Injuries

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The discussion of the brace preceded the time of the MRI, at least on the sources I could backtrack or timestamp. Could still be the plan post MRI which is a good sign one would guess. I struggle to like the fact we may risk losing another OLB for longer if he plays hurt.
Agreed.

I think initially they didn't think there was anything so bad, that the brace wouldn't allow him to play. Guessing the MRI was precautionary, just to be sure.

The Packers are suddenly very thin in the way of talent and experience @ OLB, including Preston who isn't at 100%,

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had the same injury as Gary does when I was a Junior in High School. To make a long story short, the coach said no football until cleared by a doctor. So, I went to one, and told him I needed a slip to be readmitted to school. He made one out, but verbally said; "No football for at least two weeks." I said; " OK!"

Got home, called a friend, and we worked on one of us being able to copy the doc's handwriting. The note said; "Please readmit *** XXXX to school." We simply added "including all activities, including football."

I ended up playing at middle linebacker, but had to pass on playing fullback. I couldn't carry the ball properly. It was a lot of pain, but a friend of mine helped me put so much tape on that the elbow was nearly rigid. I did make some plays, but got pummeled at times by blockers. I couldn't fend them off with my right hand. Slowly the pain went away, but none too soon, because it was my right arm, and I was right handed on the basketball court.

To be honest, he may try to play through it, but at the level he's playing at, he's not going to be able to wrap on ball carriers, or use that arm to shed blockers. It's going to be very difficult, but I give him credit for giving it a shot. I understand the pain. There's something about football that makes us ignore the pain as much as possible.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FYI none of the running backs you mentioned are protected this week.

The Packers activated Benkert from the COVID-19 list and released Bortles on Monday.

Teams are allowed to have six veterans on the practice squad this season.
Did I read somewhere that Bortles is starting for the Jets this week or was that a drunken conversation I had with myself?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did I read somewhere that Bortles is starting for the Jets this week or was that a drunken conversation I had with myself?
The Jets fans were talking about Bortles over a year ago. Could still be going down that rabbit hole.

Reaction score
Looks like Bakhtiari didn’t practice again today. It’s looking like we are proceeding with supreme caution there. However, if there’s not any setbacks, I do think David will be back on the field after our Bye week.
It’s just a guess, but I think we will see Za’darius suit up sometime in December.

J’aire I can’t figure out. The only thing I can surmise is that we are allowing him to be fully healed up good before postseason.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Bakhtiari didn’t practice again today. It’s looking like we are proceeding with supreme caution there. However, if there’s not any setbacks, I do think David will be back on the field after our Bye week.
It’s just a guess, but I think we will see Za’darius suit up sometime in December.

J’aire I can’t figure out. The only thing I can surmise is that we are getting to get him healed up good before postseason.

I've wondered if the excelling nature of this secondary has allowed much greater caution than what may have been with Jaire otherwise. I mean I don't think it would change much of the treatment but we keep stacking wins, makes allowing him to heal more and more only benefits us now and long term - as I don't think Gute and Co are going to let him go play anywhere else and we will extend him.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've wondered if the excelling nature of this secondary has allowed much greater caution than what may have been with Jaire otherwise. I mean I don't think it would change much of the treatment but we keep stacking wins, makes allowing him to heal more and more only benefits us now and long term - as I don't think Gute and Co are going to let him go play anywhere else and we will extend him.
makes a lot of sense, but it also makes me wonder how important they feel the #1 seed is. it seems like it would almost be worth having him active on game days just in case we have another key injury. if he's healthy enough, that is.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ri
makes a lot of sense, but it also makes me wonder how important they feel the #1 seed is. it seems like it would almost be worth having him active on game days just in case we have another key injury. if he's healthy enough, that is.

Right now the CBs have been more than good enough. The AC joint injury takes about 6 weeks to heal if its a grade 2 and 12 weeks if its grade 3. We just hit the 6 week mark last Sunday. Apparently hes been at practices on the sideline so I have to assume hes getting close. I think they bring him back after the bye week. The medical staff is incredibly conservative when it comes to injuries and with the way things are going this season I think they want a rested team when it comes to the final stretch after the late bye.

Reaction score
I’m kinda reading between the lines. After this much time our staff has a very good idea of the seriousness of these injuries and corresponding recovery.
If either J’aire or Z. Smith were deemed season ending? they’d have easily made that designation by now.

I think Za’Darius might be 2-4 weeks ahead of Alexander. At this point we are likely looking at the benefit of waiting until after the bye week to start bringing players back. That gives them all 3+ more weeks to get into football shape while only missing 2 more contests.

As long as we are winning, the pressure is off to rush anyone back. Similarly, I’d just hold Baktiari out the next 2 games and then turn him loose after the Bye

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why push a guy into the game when the defense has been playing great without him? The #1 seed is not as important as winning the Super Bowl. I recognize that homefield advantage makes a difference, but if we push a guy back too early and he isn't available for the critical playoff games....that is an even worse problem to deal with.

Reaction score
Might not even be a bad idea to split snaps at LT for David’s first game back, whenever that will be.
Let Elgton come in fresh after Halftime to ease David into the fold. Then make the full switch if he’s feeling good in practice the following week.

I’m glad we had this conversation. Let me see if I can break into MLF’s office and make sure he’s aware of our plans. I know I feel better :tup:

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I criticized the Packers about a week ago for not play Bak but after some research it shows recovery time for offensive lineman is 10.5 months +- 1.5 months.

Probably a bit early for him has well.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, not everybody is Adrian Peterson or Russell Wilson in the healing department. Maybe if Bahktiari was slamming tall glasses of milk and orange juice instead of beer at sporting events, he would have healed faster.

I kid, I kid...I would never begrudge someone for enjoying the world's finest beverage.

Everyone knows the story of beer and Milwaukee. I had family that worked for Schlitz. I was always surrounded by beer. Fast forward to being 18 and not smart enough to be accepted at Madison so I went off to school at the University of Minnesota. Great move by the way. However, each time that I came home there was a familiar odor in the air just as I passed County Stadium. It took me several trips home that freshman year until I had the epiphany. The yeast factories! Yes, every time that I passed by the yeast factories that lined I-94 near the Miller Brewery it smelled like yeast. Conversely, when I went back to school and drank beer at parties or at work in the bar, the smell of the yeast and beer reminded me of home. To this day, pouring a beer and smelling that yeast is a comforting feeling. Maybe that's why I also like to bake...the yeast!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yup, not everybody is Adrian Peterson or Russell Wilson in the healing department. Maybe if Bahktiari was slamming tall glasses of milk and orange juice instead of beer at sporting events, he would have healed faster.

I kid, I kid...I would never begrudge someone for enjoying the world's finest beverage.

Everyone knows the story of beer and Milwaukee. I had family that worked for Schlitz. I was always surrounded by beer. Fast forward to being 18 and not smart enough to be accepted at Madison so I went off to school at the University of Minnesota. Great move by the way. However, each time that I came home there was a familiar odor in the air just as I passed County Stadium. It took me several trips home that freshman year until I had the epiphany. The yeast factories! Yes, every time that I passed by the yeast factories that lined I-94 near the Miller Brewery it smelled like yeast. Conversely, when I went back to school and drank beer at parties or at work in the bar, the smell of the yeast and beer reminded me of home. To this day, pouring a beer and smelling that yeast is a comforting feeling. Maybe that's why I also like to bake...the yeast!
You have quite the nose for Saccharomyces. :coffee:

D

Deleted member 6794

The Jets started Joe Flacco yesterday.

Bakhtiari not being able to practice all week after he was participating once activated off the PUP list is a reason for concern.

makes a lot of sense, but it also makes me wonder how important they feel the #1 seed is.

I'm absolutely convinced the Packers consider the #1 seed to be extremely important but there's no reason to rush back any injured player who's not 100% healthy.

I’m kinda reading between the lines. After this much time our staff has a very good idea of the seriousness of these injuries and corresponding recovery.
If either J’aire or Z. Smith were deemed season ending? they’d have easily made that designation by now.

With teams being allowed to activate unlimited players off injured reserve this season there's no reason to designate a player out for the season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yikes! When I look at this list all at once, its a lot. Nov. has noth been kind to the Packers.

PLAYERPOSITIONUPDATEDINJURYINJURY STATUS
Aaron RodgersQBWed, Nov 24ToeQuestionable for Week 12 vs. L.A. Rams
Elgton JenkinsOTWed, Nov 24Knee - ACLIR. Injured Reserve

Tuesday, November 23, 2021​

David BakhtiariOTTue, Nov 23Knee - ACLDoubtful for Week 12 vs. L.A. Rams

Monday, November 22, 2021​

Aaron JonesRBMon, Nov 22Knee - MCLQuestionable for Week 12 vs. L.A. Rams
Allen LazardWRMon, Nov 22ShoulderQuestionable for Week 12 vs. L.A. Rams
Rashan GaryOLBMon, Nov 22ElbowQuestionable for Week 12 vs. L.A. Rams
Malik TaylorWRMon, Nov 22AbdomenQuestionable for Week 12 vs. L.A. Rams

Sunday, November 21, 2021​

Whitney MercilusDESun, Nov 21BicepsIR. Injured Reserve
Chauncey RiversLBSun, Nov 21Knee - ACLIR. Injured Reserve
Kylin HillRBSun, Nov 21Knee - ACLIR. Injured Reserve

Sunday, November 14, 2021​

Robert TonyanTESun, Nov 14Knee - ACLIR. Injured Reserve

Thursday, November 11, 2021​

Jaire AlexanderCBThu, Nov 11Shoulder - AC JointIR. Injured Reserve. Expected Return - Week 14

Thursday, November 4, 2021​

Josh MyersCThu, Nov 4KneeIR. Injured Reserve. Expected Return - Week 14

Friday, October 1, 2021​

Za'Darius SmithOLBFri, Oct 1BackIR. Injured Reserve. Expected Return - Week 14

Friday, August 13, 2021​

Randy RamseyLBFri, Aug 13LegIR. Injured Reserve

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yikes! When I look at this list all at once, its a lot. Nov. has noth been kind to the Packers.

Aaron RodgersQBWed, Nov 24ToeQuestionable for Week 12 vs. L.A. Rams
Elgton JenkinsOTWed, Nov 24Knee - ACLIR. Injured Reserve

Tuesday, November 23, 2021​

David BakhtiariOTTue, Nov 23Knee - ACLDoubtful for Week 12 vs. L.A. Rams

Monday, November 22, 2021​

Aaron JonesRBMon, Nov 22Knee - MCLQuestionable for Week 12 vs. L.A. Rams
Allen LazardWRMon, Nov 22ShoulderQuestionable for Week 12 vs. L.A. Rams
Rashan GaryOLBMon, Nov 22ElbowQuestionable for Week 12 vs. L.A. Rams
Malik TaylorWRMon, Nov 22AbdomenQuestionable for Week 12 vs. L.A. Rams

Sunday, November 21, 2021​

Whitney MercilusDESun, Nov 21BicepsIR. Injured Reserve
Chauncey RiversLBSun, Nov 21Knee - ACLIR. Injured Reserve
Kylin HillRBSun, Nov 21Knee - ACLIR. Injured Reserve

Sunday, November 14, 2021​

Robert TonyanTESun, Nov 14Knee - ACLIR. Injured Reserve

Thursday, November 11, 2021​

Jaire AlexanderCBThu, Nov 11Shoulder - AC JointIR. Injured Reserve. Expected Return - Week 14

Thursday, November 4, 2021​

Josh MyersCThu, Nov 4KneeIR. Injured Reserve. Expected Return - Week 14

Friday, October 1, 2021​

Za'Darius SmithOLBFri, Oct 1BackIR. Injured Reserve. Expected Return - Week 14

Friday, August 13, 2021​

Randy RamseyLBFri, Aug 13LegIR. Injured Reserve
It's insane. The only thing that is even a glimmer of hope in all of it is that we have three guys who might be able to return to action about week 14, so they could be rounding into shape by playoff time. All 3 could play a significant part in how well we do closing out the season and beyond.

D

Deleted member 6794

I just moved the discussion here as it doesn't have anything to do with the Rams game and the mods definitely don't want it to drag into another thread.

They could get activated for the Rams or any game for that matter and I’ve never said they couldn’t. Your response is nothing but a sly attempt to sidestep your initial argument.
You posted 2 separate rebuttals because I simply used the verbiage “season- ending”. You are incessant that I somehow “made up” that terminology and that it doesn’t exist.
So you’ve got the floor Captain..

I want you to tell us why all theses teams are using this fictitious language and how all the teams are wrong? Use 1 example of a player that has been IR’d. Activated then IR’d again (season ending IR) and is still actively playing today. You can pick from any of the 32 teams or even use an player example from earlier points in 2021. I seriously want to learn where I am wrong mirroring this terminology in using the “Season-Ending” phrase.

Once again, teams don't put players on injured reserve with a season-ending designation. Let's use the transactions taken from NFL Communications as proof when taking a look at Khalil Mack and Elgton Jenkins:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

In addition take a look at the designation next to Marquez Stevenson and Jay Tufele. They were placed on the same list as Mack and Jenkins before but were designated for return once they were ready to practice again.

Teams communicate that a player is done for the season based on the severity of an injury but there's no specific list to put them.

There are some rules in place for IR though with one of them being that a player being put on it for the second time can't be activated again and is done for the year.

That’s fine. That wasn’t our (Captain and Myself) initial argument. Captain pointed out 2 separate times that the words “season-ending” are not a designation. I let it go the first time, then he pushed on a second time and so on. He claims it’s fictitious jargon. That’s our argument. Is this fictitious? A simple Yes or no is fine. Are there players deemed season ending and IR simultaneously?
I make enough screwups without having Captain manufacturer screwups that ain’t there. ;)

Once again, it's not an official designation used by the league (see above). The discussion started with you claiming that Alexander and Z not being designated as season ending being cause for optimism that they will be able to return this season. Instead of being offended that I pointed out there's no such list you should have accepted that you erred on it.

I just repeated what the article said. You saw the link write the author.
You’re dancing around the argument that YOU started (twice before I could answer!)
I never said players couldn’t be activated from IR and the reason I believe you brought that up? You are skirting your specific rebuttal. Point is you won’t answer the question because it’ll by default prove you are wrong. I’m wrong all the time, but you can’t admit 1 time you made a mistake in your 2 initial responses to my post.

Are teams incorrect in deeming players “Season Ending IR”?? A simple yes or no??

Fire Barry already! Plus please Lord don’t say “Season Ending” though! It’ll drive someone mad because they have nothing better to do than look for something that isn’t there.

I don't have any issue to admit being wrong, have done it on multiple occasions around here. With that being said you're the one not understanding how injured reserve works this season (heck, you truly believed players on IR count against the roster limit) yet have an issue with it being pointed out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts