Interesting Article About Our Play Calling.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Been hearing/reading about this all season. Basically "Packers offense is an open book to read by defenses", predictable and with a decent pass rush, easy to shut down.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Really clears up what the problem is...good read.

As I said, a problem that has been pretty well talked about in the media and on here all season. The better question/thought is......what is the solution? Running out of time to find one and so far the Packers players/coaches don't seem to have one.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
This is a good read.

I don't know who the author is-- maybe he is a genius play caller or something, but most likely he is a typical sports beat writer with out anything close to the level of expertise that an NFL defensive coordinator would have access to when creating a strategy to defeat the Packers.

Scary- and maybe an accurate reflection of what is going on. Would explain a lot.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That coverage looks even tighter in pictures. Really explains why he can't throw it or even scramble on most plays. They've thrown him off his game with the coverage and poor offensive line performance.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. that puts pictures and and explanation to the awful offense this year. Some coaching staff butts need to be chewed for that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said, a problem that has been pretty well talked about in the media and on here all season. The better question/thought is......what is the solution? Running out of time to find one and so far the Packers players/coaches don't seem to have one.
exactly, what is the solution? He brings up a point where they are all running the same route, basically to the sticks and turn around. it's 3rd and 10. when they run receivers at different levels, they don't get open. They can't beat a man off the line, so a lot of times quick passes don't work. If they have been open, rodgers has missed them, how do you call a better play if your QB misses it? If they run short routes, they have rarely gotten extra yards this season. YAC is all but a faint memory with this team compared to what it has been. So what play and routes should they have run for that down and distance when considering what has and hasn't worked up to that point in the game and season? Things they never touch one.

IMO, it's just some cherry picked plays to "prove" their point of view. It may have everything or nothing, or any variation in between to what is actually the culprit. Funny how our antiquated route tree and play calling resulted in some of the best offenses in the league, there for all the world to see, week after week after week in a league that takes abaout 4 games for coordinators to figure out a new wrinkle, it took them 5 years?? Whatever, we're just not playing well at all levels. From QB to the line to the receivers, everyone is making mistakes and they're compounding into what we have. The rest is just excuses.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll post what I've posted before. The Packers have had 3 playcallers this year with Clements, McCarthy and Rodgers all getting at least a share of the work.

So I'm left with this: what's more likely? After 10 very successful years McCarthy suddenly doesn't know how to call plays? Or our receivers simply can't/haven't beat press man coverage?

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it's a small sample size and it might not represent the whole picture, but there are some take aways. In the first picture it clearly shows Rodgers missed the open receiver settling in the zone. The other pictures leave something left to be desired with the route construction. If the guys are having trouble beating their man, why aren't we running quick routes more often that open up natural picks?

I'm far from an expert, but it just seems like a culmination of things. We need to get Quarless out there and open up the middle of the field. It's like we can't get anything done in that area.

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I

So I'm left with this: what's more likely? After 10 very successful years McCarthy suddenly doesn't know how to call plays? Or our receivers simply can't/haven't beat press man coverage?

Have plays, strategies, approaches changed a lot in 10 years but McCarthy has not kept up? So he used to be good but has not evolved? Or am I confusing play calling too closely to technology, which has changed a lot in 10 years?

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
These route concepts work when mismatches are created due to roster depth. If the opposing teams D-Backs are mismatched because your number 3 and 4 receivers are better than their 3 and 4 DBs then you have guys getting open and forces teams to bring in extra DBs or play zone. When you are missing a #1 then these mismatches disappear. Add inexperience, drops, and lack of speed in the receiving core then you have a recipe for disaster.

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you overcome a recipe for disaster? Maybe do lots of crazy things, trick plays? Perhaps not for the first quarter to see how things are going, but if the plan is not working in a win-or-go-home-game, then what's there to lose by doing unexpected wild things? It could be considered desperation or brilliance or both.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have plays, strategies, approaches changed a lot in 10 years but McCarthy has not kept up? So he used to be good but has not evolved? Or am I confusing play calling too closely to technology, which has changed a lot in 10 years?
I'm sure as the game has evolved play calling has as well, but look no further than last year. The Packers offense ranked #1 in points scored.

Sky King

Reaction score
This offense went from stud to dud very quickly. Too quickly. So what has changed since last season? In priority order and based upon my own personal theories and pure speculation, I offer the following:
  1. Coaching changes/assignments on offense absent a fluid chain-of-command and with too many moving parts
  2. A. Rodgers bizarre lack of consistent accuracy and decision-making, formerly uncommon strengths
  3. Minimal interest and imagination at back-filling glaring weaknesses through free-agency
  4. Underwhelming if not totally incapable back-ups at OT
  5. Injuries to key players at key times
  6. A pedestrian receiving corps across the board
  7. An inconsistent running game with no true change-of-pace back
  8. Retirement of their long-time analytical guru, Mike Eayrs, just after their game versus the Chiefs

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Sitton was on the radio today talking about the offense needing to get their groove back...something he mentioned after the game. He said he thinks their groove is the run game. Rodgers said they need to open it up more like they did in the 4th quarter and take chances. MM wants Rodgers to get better protection and better protect the ball. What does all of this mean??? No one is on the same damn page. This is not fixable during a regular work week of football or probably even in season at all. Better hope the D balls out and Janis returns a kick or 3.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So Sitton was on the radio today talking about the offense needing to get their groove back...something he mentioned after the game. He said he thinks their groove is the run game. Rodgers said they need to open it up more like they did in the 4th quarter and take chances. MM wants Rodgers to get better protection and better protect the ball. What does all of this mean??? No one is on the same damn page. This is not fixable during a regular work week of football or probably even in season at all. Better hope the D balls out and Janis returns a kick or 3.
Sitton also said there is dis connect and has been for 12 weeks.

He was asked about MM and AR having issues and I think he alluded to there is something going on.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That article is old news - someone linked to an article making the same point a while ago but I can't find it. I really don't understand how McCarthy and staff can't see this - yes there are other problems on offense but they should be running routes exclusively to beat man coverage until they make a D play zone or a combination zone. And running isolation routes the majority of the time is the opposite of that.

The Redskins D is 26th in rushing yards surrendered per game (122.6) and tied for 30th in average per rush at 4.8. IMO the Packers will have to establish a running attack to help open up the passing game and let's hope they run some - hell A LOT of - routes the Redskins haven't watched on tape.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sitton also said there is dis connect and has been for 12 weeks.

He was asked about MM and AR having issues and I think he alluded to there is something going on.

Crazy.....thats just mind blowing that these 2 could be in a pissing match for 3/4 of the season. The HC and the leader of the team. How can anyone else know which one to follow? Did they throw down during the bye week? That is basically when this started. I could see them disagreeing on something and then moving on....but for it still to be unresolved is hard to swallow.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players not plays? Plays not players?

It's 50/50. The level of effort these WRs put into running routes will lead to failure no matter what is called. The play calling is also unimaginative. It didn't need to be creative when you had Jordy and Rodgers throwing well. No we don't know what to do now that we need strategy and creativity in the offense.

If I see Adams run his route straight into the arms of another DB and then turn around to see what's happening, I'm going to puke on the tv. He's not the only one. These guys are trying but certainly aren't trying their hardest to get open.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So season ends and MM and AR can't stand each other or being on the same team.....who is out of GB?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sitton doesn't sound too confident with where the team is headed AND bought his wife/GF a trip to Hawaii for Christmas for the Pro Bowl....someone not expecting to be playing in the SB?