Incompetent Officiating

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will someone please hold these guys accountable for not knowing what the hell they are doing? First of all, that PI on Bigby was bs. Then they take 10 minutes to review something that should not have been reviewed.

Im at the end of my rope with these idiots.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not even the half of it. You can't challenge a fumble after the play is blown dead unless the call on the field was that he fumbled.

That call on Barnett was BS as well.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not even the half of it. You can't challenge a fumble after the play is blown dead unless the call on the field was that he fumbled.

I believe that you can, this year. Some type of rule change. The best part of that play was them saying that it was a fumble, but they couldnt tell who recovered it, as the Panther was getting up with the ball.

OP
OP
IronMan

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:

I believe that you can, this year. Some type of rule change. The best part of that play was them saying that it was a fumble, but they couldnt tell who recovered it, as the Panther was getting up with the ball.
Yeah that was pretty bad.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The calls were pretty bad.

It's easy to say that when you lose, but it's a bigger thing when you WIN and still complain. MAN did they suck. WOW!

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The calls were pretty bad.

It's easy to say that when you lose, but it's a bigger thing when you WIN and still complain. MAN did they suck. WOW!

No two ways about it. They are awful.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at the game and there were a lot of people in my section who said the same thing I've been saying, "we need professional refs."

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will someone please hold these guys accountable for not knowing what the hell they are doing? First of all, that PI on Bigby was bs. Then they take 10 minutes to review something that should not have been reviewed.

Im at the end of my rope with these idiots.

You also forgot to mention that you could see from the replay that the reciever stepped out of bounds, which should take away a penalty any way right?

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:

Yeah, we should have lost the ball on that play. I think they were mainly trying to figure out if Favre was down before it came out, but it was still a strange call.

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The worst part about that call was they STILL got it wrong.

I believe they said, Favre DID fumble, but it wasn't clear who recovered the fumble, so the play stands. WHAT?!

hamkins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree completely that the refs are bad. They ruled that Bigby's pass interference is what caused the receiver to go out of bounds, which absolves him of any foul for coming back in and first touching the ball. I've looked at it five times, and that is the right call. Bigby pushed him out of bounds.

On the fumble, they never really showed enough of the play for me to see who recovered it, so I reserve judgment. Perhaps Favre quickly recovered then let go of the ball. That the defender walks away with the ball at the end doesn't mean he was the first to recover it.

Week in and week out, I think the refs are doing great. If you compare them to MLB umpires, which are professionals and who have a union, there is no question that the NFL officiating is better. The union protects umpires from incompetence, and the union fights things like the TV being able to show overhead shots of the plate (where their inside/outside bad calls are exposed), whereas in the NFL the officiating of every game is reviewed afterward for accuracy, and the best refs are rewarded. They're GREAT!

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I believe they said, Favre DID fumble, but it wasn't clear who recovered the fumble, so the play stands. WHAT?!

that is correct. They call on the field was no fumble. So there had to be conclusive evidence to overturn it. There wasn't so it was not rules a fumble.

officiating is an extremely hard thing to due and get right most of the time much less 100% of the time as most demand.

As many of you know, I officiate hockey at high school and above levels. Things happen so quick and everyone has diferent angles so the ability ot get EVERY call right is impossible. Position is SO important.

Think of it this way. Make your self make the call without any instant replay. How many times do you think something happened when it didn't or vice versa. These guys are amazing in how many times they get the right call with only one chance.

They aren't perfect but they sure do get crucified like the one guy that was.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Last night ( not Packer game )

Forgot who was playing, but a Wr got up from a nice catch ( non td catch ) he tossed the ball to the ground and made the ball spin..He got a penalty on that!!!

then in another game a wr scored a td, had the ball do the same thing and no penalty..
WTF???

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
axelred13 said:

that is correct. They call on the field was no fumble. So there had to be conclusive evidence to overturn it. There wasn't so it was not rules a fumble.

officiating is an extremely hard thing to due and get right most of the time much less 100% of the time as most demand.

That is incorrect. They said that Favre did infact fumble, but they couldn't tell who recovered it. Now, I haven't gone to officiating school, but I'm 100% sure Peppers came up with that ball.

About the spinning the ball, the difference is one happened at the end of a regular play, and the other ended after a score. Celebrating a TD by spiking/spinning is allowed.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The referees conspired before the game and decided to be consistent in their ineptness...

At least they got THAT part right... On both sides of the ball.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These refs should get together and decide what the right calls are before making them. I agree with LT, I have seen in some games where the refs dont call a penalty and in another game they do. I dont get it. IMO if they are going to call a penalty it should be the same in ALL games not just one or a few. Just dont make any sense to me. And the call on Bigby was BS.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to set the record straight

The (still horrible) Bad Call on interference went against Bush, not Bigby.

Bigby legally knocked the crap out of the receiver and was not flagged on the play.

Why there was a review was because after going out of bounds the Panther receiver could not be the first to touch the ball. If they had ruled it that way on the field -- which they should have -- it would have been off setting penalties.

After reviewing the play, they decided that the first penalty negated the second -- which is incorrect if they had called it correctly on the field.

Bush simply played good position and defense. The only call should have been for illegal touching of the pass.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I felt he did cause interference as he bumped into the reciever knocking him out of bounds. It wasn't untill after contact that he looked back for the ball.

Heather, so much of officiating is judgement. Not all is the same. things like blocking from behind is illegal but from the side is legal. Well, where exactly do you differentiate the two? And depending on your angle of view where is the fine line?

Show ten people something relaly quick and you are likely to hear 10 different viewpoints. It is not an exact science.

Favre's fumble on the field was not called a fumble on the field. So there had to be conclusive evidence that it was funbled and recovered by the opposition for it to be over ruled. There wasn't conclusive evidence.

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is LEGAL to bump a receiver if you are looking back for the ball. EXACTLY what Bush was doing at the time of the bump. Should have never been PI and should have resulted in an incomplete pass.

packattack92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at the game and there were a lot of people in my section who said the same thing I've been saying, "we need professional refs."

I'd like to see some professionals out there making calls.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bumping is incidental contact if the player is looking to make a play on the ball - which Bush clearly was doing It was not interference if the ref makes the right call.

CB 101 teachs CB's to use the sidelines as a third defender. Bush made a good football play, the ref made a bad call.

I was simply relaying why the ref was asked to review the play by the folks upstairs.

Bush may have touched the ball first, but that is what he was under the hood looking at.

FrozenTundra1979

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PI is such a complicated foul, it's no wonder so many of them are botched. because the ref has to look at so many indicators they make rash assumptions. Generally their assumptions are correct because the majority of DBs never play the ball, but this instance Bush was robbed. I call shananigans and look forward to Pete reviewing that call on NFL network.

Members online

Latest posts