How badly do the Packers need Bubba?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching the scrimmage and the preseason game, I'm not sure how much the Packers are missing Bubba Franks. The run blocking has been bad, but how much of that is because Bubba's not in there? It's hard for me to tell. I suspect the problem is mostly with the changes in the O-line and a rusty Mike Flanagan. Meanwhile, these other tight ends seem to be catching the same kinds of passes that Bubba does. It just might be that Bubba's value is decreasing rather than increasing the longer he holds out.

I hate to say this because Bubba Franks is a good tight end and a consummate pro, but I think he's asking for way too much money. He's a very good complementary player, but he may not be the difference-maker he thinks he is. As I've said before, the best way out of this situation for everybody might be for Bubba to sign the one-year tender with the agreement that the Packers won't slap a tag on him again next year. If the Packers weren't going to pay him $3.5 million per year before the preseason, they're certainly not going to pay it now.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post, I tend to agree. I think we want to get Bubba in, but at a decent price. If we overpay him a couple of hunndred thousand I believe it is no big deal. However, we don't want to pay him an extra half mill or more a year. Bubba and his agent need to get realistic, if he was really worth three and a half mill he would be with another team by now because the Packers would not have matched the offer IMO. I would not sign him for a one year "band aid" because we would be worse than where we started at this time next year.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Watching the scrimmage and the preseason game, I'm not sure how much the Packers are missing Bubba Franks. The run blocking has been bad, but how much of that is because Bubba's not in there? It's hard for me to tell. I suspect the problem is mostly with the changes in the O-line and a rusty Mike Flanagan. Meanwhile, these other tight ends seem to be catching the same kinds of passes that Bubba does. It just might be that Bubba's value is decreasing rather than increasing the longer he holds out.

I hate to say this because Bubba Franks is a good tight end and a consummate pro, but I think he's asking for way too much money. He's a very good complementary player, but he may not be the difference-maker he thinks he is. As I've said before, the best way out of this situation for everybody might be for Bubba to sign the one-year tender with the agreement that the Packers won't slap a tag on him again next year. If the Packers weren't going to pay him $3.5 million per year before the preseason, they're certainly not going to pay it now.

If Bubba Franks doesn't sign for the one-year tender and get on the field, the Packers should just let him sit out the year.

It really doesn't matteranyway, because the Packers aren't going anywhere in 2005.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bubba is a very fine player, but he's not a great player. As pro athletes go he probably deserves somewhere in the 2.5 to 3 mil. range. You just can't afford to give your tight end 4 mil a year. They're going to need cap room to sign Walker in another year and they'll have to make sure that they lock up Clifton and Tauscher and they still have to take care of Green. On the offensive side of the ball, the big money goes to your great back, your great receiver and your great Quarterback. Just like on Defense you pay your best D-back, your best safety, your best linebacker and your best pass rushing-run stopping lineman. The rest of the team gets whats left. Bubba is in with that group of players.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very good posts on this topic, the Packer will probably sign "Bubba Franks" shortly before Summer camp ends. The Packers probably don't want sign him for much more than top five players at his position, which is what they are offering to pay him now. Bubba will have to come down a bit on his demands, and he wants a long term contract at high contract. The going rate for tight ends isn't what it was a few years ago. The Packer offense doesn't feature the tight end like back in 90's, Packers now have group of very good wide receivers to catch the passes from Brett.But Bubba is a good blocker and good at catching very short passes in End zone. but is that worth a huge contract. If David Martin stays healthy and becomes consistant at catching passes from Brett. Or if Ben Steele keeps catching passes consistantly like he has for the past two weeks. "Bubba" might be prompted to be more compromising on his contract demands. And if both Tight ends improve on their blocking, Watch out Bubba!!

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's something to munch on: the offensive line already has two players(guards) who are below the standards of last year, do we need a third?

Bubba is a very good run blocker. With Wahle and Rivera gone, that means a 50% turnover of one of the best blocking lines in many years.

Why not sign him and give the backs a little help?

The curious thing about it is the Packers want him in, he wants to come in and the sides seem willing to compromise, yet nothing is done. Odd.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
[quote="Greg C.":23mi0nmb]Watching the scrimmage and the preseason game, I'm not sure how much the Packers are missing Bubba Franks. The run blocking has been bad, but how much of that is because Bubba's not in there? It's hard for me to tell. I suspect the problem is mostly with the changes in the O-line and a rusty Mike Flanagan. Meanwhile, these other tight ends seem to be catching the same kinds of passes that Bubba does. It just might be that Bubba's value is decreasing rather than increasing the longer he holds out.

If Bubba Franks doesn't sign for the one-year tender and get on the field, the Packers should just let him sit out the year.

It really doesn't matteranyway, because the Packers aren't going anywhere in 2005.[/quote:23mi0nmb]

Do you have anything positive to say at all?

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

The Pack would like to sign Bubba to a long term contract -- he is an important player to the team. What is happening is simply good, hard negotiating by both sides.

Bubba is not a holdout -- he does not have a contract. There would be no way to enforce the agreement not to slap him with the tag next season if he agreed to sign the tender. Further it would benefit both sides to get a more CAP friendly long term contract. They just are not in the same ball park yet -- both sides would be wise to move some, but there is still plenty of time. Both sides are waiting for the other to blink.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
Steel Wheels said:
[quote="Greg C.":2q8x126o]Watching the scrimmage and the preseason game, I'm not sure how much the Packers are missing Bubba Franks. The run blocking has been bad, but how much of that is because Bubba's not in there? It's hard for me to tell. I suspect the problem is mostly with the changes in the O-line and a rusty Mike Flanagan. Meanwhile, these other tight ends seem to be catching the same kinds of passes that Bubba does. It just might be that Bubba's value is decreasing rather than increasing the longer he holds out.

It really doesn't matteranyway, because the Packers aren't going anywhere in 2005.

Do you have anything positive to say at all?[/quote:2q8x126o]

I agree with the comment on Bubba, but the Packers won a Pre Season game therefore they MUST be going somewhere!

Members online

Latest posts