2 lines are the biggest factors. MN was playing with nobody we could recognize except at ILB and Safety yet they were able to move Rodgers off his spot a lot yesterday though I don't think they go to him for a sack all that often, but it was effective. and our Dline leaves gaping holes to run through with regularity. halfway thru the 3rd quarter we're down 28-14 and our offense had the ball 4 times, unless you want to count the 1 play before the end of the 1st half. Doesn't matter if you have both Jones and Adams if you can't get the ball back to them.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense was hardly bad yesterday without Jones. They moved the ball into Viking territory on every drive(?). Unfortunately they stalled out due to terrible penalties, crucial drops, and being forced to go for it on 4th due to the wind.

St. Brown squeezes either of those balls and it's different game.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense was hardly bad yesterday without Jones. They moved the ball into Viking territory on every drive(?). Unfortunately they stalled out due to terrible penalties, crucial drops, and being forced to go for it on 4th due to the wind.

St. Brown squeezes either of those balls and it's different game.
that 4th down TD drop EQ had I still can't get over I thought we had it for sure when Rodgers was able to get that ball off and give him a shot to come down with it

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Feels like the whole O was much more fluid and dynamic with Jones being the star man than with Adams.

What say you all?

I think the Offense is better when both are playing. If Williams is injured, I would expect to see a drop off as well. Dillon I assume was suppose to bridge that drop off and make one of them expendable, he hasn't as of yet. Also, hard to gauge this offense right now. They played really well against some weak or banged up defenses, then stunk against one of the best defenses. Yesterday, I thought they looked good first half, 2 possessions, 2 TD's. They were their own worst enemy in the 2nd half and the Vikings defense stepped it up. I still think they need Lazard back and one more starting WR, but that doesn't improve what is turning out to be a very shaky defense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
that 4th down TD drop EQ had I still can't get over I thought we had it for sure when Rodgers was able to get that ball off and give him a shot to come down with it

If it was the one he stretched out, had for a moment and dropped, I agree, totally should have made the catch. The one in the EZ, Adams might make that catch, but even for him, it would have taken a great catch.

One thing I wish Rodgers would stop doing and maybe its because it is his only option, but if we need 8 yds on 3rd/4th down...stop going for 30! I don't care if it looks semi-open, take the sure thing at 8 yds, if it is there.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard for me to say who's more important. It's kind of like an apples and oranges thing.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The endzone pass was deflected by the DB, it was not a pure drop IMO at all and EQ doesn't deserve the heat there. The one where EQ was diving and Rodgers literally put it on the only spot EQ had a shot cleanly that one I'm fine with folks saying was a drop. You could see EQ trying as best he could to twist his upper body to not allow his elbow to take the entire brunt of the impact - which ultimately is what jarred that thing free. Sucked.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You could see EQ trying as best he could to twist his upper body to not allow his elbow to take the entire brunt of the impact - which ultimately is what jarred that thing free. Sucked.

Sucked worse to tune in the Eagles game and see Travis Fulgham make some really nice catches. I'm not really going to hold that one against Gute or the Packers, but I can still say it stings....so close but yet so far. Maybe in a normal season, they might have seen him play in a Preseason game and he would have stuck around longer than 9 days.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sucked worse to tune in the Eagles game and see Travis Fulgham make some really nice catches. I'm not really going to hold that one against Gute or the Packers, but I can still say it stings....so close but yet so far. Maybe in a normal season, they might have seen him play in a Preseason game and he would have stuck around longer than 9 days.

Fulgham does appear to be fitting that bill of what might of been types. I'll be interested to see if he continues to excel.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The endzone pass was deflected by the DB, it was not a pure drop IMO at all and EQ doesn't deserve the heat there. The one where EQ was diving and Rodgers literally put it on the only spot EQ had a shot cleanly that one I'm fine with folks saying was a drop. You could see EQ trying as best he could to twist his upper body to not allow his elbow to take the entire brunt of the impact - which ultimately is what jarred that thing free. Sucked.

Yep, he had that ball until his arm/elbow hit the ground .

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Fulgham does appear to be fitting that bill of what might of been types. I'll be interested to see if he continues to excel.

Not comparing him directly to Lazard, but I would say that both players have a lot to prove still to be considered a long term contributor in the NFL. But this is impressive.....

Most receiving yards in NFL since Week 4 [when Travis Fulgham started playing]

435 … Travis Fulgham
430 … George Kittle
413 … Tee Higgins
410 … Robby Anderson
407 … Stefan Diggs
403 … Julio Jones
401 … Allen Robinson
383 … T. Kelce
383 … D.K. Metcalf
383 … D.J. Moore

D

Deleted member 6794

What say you all?

Jones is a top running back in the league but it's definitely easier to adequately replace him than an elite wide receiver like Adams.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones is a top running back in the league but it's definitely easier to adequately replace him than an elite wide receiver like Adams.

I was not referring to a one for one replacement.

Having Jones (without Adams) and the whole O was more dynamic and flexible. We were running multiple plays with similar player set in field. Somehow all that got nixed when Adams was back in and the plays get concentrated on Adams. We are less dynamic overall.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Honestly I thought J. Williams did more than a fine job in his place and they didn’t miss much not having Jones out there. I think the wind played a factor

D

Deleted member 6794

Having Jones (without Adams) and the whole O was more dynamic and flexible. We were running multiple plays with similar player set in field. Somehow all that got nixed when Adams was back in and the plays get concentrated on Adams. We are less dynamic overall.

The Packers mostly having faced terrible defenses in the games Adams missed over the past two seasons have led to several fans believing that the offense could work without him. There's absolutely no truth to it once facing better competition though.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You're a lienent grader on the drops. Both of those were drops. Yes the first one was worse than the second but both drops. The one in the end zone smith only gets a chance to knock it away because st brown doesn't make the initial catch. Had eq made a strong snatch there, smith doesn't have a chance eq was well above him with a chance to secure it...smith even says to him after the play you f'd that up and you can see eq body language after smiths comment and you can tell eq felt he dropped a td. Tough catch absolutely but catch nfl players make all the time absolutely...back to back drops that did really change the game and I'm an eq fan I thought he was really gonna help the team this year hasn't materialized yet

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're a lienent grader on the drops. Both of those were drops. Yes the first one was worse than the second but both drops. The one in the end zone smith only gets a chance to knock it away because st brown doesn't make the initial catch. Had eq made a strong snatch there, smith doesn't have a chance eq was well above him with a chance to secure it...smith even says to him after the play you f'd that up and you can see eq body language after smiths comment and you can tell eq felt he dropped a td. Tough catch absolutely but catch nfl players make all the time absolutely...back to back drops that did really change the game and I'm an eq fan I thought he was really gonna help the team this year hasn't materialized yet
while that endzone catch would have been tough it's one of those types catches one of these guys needs to make to show they belong. I'm willing to give him a couple more games, he hasn't played a lot since coming in the league and he was pretty young when he did anyway. Sometimes they have to grow into it and confidence is a real thing for some.

Adams when a rookie made some catches that made everyone take notice. Cobb, Jordy, Lazard even. Just the way they go get the ball. it shows you they belong. MVS has had a couple nice catches, but for everyone he has 1-2 that should be fairly routine and aren't. EQ needs to make a catch like that in the endzone and then build off it. It's time to show something kid. That drop for the 1st down prior is one that yes, anyone can drop. I've seen Jordy drop easier, but those are exceptions. That pass was perfect and hit him right in the hands.

Until these guys start regularly coming thru, those aren't going to be swept aside as those are the "oh well he dropped it" plays of practice squad players and journeymen.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Honestly I thought J. Williams did more than a fine job in his place and they didn’t miss much not having Jones out there. I think the wind played a factor

What they miss with Jones vs williams is the threat to score on every play from anywhere on the field. That certainly does not exist with Williams on the field. Jones just has a nose for the end zone that williams does not, few players do, but jones is one of em. And because of that defenses aren't worried about williams like they are jones. Jones opens things up for other guys much the same way davante does. By being the focus of the defense on every single play.

And side note unrelated against the bucs, a great defense, both adams and jones played...adams was out played by carlton davis and I think jones had 10 carries 15 yards he was shut down by Devin white and lavonte david

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What they miss with Jones vs williams is the threat to score on every play from anywhere on the field. That certainly does not exist with Williams on the field. Jones just has a nose for the end zone that williams does not, few players do, but jones is one of em. And because of that defenses aren't worried about williams like they are jones. Jones opens things up for other guys much the same way davante does. By being the focus of the defense on every single play.

And side note unrelated against the bucs, a great defense, both adams and jones played...adams was out played by carlton davis and I think jones had 10 carries 15 yards he was shut down by Devin white and lavonte david
williams is definitely not as explosive or a threat to score like Jones, but I don't think he's one defenses can "not worry about". I think he's a pretty decent back in his own right and if you can consistently get 3-7 yards and be a real threat out of the backfield, while he may not score on the 70 yarders he can consistently move chains and when you're doing that, it takes longer, but you have to be more disciplined. You can't go on a 70 yard drive and then commit 20 yards in penalties to kill it. But those can wear out a defense and really open up the later part of the game too. Defenses will pay attention to that. They have to. It's just different, and we're used to seeing big strike score fast over the past 10 years.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Every throw a WR believes he should catch, and they should have that mentality.

How was that play graded by impartial stat keepers? I haven't seen if it was ruled a drop....I highly doubt it was ruled as such.

James Jones early on in his career wouldn't even have gotten two hands on that ball...he was TERRIBLE early. I didn't declare him a bust like many did early....I won't on ESB quite yet. Granted I don't necessarily am saying I see EQ's ceiling as high as Jones got to (solid #2 guy in his prime)...I'm more in that #3 absolute highest on EQ.

D

Deleted member 6794

How was that play graded by impartial stat keepers? I haven't seen if it was ruled a drop....I highly doubt it was ruled as such.

According to Pro Football Regerence EQ has two drops on five targets this season. Don't know if they assigned him one vs. the Bucs though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
According to Pro Football Regerence EQ has two drops on five targets this season. Don't know if they assigned him one vs. the Bucs though.

So he is progressing like many of the Packer WR's ;)

Of the 3 WR's (Moore, MVS and EQ) that Gute drafted in his first draft, I am actually most bummed about EQ. I actually thought Gute landed a whale with EQ. Loved his film, his work ethic, what scouts were saying, his IQ and the program he came from. I am not giving up on him yet and injuries haven't been kind, but of all teams to be trying to prove your worth as a WR, he has a golden opportunity in Green Bay.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Williams but he isn't as good a back as Jones is. AJ's vision is just so superior. We are lucky to have the RB room we have.

IMO Adams is a top WR in the league. It is remarkable how well he does when every team's defense we face is geared to stopping him and most likely not as worried about our other WRs out there. When we have both Jones and Adams in the lineup our offense is better.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

James Jones early on in his career wouldn't even have gotten two hands on that ball...he was TERRIBLE early. I didn't declare him a bust like many did early....I won't on ESB quite yet. Granted I don't necessarily am saying I see EQ's ceiling as high as Jones got to (solid #2 guy in his prime)...I'm more in that #3 absolute highest on EQ.

As far EQ goes I'd consider the first one a drop but not the second one. I think the official drop scorers are a lot more lenient than most fans are when it comes to what is a drop or not. Of course many fans allow their personal feelings to be included. If they like a guy its not a drop, if they don't like him...drop. If they counted the second one my guess is there would be a heck of a lot more drops throughout the league than there actually are.

Members online

Latest posts