Inside Linebackers

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go back and watch Hawk trying to get to the edge. It doesn't matter who is playing NT for us in that situation but an upgrade at the position would be nice.
Trust me, I know. He looked terrible against the Bears as well. We're trying to describe which turd is worse when they both stink

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate to pile on AJ hawk but the guy makes like zero impact plays. CM3 played ilb one game and looked better than I've ever seen Hawk. This is a guy who's been in the middle for like 5 yrs now.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well I got two words. "Denzel Perryman". If you don't know who he is yet watch him play Saturday against Florida State.

Hopefully Clay can band-aid the situation for a run this year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Hate to pile on AJ hawk but the guy makes like zero impact plays. CM3 played ilb one game and looked better than I've ever seen Hawk. This is a guy who's been in the middle for like 5 yrs now.
Well that's not fair. Clay is much, much more talented than Hawk! ;)

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing, the packers can win titles with Hawk at ILB, he just needs a good NT to keep the trash off him. There aren't many ILBs that would be terribly effective with our NTs in front. The focus should really be on finding a good NT since he would make the entire front seven look light years better.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand it's all subjective, but in general, I think Hawk has been disparaged for years, and some of those included Raji and Pickett in the middle.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Here's the thing, the packers can win titles with Hawk at ILB, he just needs a good NT to keep the trash off him. There aren't many ILBs that would be terribly effective with our NTs in front. The focus should really be on finding a good NT since he would make the entire front seven look light years better.

They have moved Clay Matthews to ILB so that should tell you they aren't so sure with Hawk holding down the inside duties. Yes, an upgrade at NT would help and Hawk isn't scared to mix it up but our defense gets gashed on the edge at gaps 4-9 in the second level and Hawk is a liability there. I have nothing against Hawk it's just the facts. He is too slow.

Sure we can win a Super Bowl with Hawk but if Rodgers isn't having a great a day and we get in a close game with a team that can run the ball on the edge we could be screwed.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This all plays into the offseason again. What is our top defensive priority? Probably DT and ILB so hopefully those will be addressed near the top of the draft along with TE and RT, assuming Bulaga walks....errr hobbles into free agency.

Even if we draft a ILB in the first couple of rounds, we don't have a solid starter for next season who knows this defense unless Hawk stays there or Barrington/Lattimore takes a big step forward. Even a free agent would struggle out of the gates. We have Hawk for a while longer.

D

Deleted member 6794

Even if we draft a ILB in the first couple of rounds, we don't have a solid starter for next season who knows this defense unless Hawk stays there or Barrington/Lattimore takes a big step forward. Even a free agent would struggle out of the gates. We have Hawk for a while longer.

C.J. Mosley and Chris Borland have been productive players this season for their respective teams. Rookies can make an impact at the position.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Show me the statistics to back up your assertion that this is the likely outcome. We all would agree that they can make an impact, but it's more the exception than the norm.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Show me the statistics to back up your assertion that this is the likely outcome. We all would agree that they can make an impact, but it's more the exception than the norm.

First of all I really like how TT does things but the one thing he didn't do was address ILB during the off-season. At NT we had Raji and he brought in Guion. The only thing he did to address ILB was signing a couple UDFA's. There is no guarantee that any rookie or free agent is going to come in and be productive but to not even attempt to address it when we knew Hawk was slow and Brad Jones wasn't really any good before the season kind of makes you go hmmmm.

I guarantee Philly is going to try and find ways to match up McCoy and Sproles on Hawk and it doesn't favor us. I don't know about statistically but it won't look good on film.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have moved Clay Matthews to ILB so that should tell you they aren't so sure with Hawk holding down the inside duties. Yes, an upgrade at NT would help and Hawk isn't scared to mix it up but our defense gets gashed on the edge at gaps 4-9 in the second level and Hawk is a liability there. I have nothing against Hawk it's just the facts. He is too slow.

Sure we can win a Super Bowl with Hawk but if Rodgers isn't having a great a day and we get in a close game with a team that can run the ball on the edge we could be screwed.

There are inside linebackers that don't need the protection of a decent nose tackle, they're few and far between. Hawk isn't a good inside linebacker but his problems are exacerbated by weak nose tackle play in front of him. When you're discussing the run defense and specifically the inside run, you can't discuss the inside linebacker without talking about the nose tackle.

And this team can't expect to win a title with Rodgers playing poorly no matter who's at linebacker because so much of the team is built around him.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our ilb play has been so bad I forgot about the NT haha. I think they bring Raji back but I think TT looks for one early.
I agree,flip flop either way,ILB or NT may be a 1 and a 2 in this springs draft and maybe Pennell makes a jump next year.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yeah we can re-hash it to death but this just seems like such an ongoing familiar topic. I will say our defense is better then last year and is a couple pieces away from being pretty darn good.

D

Deleted member 6794

I never said it's the norm for a rookie ILB to make an impact but it's possible. Mosley and Borland have proven that this season. I'm not sure which stats you want me to come up with to support my claim but I guess a combined 35 tackles by Borland over the last two games proves he's having an impact.

In addition a rookie doesn't have to do a whole lot to be better than our current ILBs.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An overlooked post, but this is correct. Our ILB position is slightly below adequate but NT is terrible unless Guion is playing the Vikings. ILB's also look better when a good NT is taking up the blocks and making the occasional play.
Guion looked good again. I'll eat part of my crow. I hope that he continues to play inspired football

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guion looked good again. I'll eat part of my crow. I hope that he continues to play inspired football
He has been balling out and that's going to have to continue for us to keep playing at this level. When your line keeps the OL busy it changes the game in so many ways. Linebackers are able to move with more freedom and make impact plays opposed to tackles from behind 7, 8, 9 yards down-field. Also, when you have your guys locking their man up it allows greater QB access for the guys that are stunting and blitzing. That hit he put on Sanchez was a thing of beauty! Guion has nice size and plays with a pretty good burst so fingers crossed he can keep up his current level of play because I think that's a must for this team to get to it's end goal. I can't help but imagine how this unit would look with BJ in there as well. We would be able to rotate more and keep guys fresh but injuries happen and I am pretty pleased with the job they've done without him. Just keep balling out boys and good things are on the horizon. GPG!!

Members online

Latest posts