Gregory or Ray?

H

HardRightEdge

No on Ray; turf toe + pot concerns me, and I'm inclined to think the turf toe might be the bigger issue.

Maybe for Gregory. That's up to Thompson. If he thinks Gregory is being honest and committed to avoiding suspension, absolutely. I don't think anybody on this board has had a chance to interview Gregory. ;)

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Gregory think he can line up opposite Matthews and move either Neal or Perry inside I'm all for it. Another possibility is if he could move inside himself. If not, let him go and get Stephone Anthony at 30.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don´t think Thompson would draft Ray if he drops cause he didn´t have a chance to interview him about his arrest. According to several reports the Packers had Gregory in for a pre-draft visit and if they feel good about him being able to stay away from troubles I would be excited to get him at #30.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you buy pot in Green Bay? That's a serious question to lol. If you can id pass on both of them. If a guy is ignorant enough to get busted with pot a week before the draft i say no way ... If the other guy has been a multiple offender and gets busted during combine week pass on him to. There are high character guys just as good id rather have and depend on.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hang on tight Rodell........I'm agreeing with you! Too many other needs for that pick and I don't like either of these players for the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Can you buy pot in Green Bay? That's a serious question to lol. If you can id pass on both of them. If a guy is ignorant enough to get busted with pot a week before the draft i say no way ... If the other guy has been a multiple offender and gets busted during combine week pass on him to. There are high character guys just as good id rather have and depend on.

Hang on tight Rodell........I'm agreeing with you! Too many other needs for that pick and I don't like either of these players for the Packers.

From a pure talent standpoint both Gregory and Ray are way more talented than anybody else that will be available at #30.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me the concern about Gregory, or anyone who fails a drug test at the combine, is failing it knowing a drug test is coming up.

That tells me one of two things: 1) Either he is really stupid or 2) He's mentally addicted to the stuff.

To fail a drug test you KNOW is happening is incredible to me. It's like an average person deciding to get high right before a huge job interview.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather have Gregory than Ray because Gregory is only a pothead. Ray is a pothead, possible dealer, AND has an injury that will sideline him for about half of his rookie season.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Hang on, let me check my woodplot. Yep starting to come along nicely. Stuff grows great in this area. from: https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/ncnu02/v5-284.html
From the end of the Civil War until 1912, virtually all hemp in the US was produced in Kentucky. During World War I, some hemp cultivation occurred in several states, including Kentucky, Wisconsin, California, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Kansas, and Iowa (Ehrensing 1998). The second world war led to a brief revival of hemp cultivation in the Midwest, as well as in Canada

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
From a pure talent standpoint both Gregory and Ray are way more talented than anybody else that will be available at #30.

I agree with you Captain, one or both of them may be the best talent on the board at #30.......but.......sometimes Character and Position of need is going to trump potential talent. So all I was saying...... given both have questions about their character and with our current needs.....it would surprise me to see TT pull the trigger on either guy. Might be a great time to trade back though, with someone who wants one of them.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you Captain, one or both of them may be the best talent on the board at #30.......but.......sometimes Character and Position of need is going to trump potential talent. So all I was saying...... given both have questions about their character and with our current needs.....it would surprise me to see TT pull the trigger on either guy. Might be a great time to trade back though, with someone who wants one of them.

TT has said himself value is more important than need. Need should never trump a big gap in talent. If Gregory was by far the best guy there (and had no issues) he'd be the pick.

The characters concerns are obviously an issue though.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Gregory would be worth the risk at #30 if the Packers feel he can stay clean. In fact I will
Be doing cartwheels if we pick him.

A few years ago Justin Houston fell to the 3rd round due to a positive drug test and he turned out
To be a steal for the Chiefs.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Gregory would be worth the risk at #30 if the Packers feel he can stay clean. In fact I will
Be doing cartwheels if we pick him.

A few years ago Justin Houston fell to the 3rd round due to a positive drug test and he turned out
To be a steal for the Chiefs.

I'm not that high on Gregory ... He can't defend the run and he's to thin to play on the line.

H

HardRightEdge

There are high character guys just as good id rather have and depend on.
Actually, on talent alone, there won't be any high character guys with the potential of Ray and Gregory at #30, assuming either lasts that long. That's what makes it a horse race.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has said himself value is more important than need. Need should never trump a big gap in talent. If Gregory was by far the best guy there (and had no issues) he'd be the pick.

The characters concerns are obviously an issue though.

Isn't the point that he does have issues? If he didn't, there'd be no point in discussing whether or not TT would pick him at #30, because he wouldn't possibly be available then.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't the point that he does have issues? If he didn't, there'd be no point in discussing whether or not TT would pick him at #30, because he wouldn't possibly be available then.

Yes, but I was just addressing the statement that sometimes need trumps talent since it shouldn't when there is a big difference in talent.

Last edited:

Uncle Rico

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bigger issue to me on Gregory is that he was fully aware of the drug test. This wasn't a "Surprise, pee in the cup!" kind of situation.

I think if the honest numbers of players that use marijuana ever came out, we would be shocked. Let's not kid ourselves and think that smoking pot is uncommon in the NFL. I would guess every team in the league deals has several guys that are habitual drug users, including the Packers. The key here is, if the player is smart enough to stay out of trouble with the stuff. Big question mark for me on Gregory.

Flip side - he is IMO the best true pass rusher in this years draft, and I would really enjoy seeing him rushing opposite Clay.

H

HardRightEdge

The bigger issue to me on Gregory is that he was fully aware of the drug test. This wasn't a "Surprise, pee in the cup!" kind of situation.

I think if the honest numbers of players that use marijuana ever came out, we would be shocked. Let's not kid ourselves and think that smoking pot is uncommon in the NFL. I would guess every team in the league deals has several guys that are habitual drug users, including the Packers. The key here is, if the player is smart enough to stay out of trouble with the stuff. Big question mark for me on Gregory.

Flip side - he is IMO the best true pass rusher in this years draft, and I would really enjoy seeing him rushing opposite Clay.
Gregory claims he was off pot as of December. He also admits there was a time he'd wake up to a joint, but not anymore.

Now, anybody can google the subject and find multiple references that say THC can remain in the system for 90 days for a heavy user. Simple math says he was not off it long enough or he's lying about when he quit or that he quit.

Thompson talked to him and presumably his agent to get a handle on the situation; I'd guess nobody here has done so. We'll find out tomorrow.

One scout says he has "anxiety" issues. Looking at the clips, I'd say the only anxiousness displayed is his being anxious to get the QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Yes, but I was just addressing the statement that sometimes need trumps talent since it shouldn't when there is a big difference in talent.
Here's the thing...there isn't often a big difference in talent at any one pick assuming one expands the focus to all of the needs, not just the primary one.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's arguably the best pure pass rusher in this draft.

Can't defend the run ...I'm not that impressed. He gets swallowed up. Ray is way more complete and I wouldn't take him either.

TT needs to not be a chicken and trade up and find another ilb that's more pressing than having a rush end who's basically a situational player... How's that working for Dhaytone Jones??? Yea exactly..peppers and Matthews should be just fine rushing the passer.

H

HardRightEdge

Can't defend the run ...I'm not that impressed. He gets swallowed up. Ray is way more complete and I wouldn't take him either.

TT needs to not be a chicken and trade up and find another ilb that's more pressing than having a rush end who's basically a situational player... How's that working for Dhaytone Jones??? Yea exactly..peppers and Matthews should be just fine rushing the passer.
"Can't defend the run"? You better go back and check the tape, and not just the height and weight. Situational player year 1; full time player year 2. Many elite edge rushers have done just that. Take Aldon Smith, for example. Please feel free to predict when Peppers will hit the wall.

McCarthy has already stated on a couple of occasions he plans to use Matthews in the middle again this season. I don't think many are aware that was primarily in nickel last season. That alignment puts "edge rusher" squarely in the needs list. Perry and Neal are merely serviceable; both might be gone along with Peppers by 2016.

Datone Jones is a situational player because, quite frankly, he's not all that talented or not sufficiently aggressive, take your pick. I though Thompson reached for length (pun intended) with Jones, nor was I keen on the Perry pick.

Why would Thompson need to trade up for an ILB? Since this is a rather peculiar opinion, since it should not be necessary step, you must have a specific name in mind.