How does everyone feel about these punishments?

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings on these.

For one, the helmet to helmet hits deserve the worst punishment. They are extremely dangerous and many of them are intentional (notice the lack of an absolute). I think we can do without these in the NFL. I think these players should be fined and suspended, just as the NFL plans to do.

In regards to the "violent hits," I think this is ridiculous. I mean, come on, this is football. It's a rough sport that is meant to be full of contact. If it's not helmet to helmet, it's fine by me. I don't want players to get hurt, but those hits are awesome, to me it's a big part of football. For example, the hit on Desean Jackson was a legitimate defensive play on the ball, if a receiver is going to catch the ball, you hit them so that they drop it. That's how it works. Kevin Kolb takes all the blame for that, it's on your QB to not throw you under the bus like that. James Harrison's hit? Helmet to helmet. That guy is a dirty player and if he can't accept the fine that goes with hitting someone like that, then he can retire, the NFL doesn't need players like that. I'm sorry if anyone feels differently.

So, all in all, I think you can hit hard and play good old football without going head to head, literally. Sooner or later, NFL players are going to hesitate and offenses will just march down the field. On top of that, the refs are so bad, that penalties will be called on every single down. As a last note, none of this affects us because we never get calls anyways, we'll just be penalized more.

pakerzfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you 100% There has to be more stringent rules on helmet to helmet hits. Those hits are dirty, and the bottom line is that there are ways to tackle without going for the helmet. But rough hits? I understand player safety, I really do. But I mean this is the NFL, you know what you're getting yourself into. You don't go into the NFL and expect to never get hit hard, because you obviously are. If you choose to do so, and us fans are willing to pay to see it, then what's the problem? If the players knowingly put themselves in danger, that is their personal choice. The DeSean Jackson hit was legal, and it makes me mad that someone gets fined anytime someone gets injured. I agree that something has to be done to help helmet to helmet, but rough hits? That seems a bit extreme.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
It makes me want to know how exactly they define "rough hits". Helmet to helmet seems obvious but rough hits seems like a term that can be interpreted as vague. I think they need to be clear on these rules in order to prevent confusion and discrepancy. They also need to be consistent in enforcing them *cough cough don't forget Rogers*. I hope this doesn't take away from the game itself. We don't want a bunch of guys afraid to make tackles and O-Lines running wild on them as a result. Tackles are part of football but there is a line between what is excessive and what is not.

OP
OP
Incubes12

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
It makes me want to know how exactly they define "rough hits". Helmet to helmet seems obvious but rough hits seems like a term that can be interpreted as vague. I think they need to be clear on these rules in order to prevent confusion and discrepancy. They also need to be consistent in enforcing them *cough cough don't forget Rogers*. I hope this doesn't take away from the game itself. We don't want a bunch of guys afraid to make tackles and O-Lines running wild on them as a result. Tackles are part of football but there is a line between what is excessive and what is not.
Exactly. There need to be as many objective criteria as possible, so that all of the awful refs can be judged fairly.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
As any other football fan, I don't see a problem with hard hits. I do see a problem with leading with the helmet on any hit. Lead with the shoulder, not the helmet. They used to call it "spearing", now it is "leading with the helmet." No matter what name it goes by, it is frequently dangerous to the spinal column of the one leading with the helmet and dangerous to the head of the one receiving the blow from a "spear". Players are getting bigger and faster today than they once were, so somebody needs to draw the line.

But, like others have said, this is football. It is a violent sport and those who sign up to play should be prepared for it. I was a Sophomore in High School back in the early seventies. I went out for a pass and got blasted by the starting senior safety. I woke up with a towel over my face. I decided then and there that I was too small to play. If you can't take the violence, become an armchair QB like me.

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No matter what the NFL deems punishable... I just want the refs to be consistent! I am so tired of our guys getting flagged (like Zombo's hit) while someone spears Rodgers causing a concussion and gets fined AFTER the fact/game.

Reaction score
I thought jerome harrisons hits were clean. Both times the player was falling down and then he hit him. One of them was helmet to helmet. The other one he hit him with his forearms or shoulder pads. The Robinsion hit was inexcusable.

Big Dan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pad the outside of the helmets as well as the inside. Not giant and bulbous, but a half-inch, maybe an inch thick. If your foam covered helmet hits my foam covered helmet, a good bit of the impact will be absorbed by the foam. Yes, they'll look stupid, but everyone would be used to 'em by the end of the year.

Packman Chant

Lambeau West
Reaction score
Helmet to helmet to be called on intentionally leading a hit with he helmet to a defenseless player. Good idea NFL, take action. Be fair about it.

Rough hits being looked at the same way? HELL NO, excuse me, but no way they mine as well put flags on the players. If that happens im done with football lol.

OP
OP
Incubes12

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
How many people are hurt playing football every day? Probably a lot. How many people continue to choose to play the game of their own free will? Probably most of them. There are people all over the world who get paid a whole hell of a lot less than NFL players to so way more dangerous jobs.

YoKramer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They also need to put some blame on the Offensive side of the ball. When a player (ala Cutler in that MNF game against Zombo) lowers their shoulders to cause the head to head hit the penalty should either not be called or be much less severe. Now hits like the one from I think it was Merriweather in the Pats game was just plain wrong and should end in a 1 game suspension and a steep fine.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I am ok with this new rule.

Thanks to technology and advanced nutrition, athletes today are getting bigger, faster, and stronger. As a result, they hit harder and can cause significant damage when applied to critical areas (e.g. the head-- which is not getting any stronger than the rest of us mortals). Rules need to be adjusted with the times.

I enjoy watching the elite athletes compete, not standing on the sidelines in casts.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I want them to be consistent..

If the helmet hits on shoulder, or chest then slides up to hit facemask or helmet it shouldnt be a fine or suspension

Maybe they will need to do a replay before ejecting as well if they will do any ejecting

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
helmet to helmet i can understand,but the hard hits com on man this is not flag football at the speed some go after the player your going to feel the impact,that is part of the game you wear gear that helps in rugby for instance they don't have that type of protection d-line players are already trying not to hit hard think that is why you see some big plays their not sure what is going to be legal anymore.

Steely_J

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the NFL is walking down a dangerous path on this one.

They aren't changing the rules,... the rules have always stated that you can't hit a defenseless player in the helmet with your helmet. But now they're changing the way they enforce it. They're setting a precedent that tells players that at ANY point the interpretation of the rules and punishment can be changed after the game, and you can receive whatever punishment the league deems necessary.

That's like getting a ticket retroactively because the law changed the day after you got pulled over.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No its not. they said the rules arent going to be any different from what they are now, just the reprecussions will be worse. they already do the ticket after the fact thing issuing fines later in the week after tape is reviewed.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's an enforcement of the same rule they've had all year, As long as the refs do a good job of it, the game quality will not be changed, calling something a foul when it's just a borderline call could be a problem

OP
OP
Incubes12

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
It's an enforcement of the same rule they've had all year, As long as the refs do a good job of it, the game quality will not be changed, calling something a foul when it's just a borderline call could be a problem
I think the confusion was around hard hits in general. I, for one, wasn't aware what they meant until the NFL clarified it in their official statement. They meant hard hits to the head and neck. If players are going to complain about this rule, then they're dirty scumbags anyways and are playing football for the wrong reasons. We could do without players like James Harrison.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that fauls or non-fauls shoud be reviewable. It's still too much leeway to the human error. I understand the "pace of the game" and all that crap, but the ultimate goal is for games to be decided by who plays best, not by errors.