Grade the GM...

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I seen something similar on another board, but we have a couple years under our belts of the TT experience.. What kind of grade would you hand out to Ted a this point in time..

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
B+ from me

We're building a great team that should be solid for years(and with this strategy, it will always be this way) but we don't get an A or higher till we get to the superbowl, baby!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far i think he has done a good job. It's still too early in his time here to make any long term judgements.
But he has more hits then misses in my view.
Even Ron Wolf wasn't right 100% of the time.
One thing is for sure.......in his short time here, he's already WAY ahead of Matt Millen!

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
B+ for now.

Ted has done an amazing job of getting the team into position to contend for the forseable future. And has put the team in a great position with the salary cap.

What is left to be seen is if TT is willing to take the team to the final level. That I think will take a deeper jump into trades of FA. With this year having a big ? with Rodgers starting, I give TT a pass. If this year ends with close to the results of last year. I would hope TT is willing to sign some bigger names. With the cap the way it is that can be done with more current money not future.

With in the next couple years the team is going to get to a point where it will be losing enough players that the draft will no longer improve the team, only replace those leaving because of age or FA.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gave TT a B+.

He has done a very good job. First making a coaching change and giving the new coach - McCarthy, the people that fit the coaches system. The players responded within 2 years and Green Bay now fields a competetive team that most likely will challenge for an NFL Championship in the near term.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gave him an A. We had absolutely no depth, a few horrible starters, and our cap was in bad shape before he showed up. More than a few NFCN rival fans were gloating that Green Bay had finally reached the rebuilding period, and were in for 5+ years of losing football. It was all I heard on football message boards from them.

3 years later. 13-3. NFCC game that could have been won with a few plays (outside of the GM's control). Yeah... so much for rebuilding.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gave him an A. We had absolutely no depth, a few horrible starters, and our cap was in bad shape before he showed up. More than a few NFCN rival fans were gloating that Green Bay had finally reached the rebuilding period, and were in for 5+ years of losing football. It was all I heard on football message boards from them.

3 years later. 13-3. NFCC game that could have been won with a few plays (outside of the GM's control). Yeah... so much for rebuilding.
Good points Mass!
I'll be interested to see how the "post Favre" Packers play. We knew this time was coming, now we will see how TT's building will really do.
If the team keeps playing well, then it shows that TT isn't as dumb as some people think. If they fall WAY down from last season, then the TT "haters" will be back in droves.
They might have some "growing pains" with the new QB, but i don't think we will fall that far from last season. We have a pretty sound offensive weapon with the great WR's and a running game that looks like it could be dy-no-myte!
Now it's on "Mr. Rodgers" shoulders to prove TT was right in handing the reins to him.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A+ ... come on a team that's 4-12 ... in two season = to nfc championship game ... you need a good gm/management to make that leap ... look at teams like lions ... or 49ers it's been 4-5-6 ? years their still rebuilding.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gave him a B+.
I think he has done great so far, but the guys he has picked haven't been around long enough for a long term grade yet.
We will now see how much Favre made this team.
If Rodgers is as good as he has looked in his short stints, we should be OK, and the train should keep on rolling.
TT has, in my view, added alot of very good players on this team. I always said i didn't hate OR love him, i was waiting to see what he did on the job before evaluating him. So far, the man hasn't let me down.
What i do like is the people on here that have come back to say that they misjudged him, and now like what he has done so far. That takes ALOT of class to come back and say you were wrong. :D

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are giving credit to GM and everything ... but I think we should give a bit of credit to MM also ... No easy to keep control of the youngest team in nfl *considering it's actually your first official head coaching job in the nfl and keep them improving week after week and no major let downs or collapse's along the way

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson's best move might of been hiring Mike McCarthy over a lot of other high profile candidates. From what I heard, Sean Payton wanted the Green Bay job over New Orleans.

B or a B+

We're talking about a team that was declining and had one of the worse cap situations in the NFL. I know people are going to say they were in the playoffs and all that but the team got spanked by the 8-8 Minnesota Vikings at Lambeau Field. If that's not evidence enough of a decline then I'm not sure what is.

TT comes in and even though he stated they weren't rebuilding that was a lie because the team clearly was.

Green Bay under this direction went through a phase that good most teams do. They were young and inexperience, then they developed, and now their coming off a 13-3 season with an NFC Championship game appearance.

Not to mention they have one of the best cap situations in the entire NFL.

That's a pretty good job of building through the draft and developing talent from within.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
Raider Pride said:
arrowgargantuan said:
Raider Pride said:
If it is true that:

True success is achieved in the journey, and not reaching the final destination, well..... then.... I give him an A+

*tear*

"Kleenex"

thanks RP. ;)

Kodak momment :pop:
Now here's the part where I'm SUPPOSED to say "Hey guys! GET A ROOM!!!"
(But then i'd have to say "Make sure theres room for me too!") :lol:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll give him a B+, but it could go up to an A- or an A within the next couple years. He needs to get more wins to cancel out that awful 4-12 in his first year as GM. I think he will. Somebody mentioned that Mike McCarthy deserves more credit, but any credit to him also goes to the man who hired him, and that would be TT.

With in the next couple years the team is going to get to a point where it will be losing enough players that the draft will no longer improve the team, only replace those leaving because of age or FA.

I don't agree with this. Every year there are fewer and fewer good free agents out there. Teams are finding ways to hang onto their best players. Hopefully if there is a free agent out there who is a great fit, Ted will get him, but the free agent crop most years now has only a handful of really good players, then some head cases, mid-level players, and worse. Also, any team can be improved through the draft. Even if players don't have an impact as rookies, they should contribute significantly a year or two down the road.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I'll give him a B+, but it could go up to an A- or an A within the next couple years. He needs to get more wins to cancel out that awful 4-12 in his first year as GM. I think he will. Somebody mentioned that Mike McCarthy deserves more credit, but any credit to him also goes to the man who hired him, and that would be TT.

I don't agree with this. Every year there are fewer and fewer good free agents out there. Teams are finding ways to hang onto their best players. Hopefully if there is a free agent out there who is a great fit, Ted will get him, but the free agent crop most years now has only a handful of really good players, then some head cases, mid-level players, and worse. Also, any team can be improved through the draft. Even if players don't have an impact as rookies, they should contribute significantly a year or two down the road.
Thats true........gone are the days where you could pick up a Reggie White type player. Like you said........the ones out there now are usually head cases. (See: T.O. and Randy Moss) Yes, those guys are talented, but are they worth throwing your whole team into chaos?
If a GM is consistant in picking up good players in the draft, then when you loose some to age or FA, you can plug in the new guys to fill the spots. Plus, if you get guys with good heads on their shoulders, they will stay with the team, like Driver did. When you get head cases like Javon Walker, who think THEY are all that matters, they run off to "greener pastures". Look how thats turned out for him so far.
Thats why i'm not upset (as some are) that we picked up Jordy Nelson. Yes, we have many talented WR's, but Driver is getting up in years, and like Favre, sooner or later will have to be replaced. Hopefully not for several more years. But in the mean time, Nelson will be groomed to fit any future need. And from what i have seen of him, he may step in earlier then when he is a real "need". He looks pretty darn talented.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gave him a B+. The transition from a 4-12 team to a 13-3 team is evidence the man knows how to build a team. I'll give him an A when I'm wearing my Super Bowl Champions shirt.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

That first year he inherited what he had which wasn't much and went from there. So I look at the progress AFTER he had a chance to affect change.
In fact, the record that first year to last year, reconfirms that the decisions he was making back then were the right ones.

When he got here he was getting his butt kicked for every move he made from who he kept to who he let go, to who he did or didn't go after, to his draft choices. They hired him because the personnel on this team was heading south fast and we weren't very good. To think he was going to turn that all around in six months and one draft is a little tough isn't it Greg?

Besides that everybody and their brother got hurt that year and we were starting third, fourth, and fifth string players on a team lacking first team guys that could play. I put about 2% of that first year on TT and anyone that doesn't give this guy an "A" is really underestimating how hard that job is and what he has done here.

Eighteen out of twenty two with the youngest team in football just doesn't happen and his winning GM of the Year recognizes how remarkable it is.

TT did not sell his soul or sell out the GB Packers to win football games. He went out and found football players and manipulated the Cap extremely well and we have very few issues to deal with personnel wise with our key players for YEARS to come. This 45 will be the DEEPEST group talent wise since we won the SB.

What does it take to get an "A" around here? GEESH.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
The knock that I have on TT up to this point, and really the only knock is that going into year 4 we still haven't got an interior line that can line up consistently and prove that they are NFL caliber players week in and out.

At a further look, we really don't have any solid depth at Tackle either.. past the two inherited tackles.. am I greedy, probably, but it still remains a sore spot going into year 4.

Is it the system, coaching or players.. one cannot be sure of, but it is still a area of question.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Incomplete. I won't grade TT until one full year without Favre.

I'm under the impression though that he'll get a high grade from me after the '08 season. The team is solid. No obvious holes.

Members online

Latest posts