In a transitional season, a hero or two has emerged

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to use this thread to talk about people who have played or coached well this season.

It's easy to simply say the whole team sucks. That isn't true.

Antonio Chatman has been downplayed his entire career in Green Bay. He stepped up this year and without his play, the offense would be even worse. I don't recall Chatman every dropping a punt. He might not return many, but he's sure handed.

Donald Driver is always a man. The attempt at a catch Sunday near the end zone shows again he will sacrifice his body to the team.
Brett Favre has had his ups and downs. Everyone has focused on his interceptions, but would the Packers have any chance without him? With no running game?

B.J. Sander. The unmerciful pounding he took from all sides last year was unbelievable. His simply shut up and worked hard and would all the critics come forward now to be identified?

Al Harris might be having his best year as a pro. When the best receivers in the league say he's among the best, it says much.

Robert Thomas. He came as an afterthought in St. Louis and was thrown into a starter's role in a defense he'd never played in. Overall, he's been a positive.

Nick Collins is going to be a star in this league. A middle finger to the sports talk show host I got into it with after the Packer draft who said the Packers draft was "the worst in the history of the NFL". Seems like Collins has already proven that wrong, fatso.

Ahmad Carroll? Nuts you say? Everyone pointed to Joey Thomas as the future star and Carroll on waiver wire. Or is it the other way around?
Carroll has finally started to show he has the ability to back up the mouth.

KGB has had a good year. He should, given Bates' defense is tailor-made for him. He still gets beaten on some running plays, but the offenses have to account for him.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm going to leave it there.

It's easy to throw mud at a 1-7 team, but they haven't quit, pointed fingers and have been in almost all of the games. I was brutalized on a couple of boards for saying the team was 10 points away from 5-1 before the Cincinnati game, but it's true. The P-G pointed out that if Longwell's errant kicks were true in a few games, they Packers would be at least 4-4 now.

This team isn't very far away. But the losing will likely continue the rest of the season because the playmakers are gone.(Keep in mind, we will likely lose a few more players) The other teams will focus in on the remaining players, making it even harder to win.

But all is not lost, and several players deserve a pat on the back.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen but 3 games so far this year but Collins seems to have lots of potential. The DLmen are looking pretty good too.
The Packers are losing the games that they used to win almost always.
Hammer

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would step up and be a Sander critic. 22nd in the NFL is below average. Only 18 of the 21 ahead of him in average yards have more punts inside the 20. It's not his fault 3 draft picks were used to get him. The 21 are 0 to 5 yards/punt better.

One positive stat is only the punters for Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, and Washington have punted fewer times. Well few punts is usually a good sign but when drives end in turnovers......

net you are a bit early on the Carrroll praise. I asked before the Steeler game "Over/under on Carroll getting 3 penalties" Almost all said over. It was only one. One a game is an improvement. I hope that is maintained.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KGB? To me, thus far, he has been an incredible disappointment. Not too many sacks (which is what he is all about), weak against the run..but that is probably more due to the fact that his contract dictates he be played more than situational pass rusher....and as a recent example, had Batch in both hands and lost him.

KGB is a good player, but to this point, underperforming.

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good (original) post. Agree with all of them with some exceptions. Carroll is becoming better but still needs to be more consistant as well as KGB. Another End to force the other side would be nice, kampman isn't the answer there for a pass rush.

Sanders is a big improvment over what he did last year. He hasn't had a "bad" put like last year and constantly gets it away at a respectable distance. don't ask much of a punter besides that.

I really like the play of the defense overall against the run. How many times last year did the running game kill us. It has almost been a non-factor in games minus a few at key points. But no big plays on the running game helps a lot.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
B.J. Sander is 23rd in average distance, but 10th in net average, which is by the far the more important number. And he's only going to get better. Interestingly, Josh Bidwell leads the league in average, but is 11th in net average--one spot behind Sander--thanks to the fact that he's booted six punts into the end zone while Sander has had only one touchback.

Brooks87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
I would like to use this thread to talk about people who have played or coached well this season.

It's easy to simply say the whole team sucks. That isn't true.

Antonio Chatman has been downplayed his entire career in Green Bay. He stepped up this year and without his play, the offense would be even worse. I don't recall Chatman every dropping a punt. He might not return many, but he's sure handed.

Donald Driver is always a man. The attempt at a catch Sunday near the end zone shows again he will sacrifice his body to the team.
Brett Favre has had his ups and downs. Everyone has focused on his interceptions, but would the Packers have any chance without him? With no running game?

B.J. Sander. The unmerciful pounding he took from all sides last year was unbelievable. His simply shut up and worked hard and would all the critics come forward now to be identified?

Al Harris might be having his best year as a pro. When the best receivers in the league say he's among the best, it says much.

Robert Thomas. He came as an afterthought in St. Louis and was thrown into a starter's role in a defense he'd never played in. Overall, he's been a positive.

Nick Collins is going to be a star in this league. A middle finger to the sports talk show host I got into it with after the Packer draft who said the Packers draft was "the worst in the history of the NFL". Seems like Collins has already proven that wrong, fatso.

Ahmad Carroll? Nuts you say? Everyone pointed to Joey Thomas as the future star and Carroll on waiver wire. Or is it the other way around?
Carroll has finally started to show he has the ability to back up the mouth.

KGB has had a good year. He should, given Bates' defense is tailor-made for him. He still gets beaten on some running plays, but the offenses have to account for him.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm going to leave it there.

It's easy to throw mud at a 1-7 team, but they haven't quit, pointed fingers and have been in almost all of the games. I was brutalized on a couple of boards for saying the team was 10 points away from 5-1 before the Cincinnati game, but it's true. The P-G pointed out that if Longwell's errant kicks were true in a few games, they Packers would be at least 4-4 now.

This team isn't very far away. But the losing will likely continue the rest of the season because the playmakers are gone.(Keep in mind, we will likely lose a few more players) The other teams will focus in on the remaining players, making it even harder to win.

But all is not lost, and several players deserve a pat on the back.

Great post : :D Although im not really sold on Carroll just yet..Need to see some more good games from him and not stupid penalties.

IGHPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not agree with all of the praise for Sanders. I feel that the worst thing the special teams couch did was make Sanders Longwell's holder. Sanders may only have had a couple of bad holds, but that is enough to shake any kickers confidence and turn a very fine kicker into a hit and miss kicker. If Sherman can't see this he should give up ad HC.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Net I think you have great post, yes Collins looks better every day, Thomas is doing great, what can I say about Chatman against all odds he plays every down like it is his last one, Driver and Harris keep working like the fine gentlemen and great players that they are.

Anyhow KGB IMHO still owes us he could be much better, I am not sold on Carroll and I think Sanders must have already learnt how to hold the ball for Longwell

Members online

Latest posts