How long ....

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
So I watched the pre-season game again last night.. and it got me wondering..

How many weeks will it take for struggling play at SS, TE or maybe even RB, before Ted makes a move to improve the positions.

We got no answers from the TE's other than they struggled again. Bubba can block but something happened to the boys hands. Lee struggled (being kind) in blocking. I just don't see either of them stepping it up.

None of the backup safeties played very well. Rouse played like a rookie and Underwood like a kid with no confidence in his "wheels". And Bigby looked slow in coverage and tried to hard to bring the lumber instead of making a tackle.

On the RB defense, Jackson and Herron looked okay to good. White looked very average at best. A veteran back sure would take some pressure off the youngsters. Plus picking up a RB in week 4 of preseason will not give them much time to get ready for the season. Can Mo come back and be productive, that really threw a wrench in the RB evaluations.

So will it take another bad showing or more?

The other problem out there is quality players at TE and RB are limited. Knight just signed with the Jags today.. but a player like Parrish is still out there.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think there is anyone out there that can come in and take the tailback position away from either Morency and Jackson. I thought Herron ran the rock pretty decent last week, but it was against a second string D. As for Bubba. I have always been one of his supporters and I was so pis$ed last week when he finally got a pass thrown to him and he dropped it. Pathetic.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Umm, it's preseason.

Last year everyone freaked out about what a huge bust that loser Woodson was after the Cincy game. Look how that turned out :shrug:

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Oh I am not freaking, just kind of wondering how long it is going to take before we start looking at options and bringing some people in for look sees.

We know some people, IE Pat Murray aren't going to make the team, so why not bring a couple of players in for workouts or maybe even sign a player or two.

Tileman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I watched the pre-season game again last night.. and it got me wondering..

How many weeks will it take for struggling play at SS, TE or maybe even RB, before Ted makes a move to improve the positions.

We got no answers from the TE's other than they struggled again. Bubba can block but something happened to the boys hands. Lee struggled (being kind) in blocking. I just don't see either of them stepping it up.

None of the backup safeties played very well. Rouse played like a rookie and Underwood like a kid with no confidence in his "wheels". And Bigby looked slow in coverage and tried to hard to bring the lumber instead of making a tackle.

On the RB defense, Jackson and Herron looked okay to good. White looked very average at best. A veteran back sure would take some pressure off the youngsters. Plus picking up a RB in week 4 of preseason will not give them much time to get ready for the season. Can Mo come back and be productive, that really threw a wrench in the RB evaluations.

So will it take another bad showing or more?

The other problem out there is quality players at TE and RB are limited. Knight just signed with the Jags today.. but a player like Parrish is still out there.

Not bad questions, but I imagine it will take about as long as it takes TT or MM to address a starting QB that's struggling and make a change there.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you want him to do? I'm all for making moves but I don't understand why people say make the move when in reality nothing is out there for the taking right now.

Is Corey Dillon that good? Probably not anymore and I doubt he'll want to play for the Packers anyways. I agree that we have problems at safety and tight end but every single team has at least 80 or more players on their current roster. Notice anyone else making significant moves right now? Neither do I.

Thompson had his chance and he didn't get the guys in free agency. Now we're going to have to go with these guys because at the moment, there is nobody else. I personally think it's a little early to jump on the safeties. A lot of young guys there that can step up. Tight End is a different story for me though.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally think it's a little early to jump on the safeties.

Wrong.

How you play in preseason game 1 is how you play the entire regular season. everyone knows that.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I think the RB, TE and SS positions are way overrated. We'll be at least as good as we were last year with what we have.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe there is anyone out there to help us right now.
Maybe in a couple of weeks there will be some interesting players available but even if we get someone then, it will take at least a few weeks for them to pick up the system.

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wrong.

How you play in preseason game 1 is how you play the entire regular season. everyone knows that.

Preseason game #1

August 11th 2005

Packers - 10
San Diego - 7

You nailed that one trom! :razz:

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO, if you know your team has some weaknesses, you should think of addressing some of those area b/f the season starts.
I believe we passed over Micheal Griffin and Reggie Nelson not to mention TE Greg Olsen.
:twocents:

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I am not freaking, just kind of wondering how long it is going to take before we start looking at options and bringing some people in for look sees.

We know some people, IE Pat Murray aren't going to make the team, so why not bring a couple of players in for workouts or maybe even sign a player or two.

If someone isnt going to make the team, do we want them? I agree that we should have improved these spots. But I think it is too late now. We had out chances in the offseason. TT didnt pull the trigger.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
porky88 said:

Wrong.

Now Trom, TE was a weakness all last year and no one was added and so far through camp and one game doesn't look improved. SS was a weakness and unless a younger player steps it up, it will be the same struggles of last year. Collins should improve, Manuel hasn't in many years of NFL play. Just hedging bets that we will have either him or a young player with growing pains on a defense that has a chance to be very special.

RB, I don't see any real improvements other than experience possibly, so we probably have little choice but to go with what we have. Unless we pull off a trade.... Maybe toefield gets cut and we can add him.

Overall if the Oline puts it together after struggling with the 3-4, overall we look improved. So I guess I need to learn patience, but still a little miffed that we didn't do more to fill in known holes on this team other than WR.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
porky88 said:

Wrong.

Now Trom, TE was a weakness all last year and no one was added and so far through camp and one game doesn't look improved. SS was a weakness and unless a younger player steps it up, it will be the same struggles of last year. Collins should improve, Manuel hasn't in many years of NFL play. Just hedging bets that we will have either him or a young player with growing pains on a defense that has a chance to be very special.

RB, I don't see any real improvements other than experience possibly, so we probably have little choice but to go with what we have. Unless we pull off a trade.... Maybe toefield gets cut and we can add him.

Overall if the Oline puts it together after struggling with the 3-4, overall we look improved. So I guess I need to learn patience, but still a little miffed that we didn't do more to fill in known holes on this team other than WR.

Didn't you get this out of your system all off season long? We know TT did a poor job of signing free agents because he didn't do anything at all. However the 1st pre season game hardly seems like the appropriate time to make a post saying How long until we sign somebody? Nothing big will probably happen again until next off season. Just my two cents though.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm definitely with you on the TE thing, because all that was done was drafting a guy in the 7th round.

At safety, they drafted a guy in the third round, which is much better, but he looks like a bit of a project, considering that he was coming off a not-so-good season in his senior year of college. With Underwood coming back from injury, Atari Bigby looking good in the off-season workouts, and Manuel fully up to speed after his Super Bowl injury, one could argue that there was reason to think we'd be improved at strong safety. It's a shaky argument, but not a ridiculous one.

I really don't think you can accuse Thompson of neglecting the RB position, however. A second round pick is a pretty big deal, and once Marshawn Lynch was taken by the Bills, there just weren't any RB's worthy of the #16 overall pick. As long as Brandon Jackson pans out, the RB position will be okay, with Morency hopefully staying healthy and playing a supporting role.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Didn't you get this out of your system all off season long? We know TT did a poor job of signing free agents because he didn't do anything at all. However the 1st pre season game hardly seems like the appropriate time to make a post saying How long until we sign somebody? Nothing big will probably happen again until next off season. Just my two cents though.

I think you are missing what I am saying, actually not trying to rip TT. We wanted to see what we had and in certain areas, TE and SS we still seem to be struggling. Traditionally teams after a game or two make some roster moves and try to fill in some gaps that have been seen after 2 plus weeks of camp and some game action. Look at the transaction line from yesterday and watch it today. A small flury of moves, so it got me thinking about the Packers... not Ted Thompson.

To me, we have one area that I think we can safely say we don't have strength, TE. You have teams like Denver that have 4 strong canidates at TE. There are a few SS that might be worth bringing in for a tryout and looksee. Can they physically play? Someone like Parrish has enough experience that after a few weeks might be ready to go.

RB, I agree, unless someone falls into our lap, we aren't probably going to find anyone to add strength to the group other than with experience. Plus I am sorry I am not sold on Mo and him staying healthy.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as the safety position goes I think we will be alright there. Safeties don't generally just walk out onto the field and play great. They need that game experience.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
As far as the safety position goes I think we will be alright there. Safeties don't generally just walk out onto the field and play great. They need that game experience.

I agree however, if you have a chance to be a truely special defense do you want a weakspot where you have a player learning on the job?

You can scheme away from certain things, but a safety that makes mental mistakes is hard to cover up. JMO.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:

I agree however, if you have a chance to be a truely special defense do you want a weakspot where you have a player learning on the job?

You can scheme away from certain things, but a safety that makes mental mistakes is hard to cover up. JMO.

The mistakes I saw from the safeties Saturday appeared to be the same as those that Manuel and Collins were making last year. On the touchdown Bigby was out of position and Underwood was late. We saw that a lot last year until those two finally figured it out.

Whoever plays back there we obviously don't need them to take six games or whatever to figure out the system and not get out of position. It obviously works well once the players can execute it because it was like night and day once they got it down.

If one of these guys steps up and gives the coaches confidence they can do the job fine otherwise Manuel will stay in there until someone beats him out. We cannot afford a gimme TD in every one of the first six games again like last year. Right now Manuel/Collins gives them the best chance because of all the time they spent getting it right.

If all eleven starters from last year were on the field Saturday I doubt the Steelers would have done much out there. As it was what they got came from big plays I believe our starters would not have allowed.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Here is something I found today... any interest in this safety?

www.NFL.com said:
While the Chiefs wait on Johnson and Holmes, they continue fielding inquiries for veteran playmaking safety Greg Wesley. The latest came Monday from the Houston Texans, who lost starter Glenn Earl to a season-ending foot injury.

Wesley, a former third-round pick who started 14 games last season, would be an ideal replacement for the Texans. But Houston is looking in other areas as well. Former Giants and Panthers safety Shaun Williams is scheduled to work out for the Texans this week. Former 49ers safety Tony Parrish, who worked out Monday for the Jaguars, also is available.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is something I found today... any interest in this safety?

www.NFL.com said:
While the Chiefs wait on Johnson and Holmes, they continue fielding inquiries for veteran playmaking safety Greg Wesley. The latest came Monday from the Houston Texans, who lost starter Glenn Earl to a season-ending foot injury.

Wesley, a former third-round pick who started 14 games last season, would be an ideal replacement for the Texans. But Houston is looking in other areas as well. Former Giants and Panthers safety Shaun Williams is scheduled to work out for the Texans this week. Former 49ers safety Tony Parrish, who worked out Monday for the Jaguars, also is available.

Tony Parrish can bring it.

Members online

Latest posts