If I Were Ted Thompson...

JWalkRulz84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These are the moves I would make through the draft. Im big on college football as well as the NFL and love to think what I would do if I were the GM, however I do not criticize decisions our GM's make simply because I know I couldnt do better...lol

Well, here it goes...

1) Let Mike Wahle Walk
REASONING: He is just simply too expensive. Our O-Line will easily be able to hold its own without him and we have our future to look at as well with Green and Walker being upcoming free agents. We have plenty of promise with Barry and Wells that Wahle can go else where and we will be just fine.

2) Re-Sign Marco Rivera
REASONING: He is a leader on this team. Favre will be back and Rivera has said that he wants to retire with Brett. I believe with this scenario we might be able to get Rivera for the "Hometown Discount." This guy will be too hard to replace not only on the field, but in the locker room as well.

3) Franchise Tag Franks
REASONING: I know we dont use him very much and I know he will come a little bit more than we want to spend. HOWEVER, in order to be able to fill Franks' spot, we would have to sign someone like Mili who might be about a million dollars cheaper, HOWEVER, Franks is about 100% better than Mili. Franks does everything right and doesnt complain.

4) Extend Walker & Green
REASONING: These are our playmakers. And they will need to be our playmakers when Favre retires. We need to make sure these guys are in Green & Gold for life. They will help provide a foundation making it easier for a young QB to come in. Davenport cannot handle the load and I believe Green will be very valuable until he is about 33 years old.

5) Re-Structure Sharper
REASONING: Sharper is still very talented. He made some lightning plays last season and he doesnt deserve any more blame than anyone else on the defensive side. I think Bates will help put him in the right position and he will be much improved last season. He will be much like Rodney Harrison.

6) Sign Bryce Fisher
REASONING: This will be one of our few FA acquistions. I like Fisher and he fills the type of player Bates likes on the end. I do believe we can get him and he will help take a lot of pressure off KGB. He will also allow Kampman to become a situational player on either side if needed on running downs. Kampman will also be able to give these guys a breather allowing us to utilize a consistent pass rush, yet keeping an effective run defense.

*We will not cut Cledtius Hunt. Bates said in his conference call that he believe he can motivate Hunt. Hopefully we see the Hunt of old.

2005 NFL DRAFT
*We trade our late 2nd Rounder & 1st Rounder to move up in the 1st Round

1 - SS Thomas Davis
REASONING: We need someone who can hit. A "Big Time" playmaker. This guy could be much like Sean Taylor. Im sick of watching team after team run crossing routes without their receivers getting punished. This guy would be well worth giving up a 2nd rounder.

2 - MLB Kirk Morrison
REASONING: A bit bigger than Barnett, and very fast. Another playmaker that will probably fall to the 2nd round because of the amount of talent in the 1st round. He is also capable of making an immediate impact.

3 - G Claude Terrell
REASONING: We will need some depth in our offensive line and we usually like to pick up at least one guy in the draft. We might have to draft someone a little higher this season simply because we might face injuries and will need someone to step up.

4 - RB Marion Barber
REASONING: I think we should not re-sign Davenport. Put a low tender on him. Barber is a very talented back and can take a lot of pressure off Green.

5 - CB Scott Starks
REASONING: He is small, but is known for his ball skills and has a nose for the big play. He could be a "Diamond in the Rough" type player and can also compete for the nickle position, possibly even a starting position.

6 - QB Bryan Randall
REASONING: A fast, strong armed QB that with the right tutoring, could have the tools to be a very good quarterback. With good weapons around him, he could be much like a faster, more accurate Donovan McNabb.

7. WR Chad Owens
REASONING: Chatman is not a very good punt returner. His skills are improving at receiver, HOWEVER, Owens has a lot more potential at more positions.

2005 Potential Depth Chart
QB - Brett Favre, Craig Nall, Bryan Randall
RB - Ahman Green, Marion Barber, Tony Fisher
WR - Javon Walker, Donald Driver, Robert Ferguson, Chad Owens
TE - Bubba Franks, Ben Steele
LT - Chad Clifton, Brad Bedell
LG - Scott Wells, Claude Terrell
C - Mike Flanagan, Grey Ruegamer
RG - Marco Rivera, Steve Morley
RT - Mark Tausher, Kevin Barry

DE - Kabeer Gbaja Biamilla, Aaron Kampman, Corey Williams
DE - Bryce Fisher, R-Kal Truluck, Kenny Peterson
DT - Cledtius Hunt, Donnell Washington, Cullen Jenkins
NT - Grady Jackson, James Lee
WLB - Nick Barnett, Paris Lenon
MLB - Kirk Morrison, Torrance Marshall
SLB - Na'il Diggs, FREE AGENCY
CB - Al Harris, Joey Thomas
CB - Ahmad Carroll, Scott Starks
FS - Darren Sharper, Michael Hawthorne (Moved to safety)
SS - Thomas Davis, Mark Roman

This would give us a very good defense with only 1 Free Agency move. Just the way Thompson likes to do it.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling Kirk Morrison will go in the first round. With his size and athleticism, i don't think he'll make it into the second round. I would also like to see the Packers pick up a QB in the second or third round to prepare for the post Favre era. Although, if the Packers traded one of their second round picks to get Thomas Davis, I wouldn't complain. We could use someone like him to anchor the secondary.

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice post Jwalk Sounds good to me. Just one question. You don't have a punter in your draft picks which round are you going to take a punter? Ha Ha

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a tough time thinking we'll be able to move far enough up to get Thomas Davis with only one extra pick (but if we could do it I make that trade in a second). Unless a DE like Pollack, Roth or Tuck falls to us at #24, I think we should trade down and stockpile some picks. I also think Safety can be addressed by picking up Shazor (if we trade down to the upper part of the second) and Brimmer (with our late second round pick and if we release Sharper). We can also get a guy like Rudd probably with our higher second round pick.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wouldn't say the OL will EASILY be able to do without wahle.

i don't pay a ton of attention to barber but i didn't think he was coming out.

as a tech fan, i love randall but i don't see them dumping jt.

OP
OP
J

JWalkRulz84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
Looks good, but we need more than four receivers and we need a KR/PR :)

Thats why I drafted WR Chad Owens from Hawaii...

That way we will have Walker, Driver, Ferguson, Owens, Chatman

And I think Owens would be better suited as KR/PR

OP
OP
J

JWalkRulz84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Marlin Jackson is overrated a little bit. Good Michigan players seem to get overhyped around draft time because Michigan is always a good team, however for some reason it never seems like first round Michigan players seem to pan our and always have some sort of problem...Tim Biakabatuka, David Terrell, Charles Woodson (cancer?). I know that was the past, however right now, I just wouldn't put any trust in to a player like Marlin Jackson until the 2nd round...

I think Burnett is solid. However, with teams like Cleveland, Seattle, New Orleans, and Minnesota all picking in front of us with the same problems as us, its tough to think that Burnett is going to fall to us. I would love to have Burnett though. I would love to have Channing Crowder even more. This defense lacks "Playmakers." Those are the type of players I want to see playing for us instead of against us.

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
I like all these ideas. I'm still not sure who's going to be available for us. I guess we need to wait until the combine to get a better idea of who's moving up or down. I personally want to draft a DE with the first pick, but any playmaker on defense would be good. Im also not a fan of trading up as suggested previously. I don't think the talent between the 10th pick and the 25th justifies giving up a scond rounder. Plus top picks get top contracts. Just a thought. I've always thought that defense was the way to go, but has anyone thought of letting Rivera AND Wahle walk and then drafting David Baas. We'd still have a 2nd rounder for defense and QB(we can't wait another year, Nall isn't the long term answer). Plus that would free up more money in free agency. Just a thought.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JWalkRulz84 said:
SlickVision said:
Looks good, but we need more than four receivers and we need a KR/PR :)

Thats why I drafted WR Chad Owens from Hawaii...

That way we will have Walker, Driver, Ferguson, Owens, Chatman

And I think Owens would be better suited as KR/PR

Didn't see him on the depth chart layout you provided of I assume a 53 man roster?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
Didn't see him on the depth chart layout you provided of I assume a 53 man roster?

here:

7. WR Chad Owens
REASONING: Chatman is not a very good punt returner. His skills are improving at receiver, HOWEVER, Owens has a lot more potential at more positions.

WR - Javon Walker, Donald Driver, Robert Ferguson, Chad Owens

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
just pointing out chad for you guy.

Yup, thanks. I seen him, I only see four WR though an now I'm confused cuz I thought he said previously five. Bah, its too dang early!!

Members online

Latest posts