Hitting the wall

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer players who have hit the wall since the Viking game:

Greg Jennings--Has he really declined that much, or has Favre just gotten out of the habit of throwing in his direction? Probably some of both.

O-line--Seemed to be getting into a groove in mid-season, but have regressed. Tight ends are still needed to help with the blocking on most pass plays.

Dave Rayner--He can't kick field goals (or even kick off effectively anymore), but he sure can tackle!

Defensive tackles--Pickett, Williams, and Jenkins have had two bad games in a row, allowing opposing RB's to gouge the defense up the middle, especially today.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Greg Jennings--Has he really declined that much, or has Favre just gotten out of the habit of throwing in his direction? Probably some of both.

But be hating on Jennings he was out a few games and playing threw a bad ankle, also it doesnt seem like Favre throws him the ball all that often. Plus he is a rookie and already a million times better then Ferguson ever was and ever will be.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

O-line--Seemed to be getting into a groove in mid-season, but have regressed. Tight ends are still needed to help with the blocking on most pass plays.

Dave Rayner--He can't kick field goals (or even kick off effectively anymore), but he sure can tackle!

Defensive tackles--Pickett, Williams, and Jenkins have had two bad games in a row, allowing opposing RB's to gouge the defense up the middle, especially today.

Jennings hasnt hit the wall, he just isnt all that good. If you cant create seperation, you cant be a good receiver and i rarely see him more than a foot away from the defender.

KGB is a major liability vs the run. The other D-lineman are just average players. Even Kampman is just slightly above average.

Dave Rayner--We need touchdowns anyway, not field goals :)

O line is just young.

Reaction score
Jennings hasnt hit the wall, he just isnt all that good. If you cant create seperation, you cant be a good receiver and i rarely see him more than a foot away from the defender.

To be fair, in this O scheme, you don't need quickness, just above average burst (which Jennings has), and the ability to make a quick move or two and do something after the catch (something he has shown he can do). IMO there are still lingering effects from the injury that are hurting his play, and Brett has responded by not paying much attention to him lately due to the injury limiting Jennings.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre -- isnt the old brett favre anymore. Accuracy fading fast, and power too maybe? I used to not think that but today sounded like he didnt have the zip on it like he usually does.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

But be hating on Jennings he was out a few games and playing threw a bad ankle, also it doesnt seem like Favre throws him the ball all that often. Plus he is a rookie and already a million times better then Ferguson ever was and ever will be.

I'm not hating on Jennings. I like the guy, and I think he will be a good receiver in this league. I was just pointing out the fact that he's basically done nothing for the past few weeks. Favre would rather throw to Driver in triple coverage than Jennings in single coverage.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Jennings is making plays when given the chance.

He hasn't seen many balls thrown his way. That I figure to be for one of two reasons. A, Brett is tunnel visioned to Driver B, He's not getting open.

The thing with Jennings is even if he's getting open and hes not getting the ball. He's not Moss or Walker or Owens or anyone that's gonna ***** an whine about it. So you and I won't really know about it. Instead some just assume Jennings 'hit the wall'.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KGB is a major liability vs the run. The other D-lineman are just average players. Even Kampman is just slightly above average.

KGB got torched by Seattle in the running game last week, but today the Jets were running the ball straight up the gut against our DT's, which was very disturbing. I thought we were fairly solid there. This defense is springing leaks all over the place now. I was hoping it was just a domino effect caused by the horrendous play of our safeties, which would mean it's fixable with a couple new players next year, but there are other problems too. I have a lot of doubts about the coaching, including the defensive coordinator, because our defense gets outsmarted a lot more than it outsmarts opposing offenses. I think they are performing as a unit way below the talent level of the individual players.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

He hasn't seen many balls thrown his way. That I figure to be for one of two reasons. A, Brett is tunnel visioned to Driver B, He's not getting open.

The thing with Jennings is even if he's getting open and hes not getting the ball. He's not Moss or Walker or Owens or anyone that's gonna ***** an whine about it. So you and I won't really know about it. Instead some just assume Jennings 'hit the wall'.

Jennings is never open, nobody is ever open. You think Favre intentionally throws to Driver who is doubled or triple covered while Jennings and everyone else is wide open?? No fking way. Jennings is gobbled up nearly every play by single coverage with minimal safety help. If you watched every game then you already know that.

The guys a rookie and i understand that and its not his fault that he is the 2nd best receiver we have. Not blaming him, all im saying is that we need a real number 1 receiver(Walker), DD can be #2 and Jennings can take his rightful place in the 3 wide packages.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

KGB got torched by Seattle in the running game last week, but today the Jets were running the ball straight up the gut against our DT's, which was very disturbing. I thought we were fairly solid there. This defense is springing leaks all over the place now. I was hoping it was just a domino effect caused by the horrendous play of our safeties, which would mean it's fixable with a couple new players next year, but there are other problems too. I have a lot of doubts about the coaching, including the defensive coordinator, because our defense gets outsmarted a lot more than it outsmarts opposing offenses. I think they are performing as a unit way below the talent level of the individual players.

Plus, its hard to play up to championship level when you have nothing to play for. No superbowl, no playoffs, no winning record. Nothing is really on the line so it doesent matter if they stink up the joint. These guys are rich, why would they play hard and risk injuring themselves when they know they will probably lose anyway, and even if they do win, it doesent really matter to anyone except to the fans. No NFL team is bad enough to be losing 31 - 0 after the first half. They have quit, plain and simple.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Greg C. said:

Jennings is never open, nobody is ever open. You think Favre intentionally throws to Driver who is doubled or triple covered while Jennings and everyone else is wide open?? No fking way. Jennings is gobbled up nearly every play by single coverage with minimal safety help. If you watched every game then you already know that.

The guys a rookie and i understand that and its not his fault that he is the 2nd best receiver we have. Not blaming him, all im saying is that we need a real number 1 receiver(Walker), DD can be #2 and Jennings can take his rightful place in the 3 wide packages.

You lost at "nobody is ever open". If you had worthy reading after, I apologize for disreguarding it, however it was a deserved oversee.

charlesplaisted

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre -- isnt the old brett favre anymore. Accuracy fading fast, and power too maybe? I used to not think that but today sounded like he didnt have the zip on it like he usually does.

Is that all you can say? Just because you babble it over and over doesn't make it true.

Phil Simms didn't seem to think Favre had lost any zip on the ball. I think I'd believe him over you.

If you said the whole Packer offense was lacking zip then I'd agree with you. And FlaPackfan is right. There are no receivers who can get open with any consistency, unless you go to the check down guys and you see how far that will get you. Maybe to the 20 yard line and a FG. Maybe.

But I guess it's easier to obsessively (and wrongly) blame Favre when you just can't face the truth about your team.

Matt Schaub? What a joke.

Are you picking quarterbacks out of a hat now? Why not Anthony Dilweg while your at it.

You are funny, but not in a good way. :rotflmao:

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
Zero2Cool said:
Greg C. said:

You lost at "nobody is ever open". If you had worthy reading after, I apologize for disreguarding it, however it was a deserved oversee.

They are open enough to fit a perfect pass in there, thats about it. Any pass thats not perfect is deflected or picked off. Brett has no room for error unlike most other QB's with quality offensive talent.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
They are open enough to fit a perfect pass in there, thats about it. Any pass thats not perfect is deflected or picked off. Brett has no room for error unlike most other QB's with quality offensive talent.

The jokes over, now reply with something serious. I know you're not being serious with this. Have you not watched the Packers this year? They've been letting WR/TE open all the damn time.

When there is a 3-5 yard radius of NO ONE by you. THATS OPEN! My gosh.

charlesplaisted

Cheesehead
Reaction score
serious with this. Have you not watched the Packers this year? They've been letting WR/TE open all the damn time.

Zero,

Are you referring to the offense or the defense of the GB Packers?

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
serious with this. Have you not watched the Packers this year? They've been letting WR/TE open all the damn time.

Zero,

he was referring to the d but it does not really matter because both of them need to improve. their is not one thing that this team is very good at.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

Zero,

How would the Packers be letting ... nm

I am referring to the Packers defense letting the opposition WR/TE open. I am sorry. I thought it was obvious. The voices in my head understood me!! :)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Yep. Ruvell Martin was not open when he caught his TD. I mean there was a guy like ten yards away. That's blanket coverage!!

edit, wait a tick!!

A defensive breakdown left the Packers’ No. 3 receiver, Ruvell Martin, uncovered, and quarterback Brett Favre lofted a 36-yard touchdown his way for the Packers’ first score.

Uncovered, is that the same as being OPEN?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Just listene to Brett's confrence. About the Ruvell Martin TD. He said Jennings was pointing to Martin lol ... Brett said he thinks thats the first time he's had a player point him to the direction of an open WR lol

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Jennings directs Favre

Greg Jennings stood in the end zone and pointed.

Jennings noticed that Favre seemed to be looking in his direction and Jennings wanted to get Favre's attention.

When Favre saw Jennings' signal, he saw what Jennings was so excited about.

Packers receiver Ruvell Martin was standing in the end zone without a single defender anywhere nearby.

Favre then connected with Martin with a 36-yard touchdown.

"I was looking for Donald (Driver) or Greg and then I noticed Greg pointing, because he's such an instinctive player," Favre said. "I don't know if I've ever seen a guy that open."

Martin said as he stood in the corner of the end zone waiting for the pass, his mind was racing to make sure he didn't do anything to screw up his first NFL touchdown.

"I was just thinking that I better catch it," said Martin, laughing. "I was so open that something really bad would have to happen for me to miss that."

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Score this thread for Zero. The only thing I don't appreciate is when we always to easily generalize everything just cause it's easier posting. I can agree some WR's aren't getting open but to say NO ONE. How does DD get in the top 5 in receiving yards without ever getting open.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings directs Favre

Greg Jennings stood in the end zone and pointed.

Jennings noticed that Favre seemed to be looking in his direction and Jennings wanted to get Favre's attention.

When Favre saw Jennings' signal, he saw what Jennings was so excited about.

Packers receiver Ruvell Martin was standing in the end zone without a single defender anywhere nearby.

Favre then connected with Martin with a 36-yard touchdown.

"I was looking for Donald (Driver) or Greg and then I noticed Greg pointing, because he's such an instinctive player," Favre said. "I don't know if I've ever seen a guy that open."

Martin said as he stood in the corner of the end zone waiting for the pass, his mind was racing to make sure he didn't do anything to screw up his first NFL touchdown.

"I was just thinking that I better catch it," said Martin, laughing. "I was so open that something really bad would have to happen for me to miss that."

That's too cool on Jennings part.

Funny about Martin saying that (about possibly dropping the ball being so open). I've done that before. If it's too easy, sometimes you have time to think and drop the ball.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Score this thread for Zero. The only thing I don't appreciate is when we always to easily generalize everything just cause it's easier posting. I can agree some WR's aren't getting open but to say NO ONE. How does DD get in the top 5 in receiving yards without ever getting open.

The 'NO ONE' is what got to me. I've seen so many plays where the WR was OPEN by any logical definition. I also understand open can mean having a step on the CB. I always looked for that when I played QB in high school.

Members online

Latest posts