Ice Bowl II?

BillyBoy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm dreaming of an NFC Championship rematch between the Packers and Cowboys at Lambeau. Though highly unlikely the way the Cowboys have been dropping the ball lately, such a rematch would be legendary. Though Brees outdoors would be fun too.

Let's say we're fortunate enough to host that game. Pretty soon, out of nowhere comes an epic icestorm and -50 windchills. Would the league ever consider postponing a playoff game due to weather? The nature of today's league makes me think they would, but it seems like it would be a big logistical problem. I know it got down to like -23 with windchill in the 2007 game.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I don't know. The way the NFL want to put skirts on all the QB's, who knows.

Now in 1967 the men were men, and the women KNEW it!

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I'm dreaming of an NFC Championship rematch between the Packers and Cowboys at Lambeau. Though highly unlikely the way the Cowboys have been dropping the ball lately, such a rematch would be legendary. Though Brees outdoors would be fun too.

Let's say we're fortunate enough to host that game. Pretty soon, out of nowhere comes an epic icestorm and -50 windchills. Would the league ever consider postponing a playoff game due to weather? The nature of today's league makes me think they would, but it seems like it would be a big logistical problem. I know it got down to like -23 with windchill in the 2007 game.
Just one correction, the Ice bowl wasn't the NFC Championship, it was the NFL Championship game. But I know what you mean.

Duvlek

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i believe they wud postpone it. ..dey get sofTer wit wut dey allow each year. ..matta fact didnt dey postpone dat eagles game last year due to snow.. ?

OP
OP
BillyBoy

BillyBoy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i believe they wud postpone it. ..dey get sofTer wit wut dey allow each year. ..matta fact didnt dey postpone dat eagles game last year due to snow.. ?

Yeah, but that was in the the regular season...they'd be crazy to move the playoff game, the TV ratings will probably be even higher than XLV, which had the highest TV audience ever!

Duvlek

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but that was in the the regular season...they'd be crazy to move the playoff game, the TV ratings will probably be even higher than XLV, which had the highest TV audience ever!

tru, good point. ..

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The on field officials might declare it to be too dangerous to play. They have the right to suspend the game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

The city was in an snow emergency, little bit different then the players are to soft

Took me a while to decipher that sentence

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score

Got tix for the Game and I have been telling everyone I am hoping for the same thing. and epicly cold epicly exciting game. It won't every have the same impact becuase it's not the NFL championship game (If there are any Steelers fans reading, a championship is a championship is a championship. Period!.). Personally, I don't think Bree's can throw in the cold, it's Manning that worries me.

Then again, I like my nose.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Got tix for the Game and I have been telling everyone I am hoping for the same thing. and epicly cold epicly exciting game. It won't every have the same impact becuase it's not the NFL championship game (If there are any Steelers fans reading, a championship is a championship is a championship. Period!.). Personally, I don't think Bree's can throw in the cold, it's Manning that worries me.

Then again, I like my nose.

Just curious, you even been in weather that cold?

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Just curious, you even been in weather that cold?
Been in boston in 20 degrees walking into a 20 mile an hour headwind dressed in california clothes, and was once caught in a blizzard in scottland once again underdressed, after going from hotel to hotel begged a guy to let us sleep in his lobby so we wouldn't freeze. Since then made many trips to boston and have learned, Head, hands, feet, layers.

but never stood in a stadium for 4 hours in - 20. I am sure it would hurt. But what a story. And thanks to you I will be bringing cardboard for my feet.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not to dismiss what you have been in, but to sit in a stadium for 3.5 hours in something that cold is brutal, as you said it will hurt..

If anyone is seriously going to a game in that cold, get best boots you can afford, chemical warmers for the hands and feet..Face mask type covering...Turtle neck, long sleeved what ever, a small sweater then a big thick coat..Mittens and NOT GLOVES

Sweat pants and then a good pair of WOOL pants over that

Rent the stadium seat for $6 they have at some of the gates..

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Not to dismiss what you have been in, but to sit in a stadium for 3.5 hours in something that cold is brutal, as you said it will hurt..

If anyone is seriously going to a game in that cold, get best boots you can afford, chemical warmers for the hands and feet..Face mask type covering...Turtle neck, long sleeved what ever, a small sweater then a big thick coat..Mittens and NOT GLOVES

The cold will seep up through the aluminum seats into your butt and you will freeze the poor thing off without a seat.

But mittens aren't "manly". (But they are warm.):)

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
The cold will seep up through the aluminum seats into your butt and you will freeze the poor thing off without a seat.

But mittens aren't "manly". (But they are warm.):)
ohhh I will have a seat. Forwarned is forarmed. That's why I asked for all the sage advice in an earlier thread.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score

Check, Check and Check, we talked about this in another thread and I am getting my clothes together. Boots are my big question. What brand and what kind. LL Bean if so which one? if you guys can give me some links to some examples of what would be a good type of boot would be much obliged.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's because that game was in Philly and in Philly anything over 6 inches is a snow emergency and Mayor Nutter declares a state of emergency. We can't handle large amounts of snow in Philly, LOL. I told my family that the people in Green Bay and New England were probably laughing their tails off at us. They are used to such thing in Green Bay, so unless it's some epic blizzard I would hope they wouldn't postpone the game. If they had to start postponing games in the playoffs, they might have to face the possibility of postponing the SB. They will avoid doing that at all costs because most people already have their travel arrangements booked way in advance and it would create a nightmare. But now you got me thinking on this. I wonder if there has ever been a game in Green Bay canceled due to weather and if so what was the severity of the storm?

Also, the Superbowl last year had snow and ice and that was in Dallas of all places. A lot of people had trouble getting into the city to make it in time for the game. I think some players families got stuck. All I remember seeing on the news is a bunch of people bound for the SB but stuck at the airports because the flights were either canceled or delayed.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been in boston in 20 degrees walking into a 20 mile an hour headwind dressed in california clothes, and was once caught in a blizzard in scottland once again underdressed, after going from hotel to hotel begged a guy to let us sleep in his lobby so we wouldn't freeze. Since then made many trips to boston and have learned, Head, hands, feet, layers.

but never stood in a stadium for 4 hours in - 20. I am sure it would hurt. But what a story. And thanks to you I will be bringing cardboard for my feet.

Where abouts in scotland were you?

OP
OP
BillyBoy

BillyBoy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget your Long Underwear! Sorel is a great brand for boots, Columbia makes really warm jackets.

OP
OP
BillyBoy

BillyBoy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, the Superbowl last year had snow and ice and that was in Dallas of all places. A lot of people had trouble getting into the city to make it in time for the game. I think some players families got stuck. All I remember seeing on the news is a bunch of people bound for the SB but stuck at the airports because the flights were either canceled or delayed.

Yeah, wasn't it curious that ahead of the Packers coming to town these warm-weather climates in Atlanta and Dallas got ice and snow??