Hey Packer Fans, Are We Spoiled

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure in the hell didn't feel spoiled when I was at the 2015 NFC Champ game.

Of coiurse you weren't. That game was awful. But face it, did you take our playoff berth for granted? That is what the OP is getting at here: We go to the playoffs so often it is expected every year. Did we expect to play in the NFC Championship Game without any good running backs or defensive backs who could sttay healthy? Not me. So I was not spoiled either.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously, 'spoiled' is at the top of the subjectivity list. As noted, I've expected them to be in the playoffs every year with AR, and they have been. Hence, using that as a base, I've expected them to win it more than once, which hasn't happened and so, no, I've not been spoiled, much more the opposite.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're spoiled by great QBs the last 20+ years.... haven't really taken as much advantage of that as we should have....

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're spoiled by great QBs the last 20+ years.... haven't really taken as much advantage of that as we should have....

This is what I have a lways said and tried to explain. If we did not have two HOF quarterbacks for most of the last 25 years, how many Packers fans would have expected us to be in the playoffs annually? There is a reason many people said Sacksonville is a good QB away from the Super Bowl.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem with a thread like this is spoiled people don't know they're spoiled.

There' always a legit reason for them to think a certain way in their minds

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There' always a legit reason for them to think a certain way in their minds

The reason for this is most people don't also root for a team that has never been to the Super Bowl and just ended a 10-year playoff drought. You have to be a hardcore fan of a team like Jacksonville to understand what it really means to win in the playoffs.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay's nickname is Titletown. That carries pretty high expectations right there, wouldn't you say?
If you are a fan of the New York Yankees, are you satisfied with less than a World Series win?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay's nickname is Titletown. That carries pretty high expectations right there, wouldn't you say?
If you are a fan of the New York Yankees, are you satisfied with less than a World Series win?
The problem with this, is you're a FAN, that's it. Cheer, be excited, love the team, but you're still just a fan. What you do on a day to day basis, during the game, after the game, how many beers you chug, how many hail mary's you say, how many dollars you bet, how many lucky shirts you buy , etc, has zero bearing on anything that happens on the field.

3 out of the past 5 seasons I felt we were really good bets for a super bowl trophy. the past 2 i've felt if things go just right, we could challenge for it. Have had a lot of good years before that too. we aren't going to win anything just because we're "titletown". We dont' get roster exemptions, extra cap space, or magic wands for injury. We aren't immune to roster turnover, bad breaks and decisions that didn't work and every week they have to line up against other men trying to do the same thing to them.

If you can't appreciate the game for what it is and need the trophy earned by other men to feel validated in your fandome, I contend you're not a fan at all. You don't like the game, let alone appreciate all that it entails.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thank you for being so kind as to prove my point

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It makes no difference. If you are a die-hard fan of any sports team, you want to win the naitnoal championship game - Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, etc. The nickname Titletown does not imply only Packers fans should be upset about failure to win the Super Bowl. How high your expectations should be depends strictly on how the NFL is right now, which is why the Patriots are always favored to win or at least get there. People are going to think differently if they actually live in Titletown.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 out of the past 5 seasons I felt we were really good bets for a super bowl trophy. the past 2 i've felt if things go just right, we could challenge for it. Have had a lot of good years before that too. we aren't going to win anything just because we're "titletown". We dont' get roster exemptions, extra cap space, or magic wands for injury. We aren't immune to roster turnover, bad breaks and decisions that didn't work and every week they have to line up against other men trying to do the same thing to them.

If you can't appreciate the game for what it is and need the trophy earned by other men to feel validated in your fandome, I contend you're not a fan at all. You don't like the game, let alone appreciate all that it entails.
When I grew up, Vince Lombardi was coaching this team. He set high standards, and he had high expectations for his players. This was not just a lesson for the football field, but for life. If it's worth doing something, then it's worth doing well.

I honestly can't believe there are posters here who think the term Titletown is meaningless. When the Packers won Super Bowl XXXI, Mike Holmgren said that as much as the Lombardi trophy meant to the other teams, it meant more to us. And he was right - not that the other teams didn't want to win the championship, but the trophy was named for our coach and what he did. That adds an extra layer that is unique to the Packers.

This team has a championship history that is unequaled by any other team. Any good member of the Packer organization is aware of that history and wants to live up to it. Yes, as a fan, there's nothing I can do directly to effect the outcome, that's true of any sport. But I stuck with this team through the 70s and 80s, and I stayed a fan and enjoyed the games. So if you want to say I'm "not a fan at all", just because I want the team to be at the pinnacle of the sport, and be true to its history, I disagree.

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spoiled? Well a fan base that calls its home “title town” can certainly probably say over the span of the franchises existence which is impossible to say you have enjoyed, maybe so.

Since A rod and I’ve been a Packer fan hell no!? The most talented QB in the history of the NFL that’s only appeared in one super bowl approaching the back end of his career?..... I feel as though we have wasted the greatest opportunity you may never get again in Rodgers.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is by far the most important player, obviously, but callnig him the only player is total nonsense. You have to know better than that. Football is the ultimate team sport and the quarterback is one of 11 players on any given offensive play.
It must be nice to sleep that deeply through a whole football season.

Rodgers is the one and only best player we got right now and it should not be that way.

Reaction score
Minor Setback

We’re not turning back ‘round just yet.. we’re just reevaluating the stakes of what it takes to get to the top and learning to appreciate more of what that climb is all about

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your right! It ranks right up there with "Not tonight dear" after you've done the baby-sitter, dinner, flowers, show, ******, routine.
If you've already done the babysitter, why do any of the rest?