Grade the Gute

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You'll know what you've got by week 4 in a "win now" approach with grissly vets. Thanks for the props!

By the way, if you've got time on your hands you could dig back through the years and through those 10,000 posts for my post-draft grades. I'll put those up against anybody's, professional or amatuer, given in the aggregate my grades were lower than anybody elses.

I didn't like the Bennett signing. That's easier to find.

Most recently, I pegged Jamall Williams as the best value-for-pick in last year's draft. B+ I think I gave him. I stand by that given his improved patience running the ball as the season moved along and his 3-tool ability (run, catch, block). There's more upside there.

Congrats!

You also thought Dean Lowry was just a T-Rex who would most likely be our 4th DL at best, and probably be behind RJF and Adams.

Perhaps you're good at RB, but your DL takes are hot trash.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has all the leverage regardless. He is the top CB besides Breeland left on the market and several teams, some with more cap space than us, probably vying for him. The 6-7M I wrote takes into account the space for the draft. Currently we have around 15M if Tramon's contract actually indeed takes up 5M in 2018.

Honestly in terms of winning, right now the Vikings could offer him more money than us and he would fit right in as a slot corner on a team, on paper, who is closer to vying for an NFL Championship.

And I think I read the article wrong on when DRC plans on choosing his team. Looks like he plans to make a choice in April, so that could very well be before the draft takes place.

If he's waiting until April then its possible and probably good business (for him) to sign after the draft. I really don't see any blue chip prospects at the CB position. Signing DRC now ensures more clarity on the eve of the draft, with a clear focus on improving the outside pass rush, strengthening the receiving corps, and fielding a more balanced roster. Also it wouldn't be a surprise if Green Bay extended Aaron Rodgers' contract with some of the available cap space. Green Bay started fast in free agency and has slowed to a crawl this offseason. If a championship window exists, don't mess it up.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall/Kizer swap: C+
I really liked Randall's bounceback year and was kind of surprised to see the trade. However I'd rather would have had him the extra year due to our shaky CB situation right now. Kizer might be a talent so he can actually turn into a bargaining chip. Or Arod's successor, who knows. A hard one to grade, but since the Packers were evidently intend on moving on from Randall, this was the best way to do it while also retrieving picks and talent.

Graham signing and Jordy move: B-
I've downplayed my joy a bit after recent discussions on this forum but Im still confident this move gives Arod something he has always been missing since Finley.They most definitely paid more than a man at this stage of his career should command but thats what happens when he is the most sought commodity at his position this offseason. But I'd rather pay Graham 10M than I pay Jordy 10M at this point. Wish we could have offered Jordy some more money, but unfortunately the money just had to be spent on other positions.

Wilkerson deal: A
Whats left to say. Wish we could have had him for more years at that price.

Kyle Fuller offer: B+
He constructed a deal that would have been affordable for the Pack, yet also big enough for the Bears to take a significant part of their cap space. Im not sure any other team would have offered something similar so in this way the Bears just had to pay Fuller probably more then they had hoped. Considering he is being paid as a top 10 CB but has yet to show any of it, im fine with that.

Tramon Williams: C
Much needed, experienced and familiar CB depth. Just wish he would have cost us somewhat less considering he is 35. Will have to wait out for the rest of the details.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's plugged holes for the most part. graham for bennett, williams for randall. wilkerson is a low risk positive. betting on him doing good coming off a down year. the jordy hole needs plugged yet. i'll give him a C so far. nothing special...yet.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Congrats!

You also thought Dean Lowry was just a T-Rex who would most likely be our 4th DL at best, and probably be behind RJF and Adams.

Perhaps you're good at RB, but your DL takes are hot trash.
Lowry's T-Rex characteristics are a reason why he is not an effective pass rusher. His utility is in base defense where he's decent againt the run. We don't know about Adams yet with a foot injury hobbling him most of the season. Francois? He didn't work out. If you expect perfection you're in the wrong place evaluating the wrong game.

By the way, your personal insults betray a defensiveness and insecurity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have gone with ****** pile, but maybe that's a generational thing?

I kid, I kid, nobody around here is wrong more than me. Well maybe a couple of you are, but i'm not far behind.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best move was the Kizer trade. Worst...the Kyle Fuller offer debacle.

I would say spot-on assessment, except the Tramon Williams signing. I'm giving that move a F. Not only is it a 2 year contract, but at 5 million for a full year. WTH? Could've got the vet for half that price on a one year w/ possible incentives. With limited cap space, every dollar counts.
I had to give this a funny for describing the fuller offer as a "debacle". The Packers lost absolutely nothing by making that offer and your over dramatization of it does nothing but make me smile.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have gone with ****** pile, but maybe that's a generational thing?

I kid, I kid, nobody around here is wrong more than me. Well maybe a couple of you are, but i'm not far behind.

I'm right maybe 25% of the time.

But I have fun with it. So do you. You're a decent fellow for a medical coder.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had to give this a funny for describing the fuller offer as a "debacle". The Packers lost absolutely nothing by making that offer and your over dramatization of it does nothing but make me smile.

We all have a part to play in the forum of life.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I'm the Gute, so that's what you call me. The Gute, or Guter, or el Guterino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

I give him a solid B+ so far. I've been saying that we need to fill out the roster in free agency and then be aggressive and go for quality over quantity in the draft. He's halfway there. Now I want to see him trade up for a top 10 pick and a high second.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget his coaching moves... I like how he mixed up a stale group of playoff perennials. Nothing too drastic. Just some scheme change on defense. Brought back some ex packers. That brings the mojo up for sure.
Williams is a perfect role model for king, Jones, and surely another big, tall, fast, strong ,physical cb drafted high for our new defense scheme.
Yea we lost Jordy... that sucks. But apparently we still have Cobb, Mathews, bulaga for now. That's good. Getting a rt back week 8 isn't all bad . Cobb has a diversity about him. Montgomery does too. Adams is a stud. Graham is going to be unstoppable with #12 throwing him the ball. And if rookie Jones comes back with that 6ypc and that breakout ability at rb.... that's Basicly 4 wrs, and a 6ypc rb back deep. And without changing anybody. We have Monty, Cobb, able to run the ball. And a te on the field... lots of options for creative run plays to catch defenses off guard...
On defense, being able to keep Mathews puts us at three stud Dlinemen. Two stud olbs. That is going to be hard to stop those 5 on a blitz. Meanwhile, we have tackling machine Martinez up front. And a secondary that is becoming a physical force. KKing is going to be an all pro imo. Jones will be a great safety, who can play up and physical. Haha is still a force and I have a feeling he won't be lost in a zone this year... these three, along with Brice have a physicality we aren't used to seeing in capers /Thompson's vision of our secondary. Imo... and it's going to all come together...

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget his coaching moves... I like how he mixed up a stale group of playoff perennials. Nothing too drastic. Just some scheme change on defense. Brought back some ex packers. That brings the mojo up for sure.
Williams is a perfect role model for king, Jones, and surely another big, tall, fast, strong ,physical cb drafted high for our new defense scheme.
Yea we lost Jordy... that sucks. But apparently we still have Cobb, Mathews, bulaga for now. That's good. Getting a rt back week 8 isn't all bad . Cobb has a diversity about him. Montgomery does too. Adams is a stud. Graham is going to be unstoppable with #12 throwing him the ball. And if rookie Jones comes back with that 6ypc and that breakout ability at rb.... that's Basicly 4 wrs, and a 6ypc rb back deep. And without changing anybody. We have Monty, Cobb, able to run the ball. And a te on the field... lots of options for creative run plays to catch defenses off guard...
On defense, being able to keep Mathews puts us at three stud Dlinemen. Two stud olbs. That is going to be hard to stop those 5 on a blitz. Meanwhile, we have tackling machine Martinez up front. And a secondary that is becoming a physical force. KKing is going to be an all pro imo. Jones will be a great safety, who can play up and physical. Haha is still a force and I have a feeling he won't be lost in a zone this year... these three, along with Brice have a physicality we aren't used to seeing in capers /Thompson's vision of our secondary. Imo... and it's going to all come together...
I labeled your post "optimistic".... because it is lol.... but I like it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading they're considering bringing House back. Pull some s**t like that and I'd drop him to a capital, screaming red F.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I considered this to be how I "thought" he was doing on the specific moves mentioned. I don't want House back either.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
So far he is doing an amazing job all things considered. A couple more moves need to be made and of course a good draft that will have us right where we need to be.

Members online

Latest posts