"I know my days are numbered here" Al Harris

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we have money, so everyone playing well gets a raise?

-does favre get more money? he hasnt thrown a int in 3 straight games!
-ahman looks amazing again, do we give him a raise?
-jennings is looking better than a rookie, so should we give him a raise?
-david martin is finally coming around, do we give him a raise?

No, we will deal with their contracts when the time comes, not deal with it cuz they are playing better\worse than what they think their contract says, and we wont deal with their contracts cuz they're bellyaching.

kampman and driver handled things right, and what happened? They GOT their raises.

And thats how it works in this regime of the Green Bay Packers, an organization where the Kampmans and Drivers thrive, and the malcontents and mouths get the boot. I never thought Harris was one of those guys, but it appears he is, and it hurts me.

I hope I made that clear

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we're looking to give 2 players an extension then Al Harris deserves to be one in my opinion. Remember he might be 32 but he didn't receive a lot of playing time early in his career. A lot like Driver actually who I believe is 31. So he's not going to be as worn down as most corners are at that age. I think he can be a consistent player for at least 3 more years. He's done a nice job the last 3 weeks against Holt, Chambers, and Boldin. That's a pretty darn good trio to hold in check. Only think holding him back would be injuries but that can happen to any player at any time.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Kampman is a flawed example, he was a FA.

Driver took advantage of a weak WR crops. If we had K-Rob, I'm not so sure he gets the raise he did.

Harris is justified in wanting more money (that doesn't mean I support his position). When you have a #2 CB getting paid about 6 million on average for the first 3 years, while Harris is getting around 3 million, there is a problem.

IF you are a manager of a store, and your assistant is getting more than you, well you'd be pretty pissed off.

Harris can't be blamed for the disparity in the amount a #1 CB makes. He wants market value, like anyone would. This is a situation where TT needs to make sure GB comes out on top WITHOUT letting Harris go. Harris is a clever man (or his agent is at least), and they are taking advantage of things past. Can't really blame Harris for this situation alone, it is the result of things being done wrong by both sides.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
To add to your point porky, Christl made the point about how someone like TO can continue to seemingly improve at this late age because he is such a great athlete, and I think the same can hold true for Harris.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
To add to your point porky, Christl made the point about how someone like TO can continue to seemingly improve at this late age because he is such a great athlete, and I think the same can hold true for Harris.

Yep great point with TO. Driver is an example as well. So it's not like he's doomed to not improve or play consistent with his age. I would give Harris about 4 to 5 mil in base salary and a signing bonus of around 3 to 4. Also add incentives such as Pro Bowl and how many picks he gets and maybe touchdowns. So I would give him about 8 mil for his 1st year which would be 2007 and let it decline from there on out. 6 to 7 in 08 6 to 5 in 09. Plus with the incentives he could make more.

The best thing I read in that article was GB is looking to extend 2 more guys. I like to here that. Scott Wells would probably be my other choice right now. Maybe someone like Nick Barnett as well.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know a lot of people will have the "cut his head off" reaction to this, but come on. He's been one of the best if not the best over the last couple of weeks, and he's been the best player in our secondary since we signed him. Sure, he's aging, but he's got 2, maybe 3 more years left before he starts losing steps to the point that it has a serious effect on his play. I say show him the money for the next 2-3 years. The man, while arrogant, has a point.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like for him to stay, but if anything is going to happen contract-wise it'll probably be in the offseason.

I'd be sad if he goes and I wouldn't complain if they redid his contract. All I care about is Will Blackmon getting some playing time.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
At 32 he's to old to give payday after this season...

Well Charles Woodson is 30 or 31 and got his big payday. Now you tell Harris to go play the #1 receivers man to man while Woodson plays the #2, but you're not worth the money Woodson makes? Doesn't make sense. Remember Harris will be 32 but for a few years with Philly he was just playing in nickel situations. He doesn't have the mileage or injury history that Woodson has on his body.

I believe Bobby said it earlier...yea you know what happens when you want more money or a trade in Green Bay....you get your wish. We have the money that we can give him NOW and it wouldn't hurt our cap # in the future at all. Pay the man the going rate.

there's a big difference between 30 and 32, Woodson turned 30 this month!

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
personally, i'm waiting to see what he does against some winning teams. the last couple weeks we've played sub-par teams so let's see how he does against the pats.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
GakkofNorway said:
At 32 he's to old to give payday after this season...

Well Charles Woodson is 30 or 31 and got his big payday. Now you tell Harris to go play the #1 receivers man to man while Woodson plays the #2, but you're not worth the money Woodson makes? Doesn't make sense. Remember Harris will be 32 but for a few years with Philly he was just playing in nickel situations. He doesn't have the mileage or injury history that Woodson has on his body.

I believe Bobby said it earlier...yea you know what happens when you want more money or a trade in Green Bay....you get your wish. We have the money that we can give him NOW and it wouldn't hurt our cap # in the future at all. Pay the man the going rate.

there's a big difference between 30 and 32, Woodson turned 30 this month!

If Woodson is really worth more than shouldn't he be playing against the #1 receivers?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"kampman and driver handled things right, and what happened? They GOT their raises."

Walker GOT his raise too.....just NOT with the Packers.

By paying Woodson what he did TT had to know this was coming. My guess is he uses the excess cap space we have before the end of the season so it counts toward this years cap space instead of later.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
I have mixed feelings. Yes, last week he ran an interception in for a TD, BUT, had the WR not let the ball go through his hands, the WR would have had a good play. It wasn't like Harris was in great position, he was just lucky. Yesterday, he let a sure INT go right through his hands. I've seen WAY too much of that from him. Big players make those plays. They don't miss them that often.
I think he has over rated himself in his own mind.
Just my opinion.
The bad part is, we sure don't have anyone else that can step into the spot.

Sorry cheesey but I think you're talking about Woodson here and not Harris.
Wouldn't be the first time i screwed up! (Or the last i'm sure!)
I just get SOOO tired of these whiney MILLIONAIRE players. He wants MORE then 3 million a year??? What......can't he make his house payment??? Geez.....i'm getting sick of these cry babies.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if harris wnated more money he should have signed a shorter contract. he short changed himself.

Members online

Latest posts