Irish Man in Green Bay

irishpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dublin, Ireland, E.U., Earth, Milky Way, Universe,
Afternoon chaps,

Right, I'm planning on going to my first packers game this season!!! I'm working on getting tickets at the moment, but more importantly, How the hell do I get from O'Hare airport in Chicago to Green Bay with out flying??? There seems to be no train or bus service (which doen't involve a million changes!)

Oh, I havent been driving long enough so I cant rent a car abroad.

Any tips would be great!!!

(also , got any tickets???)

CHeers,

CP

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
10000 Bessie Coleman Dr
Chicago, IL 60666
Change address or drag marker

Drive: 195 mi – about 3 hours 17 mins

1. Head south on Bessie Coleman Dr 0.2 mi

2. Merge onto I-190 E via the ramp to Chicago 1.1 mi 2 mins

3. Take exit 1C to merge onto I-294 N toward Rockford/Milwaukee/I-90 W Partial toll road 13.4 mi 15 mins

4. Merge onto I-94 W Partial toll road Entering Wisconsin 63.0 mi 1 hour 5 mins

5. Continue on I-43 N (signs for I-43 N/Green Bay) 108 mi 1 hour 43 mins

6. Take exit 180 to merge onto WI-172 W toward A. Straubel Airport/WI-32 6.4 mi 6 mins

7. Take the exit onto US-41 N toward Marinette 1.7 mi 2 mins

8. Take exit 167 to merge onto Lombardi Ave 1.4 mi

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe there are a number of hotels in the Milwaukee area that offer a bus from Ohare to Milwaukee. After that, find a bus from a local bar or you could try Greyhound bus service.

I suggest finding a bar or charter group from a ticket broker. Shoot, call a travel agent.

But without being able to rent a car, you really limit yourself.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe there are a number of hotels in the Milwaukee area that offer a bus from Ohare to Milwaukee. After that, find a bus from a local bar or you could try Greyhound bus service.

I suggest finding a bar or charter group from a ticket broker. Shoot, call a travel agent.

But without being able to rent a car, you really limit yourself.
GREAT points Axel! If he can get a bus to Milwaukee, stay over there, it should be an easy Greyhound ride to GB.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
10000 Bessie Coleman Dr
Chicago, IL 60666

3. Take exit 1C to merge onto I-294 N toward Rockford/Milwaukee/I-90 W Partial toll road 13.4 mi 15 mins

6. Take exit 180 to merge onto WI-172 W toward A. Straubel Airport/WI-32 6.4 mi 6 mins

He can't drive Zero........so that doesn't help him. He needs a bus or something like that.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
10000 Bessie Coleman Dr
Chicago, IL 60666

He can't drive Zero........so that doesn't help him. He needs a bus or something like that.
I read his post. I know he can't drive.

HITCH!

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello Irish Man! You are going to have a great time.

You could take a shuttle (shared van) or a car service to Milwaukee or Kenosha. (But Milwaukee is more fun to spend the night!) Maybe some hotels provide this service, or you can find one online. You can then take a Greyhound bus from Milwaukee to Green Bay.

You can take an Amtrak train from Chicago to Milwaukee, but it will take some time to get to the train station from O'Hare. This doesn't make much sense to me, and you can't take the train to Green Bay.

You can also take the blue line (the elevated train/subway) from O'Hare to the Greyhound bust station downtown. They have a bus to Green Bay. This could be an interesting experience.

O'Hare also has tons of private bus companies (which are nicer and more expensive than Greyhound). Try http://www.coachusa.com/vangalder/ , http://www.megabus.com/us/ , etc. Do some googling for O'Hare bus service.

There may be a better way, but these give you some ideas.

The best way is this. I live in Chicago---hook me up with a ticket and I'll drive you to the game and back. :)

OP
OP
I

irishpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mornin lads,

Ye, as a tourist I'm kinda fecked headin to the states as its all about the car over there, none of this public transport lark!

Ye, I think I'll have to find a drunken ex-pat in Chicago and try bum a lift up and back. I'm a poor college student so none of that fancy 1st class coach nonsense! Also, I'll be arriving on the Friday, have to be home by Tuesday!!!!!!!!! so cant be stayin over in the back **** of no-where!

Apparently I can get an Amtrack, with a change at Millwaake, and arrive at a play called Appelton, which according to the map is only 15miles from GB. But again, it doesn't seem like there is any bus to GB.

Do you think if I just make it to Milwaake... (cant spell) and play the Irish card, you know, get all diddly-di and start sayin "to be sure to be sure", will some american local give me a lift???

CP

Core

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im going for the oakland game in december myself and trying to find out how to get from chicago aswell (without having to pay a small fortune for the flight). I've managed to find tickets, but for the insane price of around 400$ each way. I dont know why, but I thought it would be more cheap..

Looks to me that renting a car is the only way for me. Easy to find? :)

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be completely honest, I think you are in over your head on this one. Only giving yourself 4 days and not being able to rent a car while flying into a city that is 250 miles away from your destination is going to be tough.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are there any other airports that he could fly into Green Bay from ? I remember being in the Cincinnati airport this summer and noticed a flight into Green Bay.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Minneapolis has flights into Green Bay. He could go from Chicago to Minneapolis to Green Bay. you could reroute from O'hare, but that adds LONG hours to your trip, and it would be quicker to drive. And that would be expensive. I'm looking on Orbits.com and the flights from Chicago to Green Bay are at least $400, and money is an issue here, as he said.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he's in over his head, it is not so bad. It will be a lot of travelling though. Could you stay a day or two longer? If not, it's still OK. The Greyhound bus from Chicago to Green Bay is 7 hours, that would work, wouldn't it?

First, taking Amtrak to Milwaukee is probably a bad idea in your case. Why? Chicago is HUGE. To get to the Amtrak station you have to go the wrong direction from O'Hare. This will add hours to your trip.

If you want to go to Milwaukee first you need to take a shuttle or bus directly from O'Hare. There are TONS of private bus companies there, you will have no problem getting to Milwaukee. Get your ticket ahead of time, though.

Once you are in Milwaukee you can take a Greyhound bus or a another private bus company to Green Bay. If you spend Friday night partying in Milwaukee and playing up the Irish card you may well get a ride. Remember, tons of people in Milwaukee have season tickets and will be making the drive. Also, Americans will be powerless in the face of your accent.

Remember that flights to Green Bay are usually expensive and often unreliable.

You could post an ad on the Chicago Craigslist site saying that you are coming from Ireland and want a ride to the game. Plenty of people from Chicago will be making that drive, maybe you'll get lucky.

I was serious about my offer, too. ;)

BlueMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I went last year, I flew to Chicago then drove to GB. The drive was one of the most enjoyable parts of the trip (that is, once we got past the toll booths).

The drive really gives you a sense of place. Give yourself some time to check out the cool little towns on the lake too.

Scrap the Amtrak idea. Just get a rental and drive. You'll be glad you did.

TM

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i would like to rescind my declaration that you're in over your head. johnny_blood is right, you'll do fine if you can handle going on hardly any sleep (and you're a college student. no problem, right?). Play up the Irish card. If you did that, I know I couldn't resist driving your *** to the game!

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Try the old thumb in the air method, or what we call hitch-hiking. Get a piece of cardboatrd and print "BEARS FAN NEEDS RIDE" and hold it up, but only while you are in Illinois. Then, when you get into Wisconsin, get another one and put on it "PACKER FAN NEEDS RIDE TO LAMBEAU." You'll be there in no time.

OP
OP
I

irishpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I once got 14 different buses from Helsinki to Bratislava in 2 days 13hrs!.... dont ask! So I think I can manage 4 days to get from chicago to green bay and back! ... Plus there will be no Latvian Gangsters trying to steal stuff out of the bag hatches under the bus everytime you stop at a bus stop! Funny story, must tell you some time!

Anyway, I'm likin this hitching a lift lark, there is a bus from O'Hare to milwaaaaaake, so thumbin a lift seems like a good idea. Seen as how nice you americans are that doesn't seem like too dodgey an idea.

Cool, its sorted then!! Now all I need is to get tickets.

interesting fact fot ya: My Friends (who was born in american and moved here) his Cousin is Vice President of the NFL apparently, and he can get me tickets!!! What a hero! His name is something Brown??? I dunno never heard of him! All I know is that I cant wait to see Brett before he dies/retires, whatever comes first!

I may be on this website lookin for a lift to green bay so if you want a crazy drunken Irish man singin about the rain in Conamara and one or two other mates on backing vocals in your car headin north to the land of Bays that are Green, keep your eyes open and you may get lucky enough for me to ruin your car!!!!!!!!!!

In conclusion, GO PACK GO! ... indeed

OP
OP
I

irishpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, Someone suggested flying to another airport rather than Chicago. BAD IDEA!!! Aer Lingus fly direct to Chicago. If I want to go anywhere else obscure like cinnnncinnnnnnacccccaatttttttttttiiiii (what a stupid name, bloody indians!) I'd have to fly to london first, adding a whole other flight I'd have to pay for! So No deal on that, my Liberty minded friend!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, Someone suggested flying to another airport rather than Chicago. BAD IDEA!!! Aer Lingus fly direct to Chicago. If I want to go anywhere else obscure like cinnnncinnnnnnacccccaatttttttttttiiiii (what a stupid name, bloody indians!) I'd have to fly to london first, adding a whole other flight I'd have to pay for! So No deal on that, my Liberty minded friend!

I meant rerouting once you get to Chicago. But, that is just as bad an idea as adding a flight in London. All in all, flying in to Green Bay is really difficult and I think your idea should result in quite an adventure. Have fun!

Members online

Latest posts