Interesting Article About Our Play Calling.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So season ends and MM and AR can't stand each other or being on the same team.....who is out of GB?

I dont see that happening now..Maybe if issues are still here next season then yes MM may need to go.

A q.b like Rodgers isnt in every draft- or Ted prob wouldnt trade/ get one in fa

Since Rodgers is so special, I believe you keep him and let go of MM if they is a choice that needs to be made

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/bumblingpackers.html

Articles like this will be running all during the off season, unless some how the Packers mysteriously figure things out. Although, even if things do come together and we win a game or two in the playoffs, I don't think this will be a quiet off season with the way the offense unraveled. Not sure just how many changes will be made in GB to try and correct it, but won't be shocked if something rather major does happen.

Last edited:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said, a problem that has been pretty well talked about in the media and on here all season. The better question/thought is......what is the solution? Running out of time to find one and so far the Packers players/coaches don't seem to have one.

Yeah, everyone - the fans, the media, the opposing teams figured it out several weeks ago. But MM and company have no clue how to make adjustments.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont see that happening now..Maybe if issues are still here next season then yes MM may need to go.

A q.b like Rodgers isnt in every draft- or Ted prob wouldnt trade/ get one in fa

Since Rodgers is so special, I believe you keep him and let go of MM if they is a choice that needs to be made
But a player that thinks they're bigger than the team isn't any good for anyone either. When one guy can do no wrong and he can never be held accountable, not only will there be rifts with coaches, but eventually it will be with the players too, and I don't care who you are, you can't do it alone. an uncoachable QB, even as talented as Rodgers will can only do so much.

IF MM was truly a poor coach maybe i could understand it a bit more, and even then, you do your job on the field and resolve these issues off it. The pissing match shouldn't occur on the field. But McCarthy has the respect of everyone else in the league, if he can't get it from his QB too, we're in trouble no matter who is here or not.

eta: I just wanted to add, I don't believe this is the issue. I think it's nothing more than things have snowballed and everyone is frustrated and searching for answers. Players and coaches a like. I do NOT think MM and Rodgers have some great divide between them that is going to divide the team.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
eta: I just wanted to add, I don't believe this is the issue. I think it's nothing more than things have snowballed and everyone is frustrated and searching for answers. Players and coaches a like. I do NOT think MM and Rodgers have some great divide between them that is going to divide the team.

I'm in the same "camp of explanations". I think there has been mounting tension/frustration all over the place between players and coaches. Which is only normal when things aren't going as planned. It's very hard to keep a level head when the sky is falling around you. There will be those who criticize these highly paid players and coaches for not being able to "shake it off and be professionals." But just like you and I , they all are human and put their pants on one leg at a time. Once the dust settles and this season is safely behind them, I hope that this experience fuels this team to a productive off season and preseason to better prepare for the 2016 Season.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Sitton was on the radio today talking about the offense needing to get their groove back...something he mentioned after the game. He said he thinks their groove is the run game. Rodgers said they need to open it up more like they did in the 4th quarter and take chances. MM wants Rodgers to get better protection and better protect the ball. What does all of this mean??? No one is on the same damn page. This is not fixable during a regular work week of football or probably even in season at all. Better hope the D balls out and Janis returns a kick or 3.
A quarterback wanting to open it up more..an offensive lineman wanting to rum the ball more..and a head coach preaching about winning the turnover battle. I'd say that actually sounds about right.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A quarterback wanting to open it up more..an offensive lineman wanting to rum the ball more..and a head coach preaching about winning the turnover battle. I'd say that actually sounds about right.
Exactly, what QB doesn't want to throw more? What offensive linemen doesn't just want to run block?

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Play calling cannot be blamed on a standalone basis without considering other reasons too.

1) Nelson's injury. He regularly gets double teamed and draws the safety opening spaces for Cobb/Adams to shine. Didn't happen this season. No matter what play if they safety is free, it cuts WR productivity sharply.
2) Player form. Cobb/Adams have been operating below last years standards for various reasons. You ideally would expect a player of Cobb's caliber to beat his marker if one on one. Didn't happen.
3) Rodgers comfort. If AR was confident in his O-Line his performance is better. With a leaky line, he is ready to scramble from get go and is always half avoiding the passer rush. Kinda drains concentration and productivity.

And yes, play calling gets it's share of blame too. We've underutilized our TE. Richard/Andrew are not world beaters, but our play calling never got them to full productivity.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Sportswriters and talking heads always have the answers, don't they?

I liked this comment:

"RBurns9751
1/5/2016 11:36 AM CST
The Packers route running philosophy seems to be - find the nearest DB and stand next to him.

- from a longtime Packers fan."

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sportswriters and talking heads always have the answers, don't they?

I liked this comment:

"RBurns9751
1/5/2016 11:36 AM CST
The Packers route running philosophy seems to be - find the nearest DB and stand next to him.

- from a longtime Packers fan."
I didn't write that lol

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Run blocking is important, as Sitton says; and linemen like to run block. The problem is: we don't run block well-- this year, and most years. Last year, when our line was ranked no. 8 in the league in run blocking (by DVOA), we ranked only 25th in "power"(success on 3rd or 4th w 2 yds or less to go), and 24th in "stuffs" (number of times stopped at or behind LOS). Campen's lines have averaged 17th in run blocking over the last 9 years. Saying you need to run more would seem to require a line that is able to block well, year after year. Maybe it's injuries; maybe it's the quality of the players; maybe it's coaching. Whatever, it isn't getting better year after year.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't put a lot of stock in Play calling over the long term though a coach can always lose a game or two with bone headed calls. The reality is that the Packers don't have the talent at TE and WR to run an offense. The field is squeezed by their lack of speed. Most teams are now bringing 8 to 9 men in the box. No team can run against that and it also takes away the short quick throws. The truth is TT is negligent by leaving the TE position in such a mess. While it's more difficult to find a fast WR in mid season he should have tried after the coaching staff rejected Janis as Nelson's deep threat. It's not play calling but a lack of talent that killed the offense.