I was thinking about this on my way to work...

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Comparing where we are in Week 2 going into Week 3 of the 2013 season vs. where we were LAST season at this point. A lot of things jumped out at me, but here are a few of the bright spots.

1) Aaron Rodgers

At this point in 2012 he had 3 TDs and 3 INTs, we were having trouble with communication between QB and receiving corps. Rodgers was getting sacked left and right.

This season so far Rodgers has 7 TDs to 1 INT (that shouldn't even count BTW.), Rodgers has been sacked 4 times (I believe.), and it appears that the relationship with the receiving corps is a lot stronger.

2) The running game.

In 2012 we only had 2 rushing TD scored by a RB. 1 by Benson, 1 by Starks. The rest were all scored by Rodgers. Although I do feel like one of Rodgers main assets is his legs and ability to move and create plays outside of the pocket I don't LOVE the idea of him having to pick up a 1st down on the ground. Starks was also very injury prone.

So far this season we have already matched our RB rushing TD total, and we have a 100 yard game under our belt! Something that has not been done since 210. Starks looks strong, and Lacy may be our running future.

3) The O-Line.

We are on pace to give up the least amount of sacks in a long, long time. Bahktiari looks good, Barclay looks strong (albeit a small mishap last week that was quickly corrected.), and EDS is doing a great job at Center. My main worry on the O-Line is Josh Sitton. Normally he is our best lineman, but I think he is playing hurt and as a result is a resulting to holding the pass rushers rather than blocking them.

These are just a few observations of mine. What have you noticed so far that gives you some REAL good feeling about making it to, and winning Super Bowl XLVIII?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just keep em healthy mate!
Losin DuJuan Harris for the year and now Eddie Lacy for a few games, that means we need Starks to stay healthy.

And we have the Big 3 now at WR. But there's a big dropoff after them. Same at TE.
For all the drops Finley has had, nobody else is good at TE as a receiver. Not sold on Quarless at all.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
1) Aaron Rodgers
To be fair, the Skins D he saw on Sunday isn't exactly the Bears D he saw in week 2 last year. That said, the offense does seem to be firing on all cylinders right now. If not for the two turnovers in SF, we're likely sitting at 2-0 right now.
2) The running game.
Absolutely. I get that you can't use a great performance against a weak defense as an accurate measure of where the run game is. But in the same vein, you can't use a less-than-stellar performance against a very strong D in SF either. This run game will be good. Probably not great, but good. And that's all we need.
3) The O-Line.
This O-line is playing well, and they should only get better. I was thrilled with the way they made adjustments after a poor start against Washington and were able to contain a strong Redskin pass rush for the rest of the game.
These are just a few observations of mine. What have you noticed so far that gives you some REAL good feeling about making it to, and winning Super Bowl XLVIII?
What makes me feel good about our chances this year?

Three words.

Aaron. %$#@!*&. Rodgers.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Comparing where we are in Week 2 going into Week 3 of the 2013 season vs. where we were LAST season at this point. A lot of things jumped out at me, but here are a few of the bright spots.

1) Aaron Rodgers

At this point in 2012 he had 3 TDs and 3 INTs, we were having trouble with communication between QB and receiving corps. Rodgers was getting sacked left and right.

This season so far Rodgers has 7 TDs to 1 INT (that shouldn't even count BTW.), Rodgers has been sacked 4 times (I believe.), and it appears that the relationship with the receiving corps is a lot stronger.

2) The running game.

In 2012 we only had 2 rushing TD scored by a RB. 1 by Benson, 1 by Starks. The rest were all scored by Rodgers. Although I do feel like one of Rodgers main assets is his legs and ability to move and create plays outside of the pocket I don't LOVE the idea of him having to pick up a 1st down on the ground. Starks was also very injury prone.

So far this season we have already matched our RB rushing TD total, and we have a 100 yard game under our belt! Something that has not been done since 210. Starks looks strong, and Lacy may be our running future.

3) The O-Line.

We are on pace to give up the least amount of sacks in a long, long time. Bahktiari looks good, Barclay looks strong (albeit a small mishap last week that was quickly corrected.), and EDS is doing a great job at Center. My main worry on the O-Line is Josh Sitton. Normally he is our best lineman, but I think he is playing hurt and as a result is a resulting to holding the pass rushers rather than blocking them.

I have noticed a few differences in the way the team is playing.

First I think with the absence of Driver and Jennings our receiving corps, under the guidance of Coach Bennett, has adopted a new philosophy. In the old days it used to be YAC this and YAC that, now it's catch the ball and then get YAC.

Second our Offense has been more balanced. Opening game last year GB put together 9 designed runs compared to 17 week 1 of this year. 2 games do not make a pattern but hopefully the trend continues.

Third Bak has been an improvement over Newhouse. He isn't as good as Newhouse was at his best but he has been a lot more consistent.

Fourth Aaron Rodgers has been hitting his shorter reads faster and more consistently. He doesn't appear to be looking downfield on every single snap.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just keep em healthy mate!
Losin DuJuan Harris for the year and now Eddie Lacy for a few games, that means we need Starks to stay healthy.

And we have the Big 3 now at WR. But there's a big dropoff after them. Same at TE.
For all the drops Finley has had, nobody else is good at TE as a receiver. Not sold on Quarless at all.

A few games? We have no idea how long he'll be out, he could be back after this weekend. Not all concussions are equal, sometimes the concussed player is back the next game and sometimes he's back 4 weeks later. In Lacy's case he didn't appear to be knocked out cold and he seemed to be fairly with it on the sidelines when they were checking him out.

As for Quarless, they're bringing him along slowly to build his confidence but IMHO he brings tremendous upside to this offense. According to the Coaching staff he's always been our most complete tight end, he blocks he runs and in practice he catches the ball well. Just think about a 2 tight end Packer Offense with Cobb Jones and Nelson in at receiver. You can go two tight end with Cobb in the backfield which is an effective run/pass set or you could adopt a spread set with Finley and Cobb in the slots. Take that Offense into the hurry up and teams will not be able to matchup personnel wise.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We haven't had a good double tight end duo since Chmura and Jackson. Although honorable mention goes out to my favorite TE from those days in Ed West

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like our d-line with Jolly back,they seem to be more physical,I thought secondary did okay last week as a whole think this team is good Crosby think he is back on track Mahtsay doing good,I know they went soft after a big lead but the d-line should have kept the score to 7,but that's just me on the couch wacthing,just feel good about the team seems they are working well together.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I disagree that EDS has done a good job, and I'm not worried about Sitton. Barclay looks a lot better but will never be more than just a guy with those feet. He's going to get beat.

Members online

Latest posts