I'm celebrating my 800th post...

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the same style as Phil, I'd like to dedicate my 800th post to....ex-Packer Head Football Coach Mike Sherman.

Although I know that he has many chinks in his armor, especially over the playoff losses as well as the loss of the Lambeau Field mystique, there are few coaches in the NFL that have the character and class as this man.

I will not miss the play-calling. I will not miss the "deer in the headlights" look on the sideline or chewing on his pen like it was the last morsel of food left on the planet.

I will miss his candor. I will miss his undying loyalty to the GB Packers.

I'm quite positive there will not be a street named Sherman Street in Green Bay, Wisconsin but I think he gave the team what he had and unfortunately, it was not enough to get the team over the top. Regardless of that fact, no one should argue that this man spent tireless hours working to get the team to bring back the Lombardi Trophy and for that, I thank him and wish him well.

Cdnpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not a Sherman fan and really never was but ND your post was dead on, the guy gave it his all and he should be commended for that. I always thought he would be a great OC just not a HC. Thanks ND for a great post!

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ND,
What hurt Coach Sherman the most was GM Sherman. Every yr the talent on the team slowly melted away. Those that remained got another yr older. Overall their productivity decreased but their salaries increased.
I think that is why, for the most part, coaches make lousy GMs. They truly love the players they have and want to keep them. Whereas a good GM is a bit more detached and can let them go "a yr or two before they start to lose their game." to paraphrase the great baseball GM Branch Ricky who wanted to trade them a yr before their skills started to decline.

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
ND,
What hurt Coach Sherman the most was GM Sherman. Every yr the talent on the team slowly melted away. Those that remained got another yr older. Overall their productivity decreased but their salaries increased.
I think that is why, for the most part, coaches make lousy GMs. They truly love the players they have and want to keep them. Whereas a good GM is a bit more detached and can let them go "a yr or two before they start to lose their game." to paraphrase the great baseball GM Branch Ricky who wanted to trade them a yr before their skills started to decline.

wpr,
You are correct in saying that GM Sherman did, in fact, hurt Coach Sherman's chances at success. He was a very loyal person for the team and probably "too loyal" to some players that should have been let go. The KGB and Hunt contract extensions hurt this club immensely. I don't think Coach Sherman was impacted by the GM part of his job when it came to game management/adjustments though and I felt he struggled in that phase as well. Thanks for the post!

Reaction score
wpr said:
ND,

wpr, you say that the talent level decreased as MS's tenure went on. Well, if that is so, then you have to admit he is a hell of a coach because he had his teams competing year in, year out. He led them to division titles after TERRIBLE starts. And to do that with below average talent would indicate Sherman is one hell of a coach. And perhaps that is why it was unfair for TT to fir MS so soon, given that he had success in almost all previous seasons with the Packers.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All ABout,
1. I have never bashed Sherman. It may well be time to replace him. I won't decide that until I see who they replace him with. The only thing I remember saying is don't give him the ax mid season. If TT was going to fire him he should wait til after the season which he did. Smart man.
2. You are the one saying the GB talent is below avg not me. I simply said the talent level on the team has decreased in the past 6 yrs. It wasn't a giant drop off (until this yr which was brought on by the injuries.) just gradual drop off over time. The biggest decr came from the players just getting older and not replacing them with quality younger players either thru the draft or FA.
3. I still question how TT can give MS a raise in Aug "b/c he merited it" and fire him in Jan AND say the team's record had nothing to do with it. But that is another issue.

Reaction score
wpr, I didn't mean to attack you personally. You summed up what many Sherman bashers think (not meaning you are a basher), and I was trying to make a point in general. Didn't mean to come at you like that. I was just trying to point out to others who had a problem with Sherman's coaching that maybe he should be given more credit.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
wpr, I didn't mean to attack you personally. You summed up what many Sherman bashers think (not meaning you are a basher), and I was trying to make a point in general. Didn't mean to come at you like that. I was just trying to point out to others who had a problem with Sherman's coaching that maybe he should be given more credit.
Understood. No prob.

Members online

Latest posts