How bout that Datone Jones!

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's a good link from Packers.com and footage of three splash plays made in recent weeks.

http://www.packers.com/media-center...can-play/6537fa0d-8bb6-4897-9f59-cbff01f609c8

The speed the quickness, and the hand work looks pretty good. This Packer fan thinks Datone needs to see more action as a pass rusher outside.

Jones made another great play during the goal line stand that helped preserve the win vs. the Chargers.

I'm surprised he hasn't gotten more playing time.

OP
OP
E

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones made another great play during the goal line stand that helped preserve the win vs. the Chargers.

I'm surprised he hasn't gotten more playing time.

Right now he appears to be our best looking pass rusher, no one else is creating that kind of separation from blockers.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
18 snaps in Denver just isn't right with how he's been performing lately. Hopefully they get him on the field more.

OP
OP
E

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
18 snaps in Denver just isn't right with how he's been performing lately. Hopefully they get him on the field more.

They should atleast double it against Carolina. Thing is he's creating pressure and havoc off direct routes into the backfield. That's big again mobile quarterbacks. Get him playing strongside over the RT, move Peppers to the Defensive right and let Matthews free lance in between.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he is doing great coming in fresh after the big boys pound the oline a while. As a starter he was ineffective. This is what I said they should do with him. And it's working... :)

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he is doing great coming in fresh after the big boys pound the oline a while. As a starter he was ineffective. This is what I said they should do with him. And it's working... :)
That was a knock against him in his scouting report. It's a shame, because he's shown elite ability.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sort of tongue-in-cheek, but this is a good example of adjusting the scheme to the players you have, instead of constantly pounding those square pegs into round holes.

OP
OP
E

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think part of it's maturity and I think part of it is that he's being used outside more often. He looks to be at his best playing just outside of the tackle.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a knock against him in his scouting report. It's a shame, because he's shown elite ability.
When we drafted him I pictured him being like kgb. Has 9 sacks in 3 games coming in off the bench. Earns a starting job and he becomes a joke. No rush. No nothing.
But I think in time Jones could be a do all de. At 30 he gonna be pushing 300 and a absolute beast. We are half way there imo.
Can't lean on those speed guys. You lean on the big dogs raji and daniels. Guion hopefully soon. Then when the oline looks tired you hit them a few times with a fresh Jones. Guaranteed qb pressure....

OP
OP
E

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time to bring this thread back, I believe that this young man deserves more discussion. He's turning into that big fast pass rusher that we envisioned when he was drafted. Perhaps his slow development stemmed more from playing inside as opposed to outside where he played in College. Though he occasionally flashed playmaking ability throughout his three year career his performance last night was sensational. He showed instincts and feel for the rush, he coolly set up a free rush and sack by feigning a drop back into coverage before coming hard and fast around the edge. I didn't see his other sack but throughout the night he looked like a load for the blockers. The only times he didn't look effective rushing the passer, when he was used to hang back and spy on Bridgewater.

The run down, he's big long fast and smart. His agility and ability to break down in space could let him develop into a gamebreaking talent and he certainly looked like one last night.

Hats off to Dom Capers for getting him into the lineup this much and making him a featured part of the Defense. I suspect that getting another good every down pass rusher out onto the field may be what the defense was missing. I expect that with Jones producing sacks that you'll see Matthews go off on a tear again.

OP
OP
E

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we drafted him I pictured him being like kgb. Has 9 sacks in 3 games coming in off the bench. Earns a starting job and he becomes a joke. No rush. No nothing.
But I think in time Jones could be a do all de. At 30 he gonna be pushing 300 and a absolute beast. We are half way there imo.
Can't lean on those speed guys. You lean on the big dogs raji and daniels. Guion hopefully soon. Then when the oline looks tired you hit them a few times with a fresh Jones. Guaranteed qb pressure....

Hes not as fast or explosive as KGB was and Datone has about 40 pounds on him. Datone will never be that same kind of edge threat that Kabeer was but he doesnt have to be. Do all DE sounds about right, I want the Packers to move towards a bit more of a hybrid scheme and use Datone as an Elephant End USC style. With plenty of drops into coverage and opportunities to play in space. Datone looked pretty comfortable playing OLB in the playoffs against the 9ners in his first season.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of us loved KGB, but in general, I'm always a bigger fan of a guy that can play all three downs. Datone is developing......the way one should do in a draft & develop strategy. Fans need to remember that like our children, not everyone develops at the same speed according to some script.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones is becoming the 1st round talent everyone knew he could be. Late-ish bloomer.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Datone is saving his best for next year, when his contract is up. It is nice to see him living up to his first round status, as long as he keeps improving and stays healthy. I seem to remember him being nicked up every year since we drafted him, so that doesn't make it easy to get things rolling for a young guy.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any idea what the option price would be on Datone for 2017 if we want to pick it up?

D

Deleted member 6794

Any idea what the option price would be on Datone for 2017 if we want to pick it up?

This past offseason the fifth-year option for defensive ends drafted between the 11th and 32nd pick was set at $7.799 million, so I guess the Packers would have to pay him over $8 million in 2017.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
From that site, here is a single game example to update a certain poster that spent most of the summer expounding on the 2 DL defense.
"Total defensive plays: 64
Defensive line: Mike Daniels: 44
B.J. Raji: 34
Datone Jones: 31
Letroy Guion
: 19
Mike Pennel
: 5"
I see 133 DL snaps or just over 2 DL per snap. No evidence in this game whatsoever about Capers playing more heavies this season. And they still did a decent job. No I don't have time or inclination to break it down by down and distance.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From that site, here is a single game example to update a certain poster that spent most of the summer expounding on the 2 DL defense.
"Total defensive plays: 64
Defensive line: Mike Daniels: 44
B.J. Raji: 34
Datone Jones: 31
Letroy Guion: 19
Mike Pennel: 5"
I see 133 DL snaps or just over 2 DL per snap. No evidence in this game whatsoever about Capers playing more heavies this season. And they still did a decent job. No I don't have time or inclination to break it down by down and distance.
Lazy *** :)

I didn't realize Pennel only played 5 snaps, and here I was giving him credit for helping shut down Peterson. I guess I thought he was out there more. Not that he showed up a lot, I just figured he was holding his point allowing everyone else to make plays. Daniels, Jones, and Raji are noticeable on a lot of plays whether they make it or not. Doing a very good job of moving that LOS this year.

OP
OP
E

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazy *** :)

I didn't realize Pennel only played 5 snaps, and here I was giving him credit for helping shut down Peterson. I guess I thought he was out there more. Not that he showed up a lot, I just figured he was holding his point allowing everyone else to make plays. Daniels, Jones, and Raji are noticeable on a lot of plays whether they make it or not. Doing a very good job of moving that LOS this year.

He started the game playing on run snaps, but then he got dinged and they pulled him.

Members online

Latest posts