Hypothetical draft question

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
say Brett Favre retires. say he announces it tomorrow.

Do you think we should draft a QB number 1 (young or leinart if available) and have

Young vs Rodgers

They could battle it out, and we could sleep well knowing the better of the QB (both projected to be decent qbs during draft times) in there.

I know it wouldnt happen, but id like to see a good ol fashion QB battle.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see the Packers package a trade with Aaron Rodgers to get somebody's second rounder and pick up Vince Young. This guy is going to be an exceptional NFL QB IMO...he reminds me a little of Mike Vick with some passing efficiency. No way will he run in the NFL like he did last night, though. Guys are too good, too fast, and too smart in the NFL to allow him to run rampant like USC's defense allowed him to.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually VY reminds me more of Daunte Culpepper Big Big guy his arm needs time to develop but with his running style he is going to get thumped in the NFL

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rogers is fine IF we re-establish a running game and continue to upgrade the defense. I'd love to see us trade down for additional picks, draft the best middle linebacker in the draft (?Chad Greenway?) and draft linemen for both sides of the ball. Pick up a running back later as well as a couple of receivers and we're set to win 10 or 11 games next year regardless of who's the QB.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually would like to audition the idea of possibly signing Jon Kitna...he could start, win us some games first half of next season...and he must've been doing something right while teaching Carson Palmer

hopefully Kitna is still on good terms with Ted Thompson from their , not that Thompson ran over Kitna's dog...kinda like Thompson appearently did to most of the people on this forum

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched the Steeler/Bengals game - and it only took about two quarters and the Steelers adjusted very quickly to Jon Kitna - there's no way on god's green earth I'd waste the $$$$ on him. Kitna should have been able to take it to them, thru the whole game, and it didn't happen.

I simply would not go there....

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
I just watched the Steeler/Bengals game - and it only took about two quarters and the Steelers adjusted very quickly to Jon Kitna - there's no way on god's green earth I'd waste the $$$$ on him. Kitna should have been able to take it to them, thru the whole game, and it didn't happen.

I simply would not go there....

but do you agree with me on the fact that if Favre retires, we can not go into '06 with Aaron Rodgers atop our depth chart

who else is out there, not being sarcastic...i just dont have a grip on FA qb's...

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Javon....I hear ya, but TT and some of these clowns want Favre out of here so Rodgers could take over. If Favre retires and we want to rebuild it wouldn't make sense to bring in a veteran to play ahead of Rodgers.

Not my line of thinking but.........

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No matter how you look at it we just can't afford to draft another QB early again. I don't know if Rogers is the answer but I do know that we need help at every other position on the roster. Now that we've drafted Rogers he has to be given the chance to grow into the job once Brett retires. Taking one more QB gives you two guys who will never know who is the "man".

I do believe that if Brett retires you bring in veteran QB but as a backup and someone who can push Rogers a bit.

The only thing I hope is that if Rogers is not the answer that we recognize that fact quicker than Detroit has realized that Harrington is not their answer.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO all things being equal if Brett were to retire, the Pack should sign Nall to be Rogers backup. However now that there is going to be a coaching change, all things are not equal, so we don't we don't know what direction we are going in.
On the face of things Rogers starts, Nall backs up and draft a QB in the later rounds.
I think Nall, if given the chance, could compete to be a starter somewhere and perhaps that is the situation he would prefer; to go somewhere else where he could challenge for a starting job.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Javon....I hear ya, but TT and some of these clowns want Favre out of here so Rodgers could take over.

I'm still not clear on this viewpoint.

Thompson fired someone who I, and a lot of people, thought was a bad coach

Thompson drafted Aaron Rodgers, a great value pick, and face it, someone will eventually take over for Favre

People weren't whining when we drafted Rodgers last year, but you all wait a year to make up your mind "ohh he's selling Brett out"--no, and if we didn't have Rodgers you same people would be pissing off about how we need a QB for the future

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Javon....read the f8cking post before you go off. I was pointing out that I doubt TT would hire a veteran if Favre wasn't there. He wants to see if Rodgers is worth a ****.

This wasn't the thread to rag on TT, but since you brought it up, I can tell you why you are not clear on this viewpoint. You make two assumptions that some of us don't. "Thompson fired someone who I,and a lot of people, thought was a bad coach" and "Aaron Rodgers was a great value pick".

I don't agree with either one.....particularly the second one. I can't say it was a bad pick yet but you sure as hell can't say it was a great one. If you think the drafting of Rodgers is why people think he is selling out Favre then you REALLY don't get it.

You want to blindly love TT for firing Sherman go ahead. It just shows the hatred you had for the man. TT has made Green Bay the laughing stock of the NFL (for the short term hopefully). People can't understand why he fired a winning coach and why he is trying to force a legend into retirement. If you don't see it....take your blinders off and read the national media.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Do you think we should draft a QB number 1 (young or leinart if available) and have

Young vs Rodgers

They could battle it out, and we could sleep well knowing the better of the QB (both projected to be decent qbs during draft times) in there.

i honestly would draft young and try to trade aaron rodgers for a 2nd or 3rd round pick in the 2006 NFL draft.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gecko...I reply to everything I feel is worthy. If you want to beat a dead horse fine, here goes......not every NFL player is on steroids, in fact you can't name one that hasn't already been caught.........now it's your turn to point out some old article you dig out.......then I will continue to say that you can't name one that hasn't been caught.....then you....do you get it yet?

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if the article is old, it's still a problem, and it doesn't matter if you killed a man 25 years ago, you still killed him.

You think Todd Sauerbrun used the steroids on his dog?

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Javon....read the f8cking post before you go off. I was pointing out that I doubt TT would hire a veteran if Favre wasn't there. He wants to see if Rodgers is worth a ****.

This wasn't the thread to rag on TT, but since you brought it up, I can tell you why you are not clear on this viewpoint. You make two assumptions that some of us don't. "Thompson fired someone who I,and a lot of people, thought was a bad coach" and "Aaron Rodgers was a great value pick".

I don't agree with either one.....particularly the second one. I can't say it was a bad pick yet but you sure as hell can't say it was a great one. If you think the drafting of Rodgers is why people think he is selling out Favre then you REALLY don't get it.

You want to blindly love TT for firing Sherman go ahead. It just shows the hatred you had for the man. TT has made Green Bay the laughing stock of the NFL (for the short term hopefully). People can't understand why he fired a winning coach and why he is trying to force a legend into retirement. If you don't see it....take your blinders off and read the national media.

-My signature expresses my true hatred I had for the man
...wait a second, not hatred for THE MAN, hatred for...his coaching, lets not go psychottic here

-I can't say that any pick we could've made in 2005 would've been a good one--that draft crop SUCKED...Aaron Rodgers was a value pick because two weeks before the draft he was rated #1 overall, and everyone assumed SF would take him

...since I brought TT up????...lets roll back the tape...
DePack wrote:
Javon....I hear ya, but TT and some of these clowns want Favre out of here so Rodgers could take over.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Young is the type of QB that will be so beat up after 5-7 years he will be done. Once the legs go he will be a slightly above average passer. Give me Leinert. But don't sell the farm to move up, go with Rodgers and build around him, God knows we have enough holes.

Heelntoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No first round QB's please. I keep hearing people say trade Rodgers; that's a bad idea imho. GB made a good value pick last year and he has a chance to be a solid QB. Why do ppl want to toss him before he's ever started or even had real playing time??? And GB does not want to be in the position of having two no1's at the same position (e.g., San Diego).

There are essentially two options; draft for greatest need (Hawk or Williams), or trade down for picks. Picking a QB or even RB or OL doesn't make sense to me. Def (lb-dl) rounds 1-2, rb-wr-ilb middle rounds, ol-dl-db late rounds.

And I agree with paxvogel also, running qb's get the crap beat out of them. Fun to watch, but they don't win many championships. I spose I'll get flamed, but these are just my (generally uninformed) opinions.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
tromadz said:

Young vs Rodgers

i honestly would draft young and try to trade Aaron Rodgers for a 2nd or 3rd round pick in the 2006 NFL draft.

This could very well be the scenario that plays out. Remember, TT likes to enhance his number of draft picks. If I remember correctly, we don't really get anything this year out of Wahle and Rivera. So, we start out with only five picks in this year's draft. TT is NOT gonna stand for that - so, look for several Players to be traded away for Draft picks. It could be anyone from Rodgers, to Davenport, to even Ahman Green, no one knows yet what will happen - we just know TT's M.O.

Members online

Latest posts