Green Bay Packers Flashback-I know most of you don't remember this team

garyhogeboomsghost

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

^^but I do. They are one of my favorite Packer teams of all-time. Like I said, I know that I am probably the only guy old enough to actually have seen this team play on here, so I figured some of the younger Packer fans might enjoy the video. It will help them bone up on their team's history before they were born. Head Coach Infante, the Majik man at QB, a super young Sterling Sharpe, Chuck Cecil takin' off heads in the secondary....these guys were a fun team to watch!

OP
OP
garyhogeboomsghost

garyhogeboomsghost

Cheesehead
Reaction score

^^but I do. They are one of my favorite Packer teams of all-time. Like I said, I know that I am probably the only guy old enough to actually have seen this team play on here, so I figured some of the younger Packer fans might enjoy the video. It will help them bone up on their team's history before they were born. Head Coach Infante, the Majik man at QB, a super young Sterling Sharpe, Chuck Cecil takin' off heads in the secondary....these guys were a fun team to watch!

hey thanks for agreeing with my post, LongTimePackersFan. I appreciate it. Glad to see that there is at least one other old-timer on the board who remembers the Majik Man, Chuck Cecil and Coach Infante! :)

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember the “Cardiac Pack”, Later Wolff traded a first for a third string QB in Atlanta. Strong arm, lots of int’s, gunslinger, he was called. Replaced the Majic Man when he got hurt. No one could figure out why. I think the move kind of worked out.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember the “Cardiac Pack”, Later Wolff traded a first for a third string QB in Atlanta. Strong arm, lots of int’s, gunslinger, he was called. Replaced the Majic Man when he got hurt. No one could figure out why. I think the move kind of worked out.

I wonder how long it took Atlanta to realize that they were the team that got fleeeeeeeced in that trade.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talking about the Majik man brings back memories of "After further review, the Bears still suck!" Ditka was so pissed.

OP
OP
garyhogeboomsghost

garyhogeboomsghost

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talking about the Majik man brings back memories of "After further review, the Bears still suck!" Ditka was so pissed.

you remember the *Instant Replay game too, LetzBreel? I figured I was the only one on the board who remembered that game!!! lol

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You really underestimated the age of the posters on this board, didn't you.
Hell many of us remember Bart Starr as QB if not coach.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought this whole thread was funny. I’d bet most of the regular posters on this board think of 1989 as recent Packer history.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't remember the player, but he was the coach of the first playoff game I ever attended.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

There are people here that were at this game:

Of course everyone over 10 that lived in GB at the time says they were there. I saw a stat a few years back that more people say they were there than lived in Green Bay at the time. No wonder nobody got cold, they were sitting 4-5 to a seat.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We just missed out on being able to watch Sterling and Antonio Freeman play together. Imagine that... could have been the best WR duo of all time.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We just missed out on being able to watch Sterling and Antonio Freeman play together. Imagine that... could have been the best WR duo of all time.
No... Freeman was good but not that good. There have been many duos that have been better.... perhaps even on the Packers.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No... Freeman was good but not that good. There have been many duos that have been better.... perhaps even on the Packers.

Maybe but you’d have a hard time convincing me that Sharpe and the 97’/98’ Freeman as a #2 wouldn’t be up there.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

One of my all-time favorite Packers was #53, Fred Carr. I also like #28 Willie Buchanon. Solid defenders on bad teams.

PhilaPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PhilaPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have about 90 Packers games on dvd ranging from 1977- to most recent years. I have games when Bart Starr was the coach, also when David Whitehurst, and Jim Zorn was QB . I don't know how many games I have, but I do remember that the Packers played the Cowboys twice that year. And speaking of 1989, who can forget the incredible bust, Tony Manderich. I will look to see what games I have from the 1989 season, I know I have the 2 games against the Cowboys, and the Falcons game.

Last edited:

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My earliest clear memory was the 1965 NFL championship (the last of the pre-super bowl era) against the defending champion, Jim Brown led Cleveland Browns. My dad was/is a huge Browns fan. The 66 and 67 teams are are more known for the cold games against Dallas but, this one was a mud bowl in rain and sleet in Lambeau. Ironically, the best running back that day was not the two Jims (Brown and Taylor) but, Paul Hornung. However, the real studs on that day were Ray Nitschke and the defense. Here's a little help from Wiki:

"Vince Lombardi proved to be a master tactician by stressing a ball control offense, assigning Nitschke to shadow Brown all day, and switching defensive assignments when Warfield was getting open early in the game. The Packers ran the ball 47 times for 204 yards on the day while holding Cleveland to just 38 total offensive plays. Lombardi coached the team to stop Jim Brown and force Cleveland's other players to step up and try and win the game. The strategy worked as the Packers gained twice as many yards from scrimmage as the Browns."

Future Hall of Famers in that game:
Browns: Jim Brown, Lou Groza, Gene Hickerson, Leroy Kelly, Paul Warfield
Packers: Vince Lombardi (coach), Willie Davis, Forrest Gregg, Paul Hornung, Jim Ringo, Ray Nitschke, Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Willie Wood

That's 14 future HOFers in one game!

Incidentally, does that offensive strategy sound a bit like how the 49ers beat us in the NFC Championship last season?

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So the 89 team was your favorite of all time but your profile indicates you’ve been a Packer fan since 95? That being said, the 89 team was fun to watch, but I also enjoyed the teams from the early to mid 80’s. ****ey, Lofton, Jefferson, Coffman, Gerry Ellis...that team could put some points on the board. Problem was, they couldn’t stop anyone on defense.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have told this story before but since there is nothing else to talk about...…….. I have lived in Utah my entire life (almost 66 years) and in the late 60's we got 2 football games on Sundays. For some reason the early game would always feature an NFC Central team, meaning Green Bay, Detroit, Chicago or Minnesota. Of course Green Bay was on a lot because they were so good. I have to admit that I actually liked the Bears back then too. There were so many great players in that division. In the afternoon game we would get a team from the NFL Coastal division Atlanta, Baltimore Colts, Los Angeles Rams or San Francisco. Here's a list of just the QB's in those 2 divisions. Bart Starr, Greg Landry and Milt Plum(Detroit), Jack Concannon(Chicago), Joe Kapp(Minnesota, probably more famous for his role in The Longest Yard), Randy Johnson(Atlanta), Johnny Unitas(Colts), Roman Gabriel(Rams) and John Brodie(Niners). Add a bunch of future HOF's and you are in football heaven. Ahhh, the good old days.

Members online

Latest posts