1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I know FA isn't our M.O. but do you think that changes this year??

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by 98Redbird, Jan 17, 2012.

1. 98Redbird

98Redbird Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +240
    We all know that TT does not dabble too much in FA, but this year it was glaringly obvious that we are a couple pieces away from being contenders. Namely a pass rusher, competent LB opposite matthews and a competent safety (Although Collins possibly returning may help this). I honestly do not put blame on DC for our defense being this atrocious. The absence of Collins and Jenkins hurt this defense far more than most people realize. ANY QB in this league will look stellar if he has all day to throw. We had a significant lack of pass rush all season. You simply cannot expect the secondary to hold up for 5, 6, 7+ seconds. Just doesn't work that way. The loss of Collins was significant too. Peprah is a backup. Simple as that. The only reason he played well last year was because he had Collins next to him. Defense was out of position most of the season, and that was Collins' job. Peprah just isn't the same player. Not even a shadow to be honest. It's all about personel. There's nothing wrong with Capers' scheme or concept. If he doesn't have the personel, he doesn't have the personel. The guys just couldn't physically accomplish what he was asking them to do.

So do we go after a pash rusher? A LB? in FA this year? There are a few big names availible. Do you think TT see's that letting Jenkins walk was a big mistake? And do you think he learns from this? Does he see that we are so close to being dominant right now, but need help in a few areas? We cannot rely on Rodgers and the offense to win games for us. They will have off weeks, and the defense needs to keep us in ball games. Two games we lost this year, the offense struggled. And our defense could not be relied upon. We can't be so one sided in the future. We need balance. This draft I expect to be heavily defense. And I honestly think we add a big defensive name in Free Agency. What do you guys think?

2. mor4les

mor4les Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +61
    We need a passrusher that can make an impact from week 1, so IMO we need to get someone from the FA. Once we have a pass rush, the secondary should play better, but we also need a couple of DBs in the first rounds of the draft.

3. Dan115

Dan115 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ted is very tight with the money. Would have to be a bargain for him to go into FA.

4. DON BARRETT

DON BARRETT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +16
    Mathews is not big enough to be a DE he needs more *** on him! he needs to play LB it is hard to beat 300lb plus lineman, They are supposed to get Fletcher Cox in draft and seeing him play at MS State he is a beast. We need two DE worth a crap to put pressure on QB. Manning had all day to to make a 1st down. Should of paid Jenkins the $$ i would of!

5. PackersFanfromCali80

PackersFanfromCali80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    Ted may be tight with money but if he would like his team to not get knocked out the first playoff game they play next season, he would be best served to look in the free agent market. A rookie OLB is not going to help right away. We need help now! You also need a DE as well and once again, a rookie is not going to help with that.

6. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    I probably would have as well, but he was only mediocre in Philly this year, so Ted probably knew best.

7. Brandon

Brandon Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +119
    Please don't think for ONE second that we need any help in the secondary. The only reason our secondary was so terrible is because we had ZERO pass rush. In our super bowl run we had a lot of sacks and a TON of inside penetration that forced the QB to scramble and make bad decisions. We didn't have any pass rush this year and we still lead the league in interceptions, think on that. If we get someone that can constantly harass the QB on the other side of Matthews we will be back in business, that is our only glaring need right now.

Our secondary is golden, our run defense is average but it doesn't need to be any better than average since we usually get big leads anyway, our QB there is no questions, our WR/TE there is no questions (except maybe Finley but I'm giving him a pass), our O-line is decent but it could use an upgrade or two, and our special teams has improved a ton over the years.

If we get just one good pass rusher than can consistently break through, we will not be a one and done team next year, guaranteed.

8. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,064
    The scheme needs some adjustments as well. There are ways to attack every scheme and the OC's around the league plan accordingly. Capers needs to stay fresh and keep adjusting to the adjustments. There were also plenty of times that they only rushed 3 which generally isn't expected to generate a pass rush and the coverage was terrible. I would like to see a big physical corner with speed be brought it. I want a mutual sign and trade on both sides where Seattle trades Browner. Calvin Johnson is going to torch this defense unless they get someone better than Tramon to cover him.

9. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,064
    SmokeDog Kirkpatrick may have just dropped to the Pack's pick in the draft!!!

10. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Any DE we get will be better than Neal or CJ Wilson. But I laugh a bit at the ones saying we'll get a safety, DE, LB as if presto we're fixed. Got to get the guys and we are picking at the end of the first round. Ted needs to get ruthless by franchising Flynn so we can get something for him (at least a #2) and move up in the draft like he did to get Matthews. He needs to get off the dime and pursue some good players in free agency. He has always bottom fished in that market. Unless he does these things I don't think we're going to see an automatic fix. If we're expecting a third round draft pick to come in and change things around then I don't think that will pay the immediate dividends needed. JMO

And I'm on Record going back to July saying it was a huge mistake to let Jenkins go. What he did in Philly, which is irrelevant anyway, is a helluva lot more than we got from his replacements. I know what Jenkins did for our defense.

11. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Matthews does play LB in our 3-4.

12. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    He played a different position in a different scheme of defense with two beast pass rushers. It's easy to overlook his season in comparison to Cole and Babin. He had a good season for what he was asked to do.

I wouldn't say our approach to Free Agency will be any different. As always unless there is a can't miss player that we don't have to pay out the *** for and that will fit into our defense, or if we have a glaring need at a given position and have no choice

13. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    Mario Williams is a FA. Just saying. Expensive but put him across from Clay and......

14. Southpaw

Ratings:
    +422
    I heard he was going to be a Free Agent but.....

He's coming off a bad injury, he'll be expensive and I expect that the Texans will make it a priority to resign him. But he would be a great addition opposite Matthews. No doubt

15. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    Texans may not need him now. They did great without him on defense.

Robert Mathis from the Colts is a FA. Just saying. He wants to play in a 3-4 rumor was a while ago and is used to playing across from a super star as second fiddle......

He is 30 I think or almost 31 but won't be as expensive. But, he likely wants another ring before he is done.

16. 2411t

2411t Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +120
    Get Flynn to sign a 1 yr deal worth less than the franchise tag with a gentleman's agreement that he'll get traded. That would be soooooo awesome!

After all... he does owe GB for treating him/teaching him so damn well

17. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +844
    I think TT has to address needs in free-agency. The Packers are a win-now team. Adding players through the draft is a great way to build a team for the future. Adding a DE like Mathis or an OLB like Spencer can be the quick fix the defense needs. The cap room should be there.

18. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +844
    Unfortunately, Flynn doesn't "owe" Green Bay anything. He's a backup on the Packers and will be a starter with another team. Why would he sign a one-year deal when another team will easily give him a four year deal? The whole idea makes no sense.

19. Southpaw

Ratings:
    +422
    I hate the term win now team, but I agree. We are one or two great players away from being a complete dominant team and we can still keep building for the future through the draft

20. 2411t

2411t Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +120
    I acknowledge that my idea is borderline insane and very unlikely, but he would sign a one year deal b/c he loves GB so much with the idea that he'd be traded to another team for draft picks and that other team would work on a long term deal with him. Like I said... I know that isn't going to happen. Are we on the same page?

Flynn is going to win either way b/c it's almost 100% likely that he's gonna go to another team and sign a fat long term deal. But this way... GB wins too by getting some draft packs.

21. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    I am telling ya. I think Mathis would be excellent with the Packers. He is a clutch pass rusher and so underrated. I believe he can fit in the 3-4 and won't be as expensive as the elites. Rex Ryan rumor was had interest in trading for him. If Rex thinks he can work in a 3-4 I have no doubt he can.

• Like Like x 1
  22. 2411t

2411t Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +120
    This is an awesome thought...

23. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    My God, I'm surprised people don't get this yet. One friggin loss and suddenly the sky is falling and we need loads of help?

Please people, repeat after me:

CONSISTENT WINNERS DO NOT TRADE DRAFT PICKS OR MORTGAGE THEIR FUTURES FOR BIG NAME FREE AGENTS.

It's just not likely Ted will sign any big names. He'll let everyone else go into salary cap hell to bring in the big name pickup and then he'll see whose left. Otherwise his mantra of "I can find someone better in the draft" will hold, like usual.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    I don't think anyone is saying to go all Eagles this offseason. Just try to bring in a player or two that can help.

No matter what, the draft can be hit or miss. And not all pass rushers are going to be a hit either right away from the draft.

25. Southpaw

Ratings:
    +422
    Where do you get the idea that people think we need "loads of help"

We don't need loads of help. Our biggest weakness is pass rush and that is the only thing that needs immediate addressing. I don't think it's ridiculous to consider a beast like Mario Williams if we can get him for the right price.