New Zealand Packers Fan on his way to first USA vacation, first stop Green Bay.

Mkan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, been a fan for a few years since a buddy introduced me to the game. Never really liked watching any sports (originally British and never got into soccer), even rugby here barely captures my interest, until I started watching NFL and was hooked. Gamepass is a godsend allowing me to keep up with games. Ever since I started following the packers I have been planning a trip to Green Bay. This year I decided to make it happen and bought tickets for the Lions game in a couple of weeks. A bit disappointed that I won't see Rodgers play but I'm not a fair weather fan and maybe after a long two weeks practise with the starters Hundley can come back as a viable option.

I know nobody in Green Bay, staying in an Air BnB close to the field. any tips on what to do while Im there let me know. Also any tips on what to wear (apart from a Jersey) would be gratefully received. I already have a stadium tour booked and will go to the hall of fame after.

While in US I will also catch the Packers Chicago game in Chicago, visit the hall of fame in Canton, catch the Steelers Titans game and the Chargers Bills game.

OP
OP
M

Mkan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks, yeah I've been reading a few posts there already but don't have the privileges to post myself yet. Any idea how cold its likely to be for the game? I was planning on thermal underwear, jeans, shirt, hoody, jersey thick socks and Basketball boots. Is that going to cut it? Those waterproof ponchos are available at the game if it rains I suppose?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Too far out to know yet on the weather. Won't be subzero. Check out this. We've been much above average this fall. Haven't had much frost yet. That is to change this week. Ponchos are not available AFAIK at the stadium. Hit the stores when you get to town if you need one. They cut the wind too.

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are basketball boots? You should be OK with the thermal underwear, but the hoody may be a little light if you're accustomed to warmer climates. Generally, that time of year you can expect temperatures between around 35 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit, with something in the 40s being most likely. November tends to be a windy month, too. Keep in mind that you'll be mostly sitting in one place on a metal bench for about 4 hours, and not generating a lot of body heat. Better to overdress than to underdress - you can always take off a jacket if you get too warm. Whether it's a sunny or cloudy day makes a big difference, too - 35 degrees and sunny is a lot more comfortable than 40 degrees and cloudy.

I'd suggest bringing some sort of seat cushion, too - those metal seats can get pretty uncomfortable. If this is your first NFL game, I would recommend a pair of binoculars if you have them. Not sure where your seats are, but when the action is all the way down the other end of the field, they can come in handy. And yeah, definitely bring a rain poncho.

Enjoy the game. Get there early, wearing Packer gear, and carrying or wearing something that readily identifies your New Zealandness. Wander around in the parking lot smiling a lot, saying hi to everyone you meet, and you'll be so stuffed with bratwurst by the start of the game you won't eat for days. There are good restaurants in Green Bay, but you aren't coming all the way from New Zealand to eat in a restaurant. You have restaurants there. In order to get the full experience, you need to eat tailgate bratwurst.

OP
OP
M

Mkan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are basketball boots? You should be OK with the thermal underwear, but the hoody may be a little light if you're accustomed to warmer climates. Generally, that time of year you can expect temperatures between around 35 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit, with something in the 40s being most likely. November tends to be a windy month, too. Keep in mind that you'll be mostly sitting in one place on a metal bench for about 4 hours, and not generating a lot of body heat. Better to overdress than to underdress - you can always take off a jacket if you get too warm. Whether it's a sunny or cloudy day makes a big difference, too - 35 degrees and sunny is a lot more comfortable than 40 degrees and cloudy.

I'd suggest bringing some sort of seat cushion, too - those metal seats can get pretty uncomfortable. If this is your first NFL game, I would recommend a pair of binoculars if you have them. Not sure where your seats are, but when the action is all the way down the other end of the field, they can come in handy. And yeah, definitely bring a rain poncho.

Enjoy the game. Get there early, wearing Packer gear, and carrying or wearing something that readily identifies your New Zealandness. Wander around in the parking lot smiling a lot, saying hi to everyone you meet, and you'll be so stuffed with bratwurst by the start of the game you won't eat for days. There are good restaurants in Green Bay, but you aren't coming all the way from New Zealand to eat in a restaurant. You have restaurants there. In order to get the full experience, you need to eat tailgate bratwurst.

Thanks for the advice. I actually do better in the cold than the warm but Auckland weather has softened me up (it never gets below freezing here). By Basketball boots I just mean classic Nike high tops like dunks or airforce 1. My seats are about two thirds down the pitch, halfway up, behind packers bench. For all the other games I see though I'll be up in the gods so the binoculars is a good tip. For a cushion I was thinking of sitting on one of those U shaped cushions you put round your neck on flights. I've used one before during a concert and it was surprisingly comfortable. Perhaps I can wear a NZ flag as cape (everyone will think Im Australian but oh well)? Otherwise was thinking of bringing a stuffed Kiwi bird and tying it to the top of a cheese head when I get there. Sounds like the investment will be worth its weight in sausage (literal, not metaphorical). What time should I get to the pitch for a Monday night game if Im planning to try to make tailgate friends?

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I actually do better in the cold than the warm but Auckland weather has softened me up (it never gets below freezing here). By Basketball boots I just mean classic Nike high tops like dunks or airforce 1. My seats are about two thirds down the pitch, halfway up, behind packers bench. For all the other games I see though I'll be up in the gods so the binoculars is a good tip. For a cushion I was thinking of sitting on one of those U shaped cushions you put round your neck on flights. I've used one before during a concert and it was surprisingly comfortable. Perhaps I can wear a NZ flag as cape (everyone will think Im Australian but oh well)? Otherwise was thinking of bringing a stuffed Kiwi bird and tying it to the top of a cheese head when I get there. Sounds like the investment will be worth its weight in sausage (literal, not metaphorical). What time should I get to the pitch for a Monday night game if Im planning to try to make tailgate friends?

Oh, shoot, I forgot it was a Monday game. Well, forget every single thing I said then.

Just kidding!

Do forget what I said about the weather, though. Subtract about 15 degrees F from my temperature projections, and forget what I said about the sun being a factor. You're definitely going to want more than a hoody. The night time temperature will probably be around freezing, maybe significantly below. You're going to want an actual winter jacket, and probably a winter hat like a stocking cap. Hat's important, because you'll lose as much heat through your head as you would if you had one of the sleeves of your jacket rolled all the way up. Gloves are a good idea too. Are you a skier? If you had good ski gear, that would cover most of what you need, especially if you layer up underneath it with thermal underwear and a hoodie.

I don't know about the footwear, though. You might be asking too much out of your basketball hightops. If they're roomy enough to wear a thick pair of thermal socks, they might be OK, but I'd be leery of it. Will you have hiking boots? I always travel with a pair. They're often a little better insulated than basketball shoes, and water resistant - which would be useful if it rains. Remember that you'll just be sitting there for hours, and the concrete floor of the seating area will suck the heat from the uninsulated soles of your shoes. Your feet could get pretty cold if the temperature is beow freezing.

As for what time to arrive... I've never been to a Monday night game, so someone else shoud probably answer that. If nobody does, I would guess that at least 2, maybe 3 hours would be a good target to shoot for.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Chemical hand warmers, body, and toe warmers will take the place of at least one layer of clothing. Make make your lightweight shoes tolerable. Read the info in other threads that I linked to. It is there for a reason. Also visit the Packers website for updated security and carry in policies.
Weather is too far out yet to tell. I'd bank on -5 - 10C (Kiwis use Celsius?) for that time of day and year. If not starting in that range, it will get there on your way out. Hope for no wind. I'd not expect much beyond snow flurries at that time either. Too early for a blizzard or really anything much more than a good dusting.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For tail gaiting I get there about 3.5 hours ahead of game time. If I'm setting up at a friends house, I get there about 4 hours early, but most people are in that 2-3 hour range.

OP
OP
M

Mkan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys persuaded me with your -10C talk and I bought a Columbia heavy weight down jacket. I have a pair of mountain climbing boots with thinsulate but they're pretty heavy and I'd rather not have to lug them all the way. I'll see how my feet fit in my Nikes with the heavy hiking socks. Thanks again for all the advice!

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys persuaded me with your -10C talk and I bought a Columbia heavy weight down jacket. I have a pair of mountain climbing boots with thinsulate but they're pretty heavy and I'd rather not have to lug them all the way. I'll see how my feet fit in my Nikes with the heavy hiking socks. Thanks again for all the advice!

Probably the best solution overall. The down jacket will probably be more than you need, but better to be too warm than too cold. It isn't so much the teperature itself - it's the fact that you're just sitting there for hours, without doing anything to generate body heat. People who are used to being out and about when the temperature is in the 20s tend to think it's not that uncomfortable, but then they go sit on a metal bench for 4 hours and can't understand why it seems so cold.

My main hiking boots are medium mid-top hikers, and adapt well to almost every situation. A heavy mountain boot would probably be overkill, and yeah, they'd take up half a suitcase. I get around that with mine by just wearing them on the plane, but mountain boots aren't good traveling boots.

Members online

Latest posts