1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Houston signs Ahman Green

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Packersfan43084, Mar 4, 2007.

1. umair

umair Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i am speechless right now.

its sad to see green go, i was hopeing hw would get that record.

2. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  3. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted him to stay so bad, the running game is going to be different now.

4. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You bring up a good point cyoung, with Green gone and Henderson possibly leaving, a new era may have to be quickly ushered in. :-?

5. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, I'm really surprised at how quickly this happened. I sure hope the Packers have a plan. Morency is nice, but I don't think he really established himself as a #1 RB last year.

I'd hate to see us platooning that position with lame results. It sure would put a dent in any run at the Super Bowl.

I also think it takes away another friend of Brett Favre's giving him less reason to stick around much after this season.

6. umair

umair Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i still dont understand why they just let him go green/Morency was a good combanation.

green still have a couple of years left in him.

7. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Would you have seriously advocated paying him 8 million this year?

8. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    umair, I think the Texans overpaid for Green, and TT isn't one to overpay anyone.

TT made an offer to Green, and Green tested the market and found a better one. At least that is how I think things went down.

9. umair

umair Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i can see where you guys are coming from, but i am still alittle worried. ill be more worried if we dont get a decent rb because i dont think it will be safe for favre to throw the ball 40 times a game because that means more ints.

we should have stayed on the safe side and paied him becaue its better to be safe than sorry(just my opinion).

10. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Perfect wording. You simply don't pay $5,000 for a car that you value at $2,000.

Sucks to see Green go. I really liked him. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about our running game... as of RIGHT NOW anyway.

11. Titletown088

Titletown088 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well the pack set up a meeting with Henry so hopefully they can figure somthing out soon.

12. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm siding with Umair I wish they would of paid him, and I agree with zero I am scared I hope they find someone good, then I guess Noah Herron or Vernard Morency gets the keys (Hey maybe even Arliss Beach).

13. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Here is some more info on the deal:

March 4, 2007, 6:07PM
    Texans sign running back Ahman Green

By JOHN MCCLAIN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The Texans have reached an agreement with their first free agent Green Bay running back Ahman Green.

Green, 30, is signing a four-year contract worth $23 million, including $6.5 million in guarantees.

Green has been one of the most productive running backs in the NFL for the past seven years.

The former Nebraska running back enjoyed his five best seasons (2000-2004) when Mike Sherman was the Packers head coach. During that period, he never rushed for fewer than 1,163 yards. His best season was 2003 when he rushed for 1,883 yards and scored 20 touchdowns.

Green immediately becomes the starter, from a group that includes Wali Lundy, Chris Taylor and Samkon Gado.

The Texans are trying to resign Ron Dayne.

Green, a No. 1 pick by Seattle in 1998, is a ten-year veteran, who rushed for 1,059 yards and scored six touchdowns last season.

"We're excited to get this deal done because Ahman's been a successful running back in this league for a long time," general manager Rick Smith said. "We're going to hitch our wagon to him.

"We're not worried about his age because he takes great care of himself and is in great condition. One of the many things we like about him is his versaility. Not only can he run the ball, but he's an excellent receiver, too. We think he's an ideal fit for our system."

The Texans have set up visits with three more unrestricted free agents for this week: linebacker Danny Clark, defensive tackle James Reed and quarterback Patrick Ramsay.

john.mcclain@chron.com

14. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I can honestly say this excites me. I have a feeling that Ted will provide us with and upgraded backfield compared to what we had last year. Green was a great talent, but hey, lets move on. I'm psyched.

15. packerfan1245

packerfan1245 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    NOOOO OMFG are YOU KIDDING ME???? my fav ** player holy **cow. NICE JOB TED.

**edited by Trippster

16. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    I will say this, if TT did not have a backup plan (which I think he did), then he is a friggin moron.

As of now, TT has to some serious work to do before the draft.

17. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Green was still pretty good but he has losted a step he is now at the point where RB's careers most of the time turn bad and that is way to much money for him. Time to move on theres always someone else and who knows maybe we get someone better.

18. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I expected something like... "I have nothing but good memories of the people and my time in Green Bay."

But NO! The plot thickens.

Green said: "I think speaking in general with anybody that has been in a situation for a long time, regardless of if it was good or bad, I've been there seven years. Some good, some bad."

Mr. Green Praytell. Please..... What was the bad.

Someone in the press please ask that question.

Raider Pride.

19. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Looks like another slick move by Ted Thompson. Who will replace Green now? Ted lets another one slip.

I was hoping Ahman would stay, but Im not surprised that he went away. Lets look for a running back in the draft.

20. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    That $6.5 million is too much to pay an aging RB. JMO.

21. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That doesn't take into account his base salary for 2007 either. He's probably going to earn almost 8 mil for this year. No way was Green worth that much. Seems like people are to scared of change.

Green was an All Pro RB in his prime. Now he's a pretty good player but he's expandable. I rather see that money used on Nick Barnett.

22. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    8 million was too much to pay. But i am sad to see him go. He was a great guy, that did alot of charity work here.
    I for one will miss him.

23. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    :rotflmao:

I think we should have kept Ahmad Carroll around because he's totally my favorite player

24. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    If Greene signed for 23 million for four years, then I'm glad we didn't sign up. That's too much money and too long of a contract for an older running back with problems hanging on to the ball. He was still fairly explosive. The problem is that once again we have virtually no depth at the position. Thanks Mike.

25. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    RB is debatably the easiest position to fill in the NFL...I liked Green, but it isn't as big of a loss as people are worried about.