I know FA isn't our M.O. but do you think that changes this year??

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Where do you get the idea that people think we need "loads of help"

We don't need loads of help. Our biggest weakness is pass rush that needs immediate addressing. I don't think it's ridiculous to consider a beast like Mario Williams if we can get him for the right price.

Thats the problem. Mario won't come for "the right price." Even off an injury IMO.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate the term win now team, but I agree. We are one or two great players away from being a complete dominant team and we can still keep building for the future through the draft

I agree completely. Add a few pieces for today while building for tomorrow.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Thats the problem. Mario won't come for "the right price." Even off an injury IMO.

While you are probably right, you never know. And it doesn't have to be Mario Williams someone else through Free Agency that could fit in seamlessly and come at a reasonable price. I just said Mario Williams because he's a guy who would fit in almost immediately. He brings strength where we have weakness, has played in a 3-4 scheme and is still on top of his game.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My God, I'm surprised people don't get this yet. One friggin loss and suddenly the sky is falling and we need loads of help?

Please people, repeat after me:

CONSISTENT WINNERS DO NOT TRADE DRAFT PICKS OR MORTGAGE THEIR FUTURES FOR BIG NAME FREE AGENTS.

It's just not likely Ted will sign any big names. He'll let everyone else go into salary cap hell to bring in the big name pickup and then he'll see whose left. Otherwise his mantra of "I can find someone better in the draft" will hold, like usual.

It's not one loss and the "sky is falling". The Packers defense ranked 32nd in the league. The defense was HORRIBLE all year. If Rodgers and the offense hadn't been so effective, the Packers defense would have looked even worse.

Nobody wants to mortgage the future, people just want the Packers to be active in free agency. Why not get a defensive end for right now without giving up draft picks? CJ Wilson, Jarius Wynn and Mike Neal ain't cuttin it.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I think TT has to address needs in free-agency. The Packers are a win-now team. Adding players through the draft is a great way to build a team for the future. Adding a DE like Mathis or an OLB like Spencer can be the quick fix the defense needs. The cap room should be there.
Why do you say "Win Now" this is a young team. We are a draft and develop system. You don't sell away your future for a few picks now. We are not in as bad a shape as everyone thinks. TT and MM will do what it takes to fix what is broke in the off season without breaking the bank but we have a lot of young talent and more in the bank, this train is going to be on a roll for a long time.

We have a bunch of draft picks this year, I am sure TT will be using some of them to horse trade and I expect he will address the pass rush but we are at the start of a very long run.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you say "Win Now" this is a young team. We are a draft and develop system. You don't sell away your future for a few picks now. We are not in as bad a shape as everyone thinks. TT and MM will do what it takes to fix what is broke in the off season without breaking the bank but we have a lot of young talent and more in the bank, this train is going to be on a roll for a long time.

We have a bunch of draft picks this year, I am sure TT will be using some of them to horse trade and I expect he will address the pass rush but we are at the start of a very long run.

The Packers are win now team because they have the talent to win now. A team that follows a Super Bowl with 13 straight wins is a win now team. Why not add a veteran defensive player to fix the problem now?

To address your second point, nobody is "selling their future". Robert Mathis would cost no draft picks. Anthony Spencer, Peyton Hillis, Ahmad Brooks would all cost no draft picks. They would simply be a salary cap number... A salary cap that number that wouldn't "break the bank".

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I recently read in the Journel Sentinel that Jenkins' price in free agency had dropped as low as $5 million. If true, we probably should have signed him but I'm not upset about the decision to let him walk. His 2010 numbers (seven sacks in eleven games) came during a contract season and I wonder if his performance would have dipped after getting paid (as it so often does with vets). He's also got a sketchy injury history. The real mistake in letting Jenkins walk was relying on Neal to fill the void. TT probably should have used a higher draft pick on another DE or had a good value veteran lined up. Either way, I'm ready to write Neal off as a bust.

I agree with those that have identified the pass rush as the root of the problem with our defense this year. I'm optimistic that the addition of an impact player or two at DE and/or OLB will really improve that unit. With our offense, we don't need a steel curtain-type of D, just one that force the punt on third and long.

While TT tends to be stingy in FA, we may be able to get a discount on a vet that is looking for a good shot at the title (I wonder if we could convince Charles Woodson to approach some veteran FAs as a sort of ambassador on behalf of the franchise- his career was reborn in Green Bay and the team is a contender that's just a few parts away from another title). I would probably try to bolster the DE spot with at least one such signing. In the draft, if a guy like Melvin Ingram fell to us, our problems at OLB opposite Matthews might be resolved (love that guy).

Does anyone know anything about Lawrence Guy?

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Pass rushers in the draft can be hit or miss though. Anyone heard of this Jerry Hughes clown? The Colts first round bust from a few years ago? He is still trying to figure out which guy is the QB on the field and he was blazing fast coming out of college and labeled a "Dwight Freeney clone."

And I can't even tell you how many pass rushing yahoos the Pats have drafted over the years. Thats why they pick up over the hill cheap FAs since nothing they draft often clicks.

And the Jets have had to try to make Aaron Maybin work. That alone should tell you all you need to know.

Vernon Gholston anyone?

GB2009

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know that TT does not dabble too much in FA, but this year it was glaringly obvious that we are a couple pieces away from being contenders. Namely a pass rusher, competent LB opposite matthews and a competent safety (Although Collins possibly returning may help this). I honestly do not put blame on DC for our defense being this atrocious. The absence of Collins and Jenkins hurt this defense far more than most people realize. ANY QB in this league will look stellar if he has all day to throw. We had a significant lack of pass rush all season. You simply cannot expect the secondary to hold up for 5, 6, 7+ seconds. Just doesn't work that way. The loss of Collins was significant too. Peprah is a backup. Simple as that. The only reason he played well last year was because he had Collins next to him. Defense was out of position most of the season, and that was Collins' job. Peprah just isn't the same player. Not even a shadow to be honest. It's all about personel. There's nothing wrong with Capers' scheme or concept. If he doesn't have the personel, he doesn't have the personel. The guys just couldn't physically accomplish what he was asking them to do.

So do we go after a pash rusher? A LB? in FA this year? There are a few big names availible. Do you think TT see's that letting Jenkins walk was a big mistake? And do you think he learns from this? Does he see that we are so close to being dominant right now, but need help in a few areas? We cannot rely on Rodgers and the offense to win games for us. They will have off weeks, and the defense needs to keep us in ball games. Two games we lost this year, the offense struggled. And our defense could not be relied upon. We can't be so one sided in the future. We need balance. This draft I expect to be heavily defense. And I honestly think we add a big defensive name in Free Agency. What do you guys think?

I guess the draft pick of Raji isn't as good as we thought. We could have had Brian Orokpo. With Brian Orokpo and the draft trade for Clay Matthews, we would have a hall of fame duo. And Ryan Pickett would have been our NT.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think maybe making a FA signing wouldnt be bad this year.
I dont think we are going to be able to get a premier pass rusher and defensive lineman in the draft this year.
If anything, every team this year is going to be looking to upgrade their defense so its going to be tough finding decent players.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the draft pick of Raji isn't as good as we thought. We could have had Brian Orokpo. With Brian Orokpo and the draft trade for Clay Matthews, we would have a hall of fame duo. And Ryan Pickett would have been our NT.

So instead of Allstate ads, we might have Packers pitching for Geico?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think pass rushers a hard to find great NTs are even more rare. We should be very happy we have Raji. Much of clay's success can be attributed to Raji takin up blockers and collapsing the pocket.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not one loss and the "sky is falling". The Packers defense ranked 32nd in the league. The defense was HORRIBLE all year. If Rodgers and the offense hadn't been so effective, the Packers defense would have looked even worse.

Nobody wants to mortgage the future, people just want the Packers to be active in free agency. Why not get a defensive end for right now without giving up draft picks? CJ Wilson, Jarius Wynn and Mike Neal ain't cuttin it.

This coming from the same person who insisted we should have traded the house last season for Marshawn Lynch.

You hit it on the head when you said, "People just want the Packers to be active in free agency." I, quite frankly, hate this attitude. Fans want the Packers to be active in free agency for the sake of being active, regardless of whether the moves make any sense or not. Why? Does free agency suddenly GUARANTEE championships? The short answer is no, otherwise Philly would be in the title game this weekend rather than the Giants or Niners.

I agree we need a better pass rush, but I'm just not ready to panic and go overboard. If we do something in free agency, then fine, so be it. I just don't think it's needed, not when we can usually find someone better in the draft.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where do you get the idea that people think we need "loads of help"

We don't need loads of help. Our biggest weakness is pass rush and that is the only thing that needs immediate addressing. I don't think it's ridiculous to consider a beast like Mario Williams if we can get him for the right price.

I keep seeing threads about how we need to "Overhaul our defense," and comments about how we should "Replace Capers" and "Fire Mike McCarthy." These are all just flat stupid.

And we're not getting Mario Williams. Let someone else over-pay for him.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is saying to go all Eagles this offseason. Just try to bring in a player or two that can help.

No matter what, the draft can be hit or miss. And not all pass rushers are going to be a hit either right away from the draft.

That's not Ted Thompson's way though, and free agents can be hit or miss too. There's been plenty of busts in free agency. The only thing guaranteed with signing a big name free-agent is the price tag.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And when it comes down to it, we did not lose a Mario Williams last year when we were highly ranked. It shouldn't take a Mario Williams to get back to there either.

Also the TT method is not win now or win later. It's win always.

Will TT sign some FAs? Only if it makes sense, the right player at the right price. Unfortunately, many owners don't get the right price. They factor in excitement, news, and ticket sales into their equation. Not wins. I don't want the dream team.

Reaction score
TT doesn't have to overpay but he should realize that getting a player in the draft is not going to help that defense right away. They can be developed but some experience is needed. I honestly don't think Robert Mathis would cost that much, plus he wants to play in a 3-4 scheme and he would love a chance at another ring. Mario Williams would cost a lot, I agree but to get a player of his caliber? Whoo!

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think one of two things will happen this offseason, TT will put together another CMIII/RAJI draft, or sign a major defensive free agent.

Members online