Good News!

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It looks like this is going to be a really good year for nose tackles. I could see us grabbing an ILB and NT like Eddie Goldman, Danny Shelton, or Malcom Brown in the first few rounds. Then we would easily fix the middle of this defense and get Clay back outside.

I like the way this draft class is setting up!

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I like Letroy Guion and what he is doing. I hope we sign him long term in the off season. He has been a godsend for our D.

H

HardRightEdge

Guion is just a guy, which is kind of a pun. He's a better pass rusher than a run stuffer like everybody else in the front 7 with the possible exceptions of Daniels (and Hawk who's undistinguished at both).

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guion is just a guy, which is kind of a pun. He's a better pass rusher than a run stuffer like everybody else in the front 7 with the possible exceptions of Daniels (and Hawk who's undistinguished at both).

Absolutely agree. I'd like to keep him around for depth, but why not get a game changer like Ngata used to be?

Reaction score
Personally. Id concentrate on a dynamic ILB with one of our 1st 2 picks. Then we can go after a DT if presents itself. Another option is We also could sign Raji or both him and Guion for a year or two if he's healthy and the price is right

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally. Id concentrate on a dynamic ILB with one of our 1st 2 picks. Then we can go after a DT if presents itself. Another option is We also could sign Raji or both him and Guion for a year or two if he's healthy and the price is right

You know what, I'm starting to agree. Really want Benadrick McKinney in the first round this year. A lot of big guys coming out that won't go until later.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are several options at ILB and we'll have to wait for the Combine to see which ones stand out--Bernardrick McKinney, Eric Kendricks, Denzel Perryman. I'm sure at least 1 will be available when the Packers pick in the 1st. I'm not sure any will be there when the Packers are on the board in the 2nd and that's the dilemma--do the Packers pick for need in this case?

If there's a really great prospect at DL, TE or OT sitting there waiting to be taken, I'd say no. It is a deep draft for OTs this year, and relying on Bulaga for the future sort of scares me. But ILB is a much greater need.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are several options at ILB and we'll have to wait for the Combine to see which ones stand out--Bernardrick McKinney, Eric Kendricks, Denzel Perryman. I'm sure at least 1 will be available when the Packers pick in the 1st. I'm not sure any will be there when the Packers are on the board in the 2nd and that's the dilemma--do the Packers pick for need in this case?

If there's a really great prospect at DL, TE or OT sitting there waiting to be taken, I'd say no. It is a deep draft for OTs this year, and relying on Bulaga for the future sort of scares me. But ILB is a much greater need.

you always take need into consideration when drafting.. that may not be an immediate need but one 2 seasons down the road.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. ILB/OLB
2. OT/DT/WR
3. WR/DB/OT/DT
4. WR/DB/OT/DT
5. OT/DB/DT
6. RB/TE/OLB/OT
7/ RB/TE/OLB/OT
imo

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
1. ILB/OLB
2. OT/DT/WR
3. WR/DB/OT/DT
4. WR/DB/OT/DT
5. OT/DB/DT
6. RB/TE/OLB/OT
7/ RB/TE/OLB/OT
imo
Outside LB? That's a surprise. Let's just hope Thompson finds someone at the #32 worthy of that spot! Regarding an ILB I've thought that was a priority need in the past two or three drafts but how likely is a rookie ILB to contribute right away if Capers is still DC (and if they pick at #32 he's likely to be)? IOW, if an ILB is taken in the first couple of rounds, he better be exceptionally smart.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Outside LB? That's a surprise. Let's just hope Thompson finds someone at the #32 worthy of that spot! Regarding an ILB I've thought that was a priority need in the past two or three drafts but how likely is a rookie ILB to contribute right away if Capers is still DC (and if they pick at #32 he's likely to be)? IOW, if an ILB is taken in the first couple of rounds, he better be exceptionally smart.

I consider OLB an option (albeit an unlikely one to come about) primarily because I love Shaq Thompson and think he would transition well to the inside. I'm a little wary of moving players from their native positions, but we all know Ted is not. And really, Shaq can play like 5 or 6 positions, so calling one his native position is maybe pointless. He's not likely to be available that late, but if he is... hooooo daddy, look out.

D

Deleted member 6794

If the Packers re-sign Bulaga I don´t see the need to pick an OT in the first round. There aren´t any TEs worth picking in the first round in the 2015 draft so I expect Thompson to either draft an ILB or a DL.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I consider OLB an option (albeit an unlikely one to come about) primarily because I love Shaq Thompson and think he would transition well to the inside. I'm a little wary of moving players from their native positions, but we all know Ted is not. And really, Shaq can play like 5 or 6 positions, so calling one his native position is maybe pointless. He's not likely to be available that late, but if he is... hooooo daddy, look out.

I think Ted is starting to see that dedication and consistency at key positions is important. Especially after we drafted Linsley. I agree that we need a smart player at ILB. I haven't looked into how the scouts have this year's group ranked as far as football intellect, but I also don't know how they had Mosley ranked. He sure did come in and make an immediate impact for the Steelers though.

If the Packers re-sign Bulaga I don´t see the need to pick an OT in the first round. There aren´t any TEs worth picking in the first round in the 2015 draft so I expect Thompson to either draft an ILB or a DL.

I was going to say, there's almost no one being hyped at the tight end position. I know it's not all about hype, but this doesn't look like a strong tight end class.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Devin Funchess? He seems to be predicted to be switched to TE in the pros

D

Deleted member 6794

Devin Funchess? He seems to be predicted to be switched to TE in the pros

Funchess is listed at 6-5, 230. He would have to add quite some weight to play TE in the NFL. Not sure how that would influence his athletic ability.

searmh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
walterfootball has us taking a CB in the drafts 1st round. surprised this has not been considered especially as we have tramon's contract expiring this year as well as house and bush

D

Deleted member 6794

walterfootball has us taking a CB in the drafts 1st round. surprised this has not been considered especially as we have tramon's contract expiring this year as well as house and bush

We´ll see what happens between now and the draft but it´s possible CB will be a position of need. Still disappointed we lost Jumal Rolle to the Texans.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not considered by whom?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Shields, Hayward, Hyde, and House - the SHHH! brothers "Shutting up loud mouth WRs" - will be a formidable group without any additions.

We could always use depth there, but there are a few position groups LB and NT especially, that could use some immediate depth.

D

Deleted member 6794

Shields, Hayward, Hyde, and House - the SHHH! brothers "Shutting up loud mouth WRs" - will be a formidable group without any additions.

We could always use depth there, but there are a few position groups LB and NT especially, that could use some immediate depth.

House will be a free agent after this season though.