Harrell overweight again

newman79

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read a similar article on Harrell at the JS Online. Apparently, he's now 320 with 305 pounds being the goal. Said he's had "too much bbq." Seems like he could lose that with camp, but maybe he'll add even more on his upcoming trip to Jamaica.

According to Harrell and MM, the main goal is for him just to stay healthy for a whole season. Sounds like a good goal.

The best thing I saw in the articles was the fact that at least Harrell himself realizes that he hasn't done much, yet, in his time in Green Bay, and acknowledges that this upcoming season is a critical one for him.

For Harrell, it seems like a matter of "stay tuned." One of the articles (or somewhere) had him "penciled in as a started at DE." No doubt, TC will be big for him, as it is for so many.

OP
OP
wizard 87

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Come on, tell us you really feel about McCarthy! :dull:

I don't have anything against MM ..it was going towards Harrell Peggy. Whom I think is a bust. I just like the saying ! :Bananas2:

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Buddies,

All of us are fans and we all have to hope for the best for Justin Harrell. I personally think that this will be a breakout year for him. With everyone setting their expectations so low (just stay healthy) I believe he'll be a major surprise for GB.

One of the most important factors is that he'll be lining up at the T/DE position which though very demanding should play more to his strength. He should be on the weak side of the line without the TE and lining up directly over the Tackle instead of inside over the Guard. He will be responsible for two gapping or standing his ground and reading the gaps to the right and left. I believe he'll see less double teams over the tackle position minus the TE. This might help him.

I am really pulling for him to show up as I'm sure the most pessimistic Packer fan is and we all know what type of impact an infusion of 2 first round talents would mean to our Defensive Line. Remember Gilbert Brown had a weight problem also, but what an impact he made from game to game against the run.

When it comes down to it No one will have to ask "Where's the Beef", It will be in our Defensive Line.

Maybe the Packers D-Line (987 lbs) can have a new slogan - " The Mean Green Half-Ton Machine". Any suggestions!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me he just seems too much depressed to be a player. He has talent. He showed that at Tennessee. But he had questions about durability, which showed correct. And it seems that he's too much depressed to really work on being in shape to avoid those. Let's hope I'm wrong!

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was nearing the 305...went back home and...voilá! 320! What that tells you about a player work ethic? Hope he doesn't get any injury during the tough task of eating pork chops.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Hated the pick on draft day, still hate it. TT has been fantastic with his drafts, but this is the one pick i'm sure he'd like to have back.

A few players that were drafted after Harrell in the first round that i'd have rather seen us take: Aaron Ross, Brandon Meriweather, Michael Griffin, Greg Olsen, Anthony Gonzalez. Hell, Brady Quinn would've been a better pick at the time, when we weren't sure if A-Rod was going to be any good. By now, Quinn or Rodgers would've been nice trade bait.

I'm all for giving up and cutting him. I've seen nothing out of him that suggests to me that he can play effectively in the NFL.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was nearing the 305...went back home and...voilá! 320! What that tells you about a player work ethic? Hope he doesn't get any injury during the tough task of eating pork chops.

I don't think being 15 lbs. over at this point is such a big deal. As I recall, they listed Harrell at 310 or so the past two years anyway. Showing up out of shape for the ota's last year resulted in the back injury lifting weights that dogged him all last season.
The weight can be shaved off but the key is for him not to let his conditioning work or lack thereof result in another injury. If Harrell can't show up for work this year, the Packers should just cut their losses and cut him.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a fan of Harrell at Tennessee, and I thought he could of been a nice 2nd or 3rd round pick. I was shocked (also not very happy) about taking in at 16th overall. Still hoping for the best, but it doesn't look good right now.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year he got one of the most stupid injuries ever.

Pat Lee is fine this year, right?

I have to wonder if the Harrell workout injury was a big factor in McCarthy firing strength & conditioning coach Rock Gullickson. All MM has ever said was he didn't like "the atmosphere" in the weight room.
Did Gullickson push Harrell or disregard the medical staff or fail to supervise Harrell's lift appropritely?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to wonder if the Harrell workout injury was a big factor in McCarthy firing strength & conditioning coach Rock Gullickson. All MM has ever said was he didn't like "the atmosphere" in the weight room.
Did Gullickson push Harrell or disregard the medical staff or fail to supervise Harrell's lift appropritely?
It was a factor, yeah. But I think it was more about players being like G.I. Joes. Just look at A.J. Hawk. He's a monster, but couldn't cover the TE and the RB because of his lack of agility...

Members online

Latest posts