If you were TT, would you have signed MS?

If you were TT, what would you have done?

• Extended MS' contract by now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait and see approach during the season

• Would have hired a new HC by now

• Plan on a new HC after the season

• Total voters

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is smarter to do it as the season goes. Then he is really feeling the pressure. No pressure, No wins possibily.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i would have fired his lame, incompetent *** many moons ago...

but that's just me...

(and i'm sure..several thousand other Pack fans out there, as well)

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was all for the wait and see, but one concern I (and many others) had was how players would respond to the uncertainty of his job security.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT...did the right thing. You have to address it before the season or it will become a distraction. The only risk is really a few million dollars. If 666 gets his way and the Packers suck, he can still be fired. The fans will forgive TT for that (as long as it doesn't count against the cap :wink: )

If however the rest of us get our way and the Packers go on to greatness this year, Sherman would be courted by a half dozen teams. Seattle outbids the Packers and TT's *** would be in a sling.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I am curious to see the details as the PG has noted. Could there be a buyout clause where the Packers could fire him after this season and only have to pay him for one more?

I'd like to know what Bates is thinking because I have a feeling he was hoping he'd get the job.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I agree with DePere, this eliminates all distractions, he either gets the job done or not. TT needs to determine whether this season is a success or not with the talent on this team, if Sherman falls short he has no excuse that he was a lame duck coach. As the players always complain about, NFL stands for "Not For Long" league, meaning you can be let go at anytime. I like the move.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
TT...did the right thing. You have to address it before the season or it will become a distraction. The only risk is really a few million dollars. If 666 gets his way and the Packers suck, he can still be fired. The fans will forgive TT for that (as long as it doesn't count against the cap :wink: )

If however the rest of us get our way and the Packers go on to greatness this year, Sherman would be courted by a half dozen teams. Seattle outbids the Packers and TT's *** would be in a sling.

I agree.

I think when in doubt, you go with what you've got.

Who's to say that the next coach WILL do better than Sherman? Who is to say that Some OTHER coach would have done any BETTER than Sherman in the playoffs and the preseason.?

Ties that are left un done tend to unravel and trip you up at inopportune moments...

That being said, I think I would have waited until end of the season...
BUT then again, SHERMAN might negotiate with another team between now and then and become a distraction. Remember Holmgren's last season?

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
TT...did the right thing. You have to address it before the season or it will become a distraction.
Well yes that would be nice we wouldn't want another situation like the one with Holmgrin when we could have beat the Broncos.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
I am curious to see the details as the PG has noted. Could there be a buyout clause where the Packers could fire him after this season and only have to pay him for one more?

I'd like to know what Bates is thinking because I have a feeling he was hoping he'd get the job.

Very good question, SlickVision. I'm thinking the same thing. If TT offers an extension with a buyout clause then it is a win - win situation. IF the Pack tanks this season Sherman is gone/bought out and perhaps it keeps the door open for Bates as a possible option. IF they improve this season - get farther in the playoffs then Sherman stays.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like many others, I was hoping for Thompson to wait at least a few games into the regular season before offering an extension. I have a feeling that if the Packers get off to another bad start the wheels are going to come off and Sherman will not be able to turn the team around this time. There seems to be more discord on this team than there has been at any point in Sherman's tenure. However, I admit that the contract extension will make such a meltdown less likely. Sherman is not as much under the gun now.

The fact that it's only a two-year contract is significant. Given Sherman's record and the amount of time he's been with the team already, we might have expected a four or five year contract. Thompson, as usual, is keepng his cards close to his vest. Even without a buyout clause, this will really be like a one-year extension. Should things go badly next season, Thompson could fire Sherman and the organization would only have to eat one year of the contract. If things go well, I expect the next extension to be much longer than this one.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:

If TT is worth a crap he would have told Bates before this even happened and assured him he's next in line or will be STRONGLY considered for the job should Sherman muck it up.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
ORRELSE said:
SlickVision said:

If TT is worth a crap he would have told Bates before this even happened and assured him he's next in line or will be STRONGLY considered for the job should Sherman muck it up.

Why are you not working for an NFL team with your vast knowledge? Just give the man a chance running solo as HC. Give TT a chance for pete's sake the season hasn't even started and you are basically running him out of town ALREADY.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What makes Bates a head coach? He was hired as DC...nothing else. I have heard a few people speculate about Bates as head coach. He has never even been a candidate for head coach anywhere. Miami never considered him even after he was the interim last year. If anything Bates ws assured that Sherman would be given an extension before he accepted the DC job. Nobody wants to work for a lame duck head coach.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
Why are you not working for an NFL team with your vast knowledge? Just give the man a chance running solo as HC. Give TT a chance for pete's sake the season hasn't even started and you are basically running him out of town ALREADY.

WTF are you talking about? I'm probably the biggest Sherman ********** in here. You totally confuse me with just about every one of your posts.
All I was saying is that if Bates has a problem with this extension for Sherman, I hope TT would have at least assured Bates he'd be a strong candidate for the job IF Sherman were to get fired before the deal is completed.

Back off and read the posts man. :-?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
ORRELSE said:
SlickVision said:

WTF are you talking about? I'm probably the biggest Sherman ********** in here. You totally confuse me with just about every one of your posts.
All I was saying is that if Bates has a problem with this extension for Sherman, I hope TT would have at least assured Bates he'd be a strong candidate for the job IF Sherman were to get fired before the deal is completed.

Back off and read the posts man. :-?

Read mine, man.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't want a lame duck coach where some players might tune him out. That dubious honor now belongs to Mike Tice with the Vikings who is in the final year of his contract. Advantage Packers.

Sherman has made some mistakes at times, but I like his work ethic and dedication to the Packer organization. He has a winning record most teams would love to have, so it would be hard to hire a better coach despite a few mistakes he's made.

To me this is good news. Sherman can now give 100% of his efforts to coaching, and let TT draft him the players he needs to reload. If Sherman fails this season in TT's eyes, he could still fire Sherman after the season the way Wolf canned Rhodes after 1 year. I didn't want to waste a year with a lame duck coach which I think would be a bigger mistake than firing a guy with a couple of years left on his contract if it turns out TT changes his mind about Sherman.

Hopefully in time the duo of Thompson and Sherman can have the success similar to Wolf/Holmgren or Beathard/Gibbs in Washington.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Not sure what this means if anything but I heard Navies say some players were not happy with the possible extension of Sherman's contract.
Normally I think we'd hear stuff like that from a player who is on his way out of town or the coach is on his way out of town.
My thinking is if a coach has good control over his team whether he is liked or not will not be publicly discussed in a negative light especially if he's about to sign a two year extension.

After hearing Navies talk I really don't think Sherman will be here after this season I don't know what is giving me that feeling but that's the feeling I'm getting.

Wait, crap I think it was Diggs not Navies gosh dang it! It was a LB and one of them two. I heard it on the Packers radio show with Chris Havel and Harry Sydney yesterday afternoon/evening.

Members online

Latest posts