Henderson NOT coming back!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Packer Report.com -----

Kicker, fullback likely to move on

Date: Mar 8, 2006

As the start of free agency nears, at least two of Green Bay's mainstays over the years appear headed for different teams. Neither kicker Ryan Longwell nor William Henderson have been able to strike deals with the Packers and probably won't be back in 2006.

Longwell's agent, Frank Bauer, said at the recent scouting combine that the veteran kicker is poised to explore his options in free agency after the Packers failed to make a play for re-signing their all-time leading scorer by the end of last season.
"In approaching Ryan at the end, whereas this thing should have been done a while back, hurts," Bauer said. "Clubs that identify the key player, they're going to try to get (an extension) done in October and not let him leave the building.

"Once the players leave the facility (at season's end), then it changes a little bit. It's like an old girlfriend -- out of sight, out of mind -- and now, you've got a problem. Timing is everything, and the timing on this one got screwed up."

Longwell, who turns 33 on Friday, is believed to be seeking a deal that will reward him with as much as, if not more than the $1.5 million average salary of his recent five-year pact with the Packers. He'll be in competition, though, with New England's Adam Vinatieri and Indianapolis' Mike Vanderjagt in commanding a lucrative deal.

Henderson, who turned 35 on Feb. 19, also is reportedly unhappy with the Packers' negotiating ploys because they're not willing to accord him more than a one-year deal.

Henderson said at end of last season that he felt he had three more solid years in him and wants a long-term deal to return to the team.

"We've talked, but we haven't gotten anywhere. We've made up our minds to test the market," agent James Williams said.

=========================

This sucks - I always figured to see Willie and Favre walk away together.
It just won't be the same - who's gonna open holes for Ahman this year?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Henderson, who turned 35 on Feb. 19, also is reportedly unhappy with the Packers' negotiating ploys because they're not willing to accord him more than a one-year deal.

Henderson said at end of last season that he felt he had three more solid years in him and wants a long-term deal to return to the team.

"We've talked, but we haven't gotten anywhere. We've made up our minds to test the market," agent James Williams said.[/size]

Thats a shame. I agree with GBs decision to try and get a 1-year deal(ive said this from the get-go) but I still think he could come back. I want my boy Willie to come back and hurdle people.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free agency doesn't officially start now until midnight Saturday, hopefully this is just a case of an agent trying to put pressure on a GM, meet in the middle by Saturday. Get a 2 year deal done. We now have apprx. 30 mil to spend, surely GM and Agent can compromise at a price that won't hurt either side.

As for Longwell.......Hello Josh Huston!!!!!

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
IPBprez said:

"We've talked, but we haven't gotten anywhere. We've made up our minds to test the market," agent James Williams said.[/size]

Thats a shame. I agree with GBs decision to try and get a 1-year deal(ive said this from the get-go) but I still think he could come back. I want my boy Willie to come back and hurdle people.

Ok but tell me what would be the differance of 1.5/year for three years or one

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not signing Henderson, I believe, is a mistake. I thought they said they were looking for Packer people. I can not think of a better "Packer" than him. Why not just backload a three year deal with some guaranteed money and he's good to go?

The Packers have been through too many future fullback prospects at this position to afford this. I'm scratching my head on this one.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I want Henderson back too, but the Packers are doing the right thing. Hendo should be agreeable to go year to year at this point of his career. The Packers have been very good to him for over a decade, what does it mean....what is it worth.....for Big Will to retire with the team that drafted him?

He should be able to give a little on this one, IMHO.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Yeah, I want Henderson back too, but the Packers are doing the right thing. Hendo should be agreeable to go year to year at this point of his career. The Packers have been very good to him for over a decade, what does it mean....what is it worth.....for Big Will to retire with the team that drafted him?

He should be able to give a little on this one, IMHO.

Why.....if others are willing to give him a longer term contract (which his agent seems to think) and more security. This will be his last contract. He should make what he could. "The Packers have been very good to him for over a decade"? First of all I don't necessarily agree. I think Henderson has always been underappreciated. Secondly why should he consider the past when negotiating this deal? Everyone says that TT shouldn't sign people based on the past but on the future. Why shouldn't the players do the same?

I have to agree with packfaninbucland. Don't throw cute little sayins around like "we want Packer People", unless you mean it.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What the hell are "Packer People"..???

Can someone "define" that for me?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

People with G's on their helmets :roll:

It's just one of those cute catch phrases that guys without a track record have to throw around.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess my point is, there is not exactly a hot market for FBs as many teams do not even have them on the roster. Plus, Henderson is 35 years old....old for most players, especially old for guys whose primary task is slamming into LB and linemen. So, all things being relatively equal money-wise, I see no reason why the guy would be reluctant to sign on year-to-year.

Kinda reading the tea leaves, if you will. He is not going to do much if any better than what he could do in GB....unless of course some money drunk franchise just goes crazy. Too often, players overvalue themselves and this may be the case. Let him test the waters and revisit when things arise.

That's all DePack.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear ya digs. I'm just wondering if his agent got word that another team will offer him a better deal. I know GM's wouldn't DARE discuss this before free agency. :wink: :wink:

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No team is going to give him a 3 year deal. Let him find that out and hopefully he will come to his senses and be wearing the G&G next year.

It would be unfortunate to see him go but this is exactly the type of situation TT cannot and should not get caught up in because Henderson "thinks" he can play three more years.

I don't "think" there are many 38 year old FB's in the NFL and that's a fact not speculation. "Thinking" no one will sign him for 3 years is speculation but because of the facts stated above it would be more than mildly surprising to see any team entertain it.

Teams know there are backup FB's out there that will be more affective than Henderson in another year or two. Age man. It sucks but it's reality.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like an agent ploy plus teams have been handicapped by not having the CBA done until now and not wanting to make many commitments. I love Henderson but not giving a 35 year old fullback a three year deal is a good decision. I just hope we find a place in the organization when he does quit.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Henderson and hope he comes back. I don't think he will get a better offer from a different team. He's too old for another team to lock up big bucks for him.

Beab66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Henderson tested the free agent market during the prime of his career and got no takers. I can't belive he is going to get any better results this time around. I hope he stays, but I think his only other choice is to sign elsewhere for less, out of spite.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with most posters on this one. I love the guy and hope he stays put. But given his age, he can test the market but GB knows that they can match any offers thus getting a better deal. If Hendersons ego could handle it, he'll be back. I'm not saying he's egotistical, just prideful. I'm sure he wouldn't want to learn a complete new system, new terminology just to be spiteful.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Henderson too (who doesn't?), but I don't see how a 35-year-old fullback can expect any more than a one-year deal. Maybe Henderson is just thinking along the lines of Brett Favre: that the team may not be a serious contender in 2006, so why would a player who may be in his last year want to stay there? The difference is that Favre is under contract with the Packers and Henderson is not, so Henderson is free to go.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They better bring Willie back. He is a great FB and has proved he still has what it takes. I think they can go with a 2 year deal. If not I think the Pack should take a chance and draft Matt Bernstien out of WI. Guy can block like a champ.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like everyone in this thread -- I appreciate most everything about William Henderson. Some of you may remember a Sir William thread I did honoring his heart and contributions to the team.

Reality is, if William Henderson is not a Packer it is NOTall on the front office -- it takes two to tango. William Henderson is not being shunned by the Packers, they have had talks with him and his agent. The reality is that William Henderson wants a multi-year contract well above the league minimum and with guaranteed money. The Packers are willing to pay him but insist on a short term contract and a pay structure that is more in line with a rotating FB -- which if you slot the positions when calculating CAP space is traditionally not a position teams allot a great deal of money.

I hope William and GB work it out, but both sides will be culpable if they don't. If Henderson decides to sign elsewhere I will still admire his work ethic and passion he brings to the game. I will also cheer for him each game -- unless of course the outcome is somehow in conflict with the best interests of the Packers.

Sir William is a special player.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Whose quiet leadership may be taken for granted by some fans, but never by the guy standing beside him...

... and never by those who are running behind him

He is a load to bring down

On those rare occasions when he carries the ball...

... and has soft hands...

...that belie the steel hard body that knows no quit.

He is as sure a tackler...

?

... as he is a blocker.

He will go high...

Or low...

? to do whatever it takes!

Always willing to lend a hand...

he will give a push if you need it.

William, you may have just gone to just 1 Pro Bowl

But believe me, we know it should have been your 7th.

Some say that Ray is dancing here...

... others claim it Lewis still trying to shake the cobwebs you gave him with all of those pancake blocks you put on him on the beautiful October Sunday in 2001.

I do know that at the Pro Bowl he (Ray Lewis) referred to you as Sir, as should all who have been graced by watching you play football the way it was meant to be played.

Thank you, Sir William

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

tough,gritty, and classy players. players who do their job, and care about winning games more than getting 6 million instead of 5.7 million. People who are team oriented and not selfish.

the term is pretty obvious. TT and MM dont want the T.O.s(like you do, which im not EVEN gonna rip on you for, cuz its too easy) and the Terry Glenns out there.

Do I have to explain what the sun is to you?

The sun is a star that is the basis of the solar system and that sustains life on Earth, being the source of heat and light. It has a mean distance from Earth of about 150 million kilometers (93 million miles) a diameter of approximately 1,390,000 kilometers (864,000 miles) and a mass about 330,000 times that of Earth.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here comes the sun...da, da, da, dah, here comes the sun, and I say...it's alright................

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh..I get it...TT-romadz...

"Packer People"...those are the guys who play for the professional football team in Green Bay WITHOUT ANY TALENT...

yeah..thanks for your explanation...

D***A**

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand...

Four executives in personnel, including two from AFC and two from NFC teams, were asked about William Henderson, FB What follows is their responses:

"I know they love him there. He's probably more valuable to them than somebody else. I don't know why in the hell you'd sign him. Fullback has kind of become a non-position in the league." . . .

"I've always liked William. I know the age is a little bit of a concern. He's winding down. But he'd be a good signing." . . .

"There will be a market for a guy like that. But there's not many other teams using that position now. He's in great shape. He probably can play three more years. He's close to the best fullback out there." . . .

"He fits that offense. He's not going to be your blow-up lead blocker but you can get by with him doing it. Maybe he's more a system-type player than a true hammer. He can catch the football out of the backfield and play on special teams. Those are important roles as well."

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66, your responses are great. Because you have nothing to say at all, you just say "*******" and thats it, cuz you get verbally destroyed all the time by everyone on this forum who realizes you are the stupidest person alive.

Kill yourself

send me your kids

I will take care of them