How bout that Datone Jones!

OP
OP
E

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any idea what the option price would be on Datone for 2017 if we want to pick it up?

Given his versatility, and given his play they'll likely extend him at the end of this year to try and get a deal from him.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but then again, Peterson wasn't penalized for removing his helmet on the field.

I'm glad neither was called a penalty. I don't like penalties called for celebrating like Nick Collins in the Super Bowl. For some players it's a once in a lifetime like Raji's pick six against the Bears. Let them have fun......the fans love it.

OP
OP
E

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad neither was called a penalty. I don't like penalties called for celebrating like Nick Collins in the Super Bowl. For some players it's a once in a lifetime like Raji's pick six against the Bears. Let them have fun......the fans love it.

I think the league could relax on celebration. Now when it's confrontational behavior thats different.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Any idea what the option price would be on Datone for 2017 if we want to pick it up?

TT (if still GM) will not pay him a penny more then he is worth to the Packers at the time and will attempt to pay him many pennies less then this value, or let him walk.

OP
OP
E

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT (if still GM) will not pay him a penny more then he is worth to the Packers at the time and will attempt to pay him many pennies less then this value, or let him walk.

It depends. The way Dom is using him he could be a cornerstone of the Defense. His ability to rush from inside and out is rare(assuming this holds up) and his blend of size agility speed and explosiveness might be rarer. Perhaps he could replace Peppers when he gets too old... although he might have another year in him. Look at this sack from the 7 tech spot from last year, notice how smooth he looks out there and how he translates speed into power:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both should have been. Celebrate, don't spike, kick or throw the ball when it needs to be spotted for the next play. I bet you'd have no issue if GB was down 2 with time running out, no timeouts left and sitting at the edge of FG range and Rodgers gets sacked. The offense is lined up to run another play, but they can't spot the ball because they're chasing down the one MN defender spiked and went bouncing 30 yards away. It's a rule for a reason. 30thousand other ways to "celebrate" than spike a ball that needs to be spotted for play. I suspect he was warned and the next one will be a flag.

as for Peterson, he wasn't celebrating, he was mad, should have been flagged. Pull your helmet off to escalate things should be flagged. I bet he was warned as well. Amazing how kids can keep be expected to keep composure but Professionals can't?

Neither was celebrating a once in a lifetime, they just lost their cool.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When they balance out the "look how great I am" celebrations with "did you see my bonehead play there?" antics, I'll start to cut them some slack. Otherwise, Barry Sanders all the way.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Call me a homer, but I will gladly give up 15 yards Thursday night to see Raji spike the ball and dance in the end zone all while his helmet is off :coffee:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Like AJ Hawk's 2011 contract? ;)

The thing that bothers me most about celebrations is when the player celebrating pushes his teammates away to start or continue his celebration. It doesn't happen often but it says a lot about the player when it does. Next for me is the celebration of a good play that a player is expected to make from time to time: First quarter 2nd and 5 in the opponents territory. A TFL shouldn't lead to a title-winning celebration.

And I'll second Half Empty's "Barry Sanders all the way": The epitome of, 'act like you've been there before'.

OP
OP
E

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Aaron's belt or Clay Matthews predator celebration cause any undue delay or theatrics. Sometimes a dominant player should let people know that he's a dominant player.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call me a homer, but I will gladly give up 15 yards Thursday night to see Raji spike the ball and dance in the end zone all while his helmet is off :coffee:
spiking the ball in the endzone doesn't delay the game, the clock is stopped and an untimed down follows. A little dance after a TD, to each his own, I don't mind the small ones. He can keep his helmet on, with our history (not necessarily this year) I'd prefer to let Mason kick it out of the endzone rather than allow for a good return.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess I was trying to make a "Subtle" point.....if you are going to celebrate, spike the ball, take your helmet off or anything else that costs your team 15 yards, you better have done something really special that offsets the yards. Otherwise, you are just looking like a fool who may have given your opponent a first down and more.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we're estimating the option year on Datone for 2017 is $8M, it might be worth exercising depending on his performance the rest of the season.

They must decide by March. The upside is gaining an extra year of club control for a reasonable price (8M may sound like a lot, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a franchise tag or transition tag for a DE.) If Datone is a bust in 2016, you can still release him and get out of the option as long as he isn't injured.

If he continues to break out you've got him under control yet in 2017 for a reasonable salary which also gives the team more leverage at that point if they'd prefer a long-term deal than if you were dealing with an upcoming UFA.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts