How do Bad teams stay Bad?

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do teams like the Texans have top draft pick after top draft pick and still play poorly?

David Carr, Andre Johnson, Domanic Davis, Mario Willams . . .

This team has had enough time to get it together.

Why am I talking about the Texans on our board? Because unless we realize that we are rebuilding now and make a REAL long term game plan for rebuilding, we are possibly doomed to go down the same path as our football berthern in Houston.

Along with the draft it is finding good coaches and good FA's to build on the long term. Do we have that?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FAs are the second part of the equation. Most successful teams build their foundation through the draft to establish their team, and then seek out select FAs to put their team over the top. We are in Phase I.....and this year's draft looks to be a very good one to build on for the future.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
The texans have had decent drafts too . . .

Building a team isn't a science. All teams take the same approach. The bottom line is you have to put the best 22 guys on the field and get them to play together and have effective quality depth.

Successful teams find the weak spots on thier team and fill them with quality players. It doesn't matter if they come from the draft or FA or off the street.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT doesn't exactly have a good track record in signing FA's either, so that has me more than a little worried.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
By drafting guys like Mario Williams over Reggie Bush.
In their defense, Mario Williams has even better measurables than Julius Peppers, and looked pretty strong in the Preseason.

However, I would have taken Bush as well.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No matter how good Mario Williams turns out to be, the Texans will rue the day they passed on Bush.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Texans also haven't been very successful building an offensive line which some GM's think is pretty damn important (hear that TT?). Never fear they brought in Mike Sherman to do the job.

(DePack quietly tiptoes out of the forum before the storm arrives).

tonytokes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing to add to the thread but just wanted to thank you Robin for such a great career in Milwaukee. Really was nice growing up and watching you and Paul.

Do you mind autographing this thread for me by quoting my post? It would really mean a lot... to me... my family... my hometown.

Your biggest fan,

- TT (oh no!)

;)

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
How do teams like the Texans have top draft pick after top draft pick and still play poorly?

David Carr, Andre Johnson, Domanic Davis, Mario Willams . . .

This team has had enough time to get it together.

Why am I talking about the Texans on our board? Because unless we realize that we are rebuilding now and make a REAL long term game plan for rebuilding, we are possibly doomed to go down the same path as our football berthern in Houston.

Along with the draft it is finding good coaches and good FA's to build on the long term. Do we have that?

My guess would be coaching sucks. Or did suck for the Texans.

Pablo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:

Hey, don't bring the Texans into this discussion. We own this topic!

Respectfully,
Matt Millen

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well you get the wrong coahing staff and get cheap in signing FA until the fans want to eat you alive, then you go out and overpay for the only big name FA left,,, and then you hide and ......

And it seems that i am describing TT !!!

Wellcome to the 70´s´!!!!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no "fans" want to eat TT alive

"fans" want to cheer on their team.

Webster says:

Entry: "Fan"
Function: noun
Etymology: probably short for fanatic
1 : an enthusiastic devotee (as of a sport or a performing art) usually as a spectator
2 : an ardent admirer or enthusiast

call me crazy, but i dont see anything resembling cannibalism in that.

HOWEVER... this seems closer to your point.

Entry: "Enemy"
Pronunciation: 'e-n&-mE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -mies
Etymology: Middle English enemi, from Anglo-French, from Latin inimicus, from in- 1in- + amicus friend -- more at AMIABLE
1 : one that is antagonistic to another; especially : one seeking to injure, overthrow, or confound an opponent

Hmmmmm ...

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good teams get good by good talent evaluation. Bad teams get bad by bad talent evaluation.

This isn't rocket science folks, good teams win and bad teams don't. There isn't any woulda, shoulda, coulda's column in the standings.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
your right lare.

but i hope you agree that not one single GM in the history of sports has made every decision right.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
your right lare.

but i hope you agree that not one single GM in the history of sports has made every decision right.

And until TT, no GM made every decision wrong

Latest posts