Gonna be a tough game

THE Packer FAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am really scared about this game. We have a great QB but he has only started two games again weak opponents. Will he even last the entire game without getting hurt? I mean the Dallas defense is much much better than those we faced before.

The Eagles and the Browns had slightly better offenses than ours and they both got beaten by the Cowboys.

The one thing we have going for us is that they've never won here. Will that be enough? I'm praying Rodgers does not go down this game. Is there anything we can do to have a chance at winning against a much stronger team?

casvdry

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides playing fundamentally sound football, reduce penalties and avoid turnovers completely.

Seems we shoot ourselves in the foot each game with penalties and if you could win the TO battle as well as have the 12th man step it up all game long, then I'd say you have a shot.

MoxRox

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Dallas comes out and jumps to an early lead...and they're more than capable of going up 21-0 early, it's going to get ugly. We can force the Packers to abandon the run game and take to the air...and our corners are better than what Rodgers has faced thus far, especially with Newman back. The more time Rodgers has to find an open receiver, the more time Ware and Ellis have to get at him.

Rodgers isn't McNabb...I don't see him breaking out of those tackles.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, we can start with the old premise that the Cowboys put their pants on one leg at a time and aren't 10 feet tall. They're a talented football team but so are the Packers.
Dallas is just built differently. Jerry Jones has been trying to buy a championship ever since he let the dynasty Jimmy Johnson built for him slip away. So he purchases mercenaries like T.O. PacMan, Tank Williams. And they haven't won a playoff game in 12 years.
The Packers, of course, build by the draft. They're a younger team but have already accomplished much. They may not have as many well known names but they're solid football players.
The Packers will get the Cowboys at home for a change, where they've almost always won. Dallas comes in on a short week following their emotional effort Mon. night against Philly. That's where the Cowboys shot their bolt.
The Packers started too tight in last year's game between 10-1 teams down there. They'll be a much more confident and poised team from the start this time.
Whenever Brett Favre went to Dallas he went wild, especially early. Aaron Rodgers won't be that way, as he showed coming in to rally the team in last year's game. He'll be more patient, take what the defense gives and seize opportunity for a big play when it presents instead of trying to force one that isn't there.
Last year the Packers played that game in D without Ryan Pickett, Johnny Jolly and Charles Woodson in the defensive lineup. Hey Dallas, they're all back for this one.
I haven't checked in to the difference between Dallas playing on artificial turf and natural grass but they're still a speed team designed for the rug they play on at home.
A year ago at this point the Packers were 2-0 and coming home to face an awesome Chargers team most thought they had no chance to beat. Remember what happened? I think the same kind of game and result is awaiting us Sunday night.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
The player on the Dallas Team I'm most worried about is Marion "The Barbarian" Barber. I'm worried he could really wear down our D with his power rushing attack, and that is what his running is, an attack. Love the way he runs, wish we had a Barbarian rusher on our team like that. I think we'll be able to limit T.O., or at least I hope so. T.O. and Barber are two players that give Dallas some huge weapons.

Barber didn't start against us last year. This year he'll be getting the majority of the running snaps. And unless he is tired from the PHilly game, he could be hard to stop.

I remember in the Lions game, they quoted Grant as saying he liked being a power rusher who liked to punish the defense. That didn't make much sense to me. That had to be a misquote as he is NO power rusher imo. Grant is a finesse runner. Barber, he's the real deal when it comes to a RB that wants to punish the D. If Barber hit's Al Harris like Peterson did, Al won't be getting back up. I feel bad for our Secondary if they have to step up and take down Barber because he is breaking through.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THE Packer FAN said:
I am really scared about this game. We have a great QB but he has only started two games again weak opponents. Will he even last the entire game without getting hurt? I mean the Dallas defense is much much better than those we faced before.

The Eagles and the Browns had slightly better offenses than ours and they both got beaten by the Cowboys.

The one thing we have going for us is that they've never won here. Will that be enough? I'm praying Rodgers does not go down this game. Is there anything we can do to have a chance at winning against a much stronger team?

Am I reading this right? Eagles and Browns offenses are better than ours? Seriously? The Browns would be a cake walk and IMO I would bet on GB outscoring the Eagles.

The only thing I worry about is preasure to Rodgers. Not enough games as a starter and too much preasure may rattle him a bit. If he gets time in the pocket we win walking away. We have more weapons than Cowboys. If we can bring just enough preassure to slow them down then an early season win against the cows looks likely to me. Down the stretch I will bet on the cows to take the NFC. If they don't they better fire their coach and ******* Jones better sell the team because with the cash he shelled out to buy the players he did and not make it will make the cows a laughing stock (again). A fool and his money......

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MoxRox said:
If Dallas comes out and jumps to an early lead...and they're more than capable of going up 21-0 early, it's going to get ugly. We can force the Packers to abandon the run game and take to the air...and our corners are better than what Rodgers has faced thus far, especially with Newman back. The more time Rodgers has to find an open receiver, the more time Ware and Ellis have to get at him.

Rodgers isn't McNabb...I don't see him breaking out of those tackles.

You are right...Rodgers isn't McNabb. He is much smarter.

theodoric

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Limiting Barber this weeks will be an easier job than last year because... we have Jolly and Pickett back in the lineup, and Deon Anderson, starting FB for the cowboys is injured. Also with Woodson back hopefully, we will fare better in pass defense. As for rodgers, i like his style of play more than favre's. If Favre was down 14-0 or 21-0, he'd start lobbing it, hoping for some action. Rodgers is more patient and that's the type of qb we need against a team like dallas that's good all-around.

and here's news on cowboy's fb anderson
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-3- ... ort=oldest

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a trojan horse post guys. Don't fall for it. I would bet my house this is a Dallas fan trying to stire the pot. I did the same thing to cavs fans when they played boston this year.

D-Town

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You really think the Packers would outscore the Eagles?

Dallas > Philadelphia > Green Bay

I'm pretty sure no Packer fan will agree, so let's wait till the game.

cowboyuptx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packerlifer said:
First of all, we can start with the old premise that the Cowboys put their pants on one leg at a time and aren't 10 feet tall. They're a talented football team but so are the Packers.
Duh... I dont think anybody really believes the Packers cant beat Dallas... But will they?
Packerlifer said:
Dallas is just built differently. Jerry Jones has been trying to buy a championship ever since he let the dynasty Jimmy Johnson built for him slip away. So he purchases mercenaries like T.O. PacMan, Tank Williams. And they haven't won a playoff game in 12 years.
First of all, what the hell does any of that have to do with the game on Sunday? Dallas not winning in the playoffs last year, isn't gonna stop them from beating the Packers on Sunday... Just like the Cowboys win over the Packers last year, isn't really going to help them either...

And btw, PacMan and Tank aren't even starters for us....
Packerlifer said:
The Packers, of course, build by the draft. They're a younger team but have already accomplished much. They may not have as many well known names but they're solid football players.
Dallas doesn't build through the draft ? Man, your ignorance is showing here...

Dallas is all about the draft! They're constantly stockpiling draft picks... In 2005 and 2008, they had TWO 1st-Rounders... Next year, they'll have TWO 3rd-Rounders and TWO 4th-Rounders...

15 of the Dallas starters were drafted by Cowboys...
17 of the Green Bay starters were drafted by the Packers... Both teams believe in building through the draft...

The Packers are a slightly younger team, but Dallas is also a very young team.... And contrary to your statement, that young team, actually hasn't accomplished anything, not with Rodgers under center...
Packerlifer said:
The Packers will get the Cowboys at home for a change, where they've almost always won. Dallas comes in on a short week following their emotional effort Mon. night against Philly. That's where the Cowboys shot their bolt.
Actually, Dallas is 3-3 in their last 6 ROAD games versus the Packers... However the 3 Dallas wins, were in Milwaukee... Tony Romo is 12-2 in road games for his career, but this one might actually count as home game for Romo...

I do agree that Dallas could have somewhat of a letdown after such an emotional win last week...
Packerlifer said:
The Packers started too tight in last year's game between 10-1 teams down there. They'll be a much more confident and poised team from the start this time.
How do you know? That's really just you guessing, again... This is only Rodgers' 3rd start! Dallas is the best football team he has ever played in his life! I think you're making some big assumptions there...
Packerlifer said:
Whenever Brett Favre went to Dallas he went wild, especially early. Aaron Rodgers won't be that way, as he showed coming in to rally the team in last year's game. He'll be more patient, take what the defense gives and seize opportunity for a big play when it presents instead of trying to force one that isn't there.
Again, you're making a lot of assumptions... And again, I remind you, Dallas is the best football team he has ever played in his life! That doesn't mean that he cant/wont win this game, he's ready to be a NFL QB, but this is only his 3rd start... Sooner than later, he's gonna have a bad game... It's the nature of the league, especially for an inexperienced QB... He's gonna make some mistakes, and he'll have to take his lumps...
Packerlifer said:
Last year the Packers played that game in D without Ryan Pickett, Johnny Jolly and Charles Woodson in the defensive lineup.
Sad when I know more about your team than you..... Ryan Pickett did play in that game... Aside from that, we wont be 100% on Sunday, but if we lose, I would never try to use injuries as an excuse... And especially not if my team had been beaten soundly, as the Packers were last November...
Packerlifer said:
I haven't checked in to the difference between Dallas playing on artificial turf and natural grass but they're still a speed team designed for the rug they play on at home.
You're really reaching here... They went 13-3 last year, you wont do that if you cant play on grass...
Packerlifer said:
A year ago at this point the Packers were 2-0 and coming home to face an awesome Chargers team most thought they had no chance to beat. Remember what happened? I think the same kind of game and result is awaiting us Sunday night.
Every game is different, and this will be a far different game than that SD game...

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D-Town said:

Yes I believe GB can outscore the Eagles. I'm pretty sure no dallas fan would agree. Especially since they went toe to toe with dallas without their best recievers. I wonder what that game would have looked like if they would have been in the game ? It's a moot point because they weren't and it's all just hypothetical.

As I said on an earlier post. I believe dallas should take the NFC. If they don't they should fire their coaching staff and Jones should sell the franchise. That actually should have happened last year given the talent he bought. At the moment dallas is just a paper champion team and had better figure out how to win a big game at the end of the season other wise "Americas Team" will continue to stand for the team that can't get it done.

Dallas seems to be the team all other teams and team fans hate for some reason. I'm not sure why that is. At first I thought maybe it's jealousy but they would have to have won something in the last 20 years to make people jealous so that's not it. I think it's like when Ali was in his prime. People paid big money to go to his fights and everyone watched his fights on TV yet everyone hated him. They all watched because they wanted to see him get beat. He was a loud mouth arrogant SOB. He was one of the greatest to ever step in the ring but no one liked him till he retired. The difference between him and the current dallas team is that he won the big one. He put his money where his mouth is. Dallas needs to win the big one again and needs to do it before Jones dies. He is getting up there in age and another year of shelling ridiculous salaries and not getting the return he has been looking for since he took over may be too much for the old man.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Good luck in the game and let's hope it's injury free.

bluestar76

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game will come down to who makes the most plays on defense. Both defenses have playmakers its just a question of who gets the most turnovers. IMHO Rodgers mobility and ability to be accurate from the pocket is a good counter for the cowboys pressure players. You guys have a great team and its in your house as well, so I give the edge to you on this game. I have been going back and forth on who I think is going to win this week for certain but given the line if I was a betting man my money would be on the packers.

http://www.absolutecowboys.com

D-Town

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DGB454 said:
D-Town said:

Yes I believe GB can outscore the Eagles. I'm pretty sure no dallas fan would agree. Especially since they went toe to toe with dallas without their best recievers. I wonder what that game would have looked like if they would have been in the game ? It's a moot point because they weren't and it's all just hypothetical.

As I said on an earlier post. I believe dallas should take the NFC. If they don't they should fire their coaching staff and Jones should sell the franchise. That actually should have happened last year given the talent he bought. At the moment dallas is just a paper champion team and had better figure out how to win a big game at the end of the season other wise "Americas Team" will continue to stand for the team that can't get it done.

Dallas seems to be the team all other teams and team fans hate for some reason. I'm not sure why that is. At first I thought maybe it's jealousy but they would have to have won something in the last 20 years to make people jealous so that's not it. I think it's like when Ali was in his prime. People paid big money to go to his fights and everyone watched his fights on TV yet everyone hated him. They all watched because they wanted to see him get beat. He was a loud mouth arrogant SOB. He was one of the greatest to ever step in the ring but no one liked him till he retired. The difference between him and the current dallas team is that he won the big one. He put his money where his mouth is. Dallas needs to win the big one again and needs to do it before Jones dies. He is getting up there in age and another year of shelling ridiculous salaries and not getting the return he has been looking for since he took over may be too much for the old man.

Great post. :p Seriously though, I do agree with everything you said. That's the way it seems, doesn't it? That the Cowboys just can't win the big one. They can't even make it their as of yet, gotta get over that playoff slump.

But the feeling over here in Dallas is very different, as it probably is in many other football citys. Not talking for all Cowboy fans, but last year for myself I just always had the feeling that when we played NFC East rivals that something would go wrong. Or they would just find a way to lose games. I know "any given sunday" is a part of football, but it just always seemed like it always happened to the Cowboys.

Back to the Dallas/GB game though. It will be another high scoring and close game like the one we had against the Eagles. It will come down to whoever makes mistakes, but I believe the better team will still come out and win. So whoever that is should have the inside route to the Super Bowl. But as we all know, being the best in the NFC doesn't mean squat, or being 2nd best for that matter.

Gametime is only a few hours away, see you guys then. I'll be back win or lose to discuss the games with some very intelligent Packer fans. Can't really wish you luck, but here's to hoping for a great game with no injuries.

cowboyuptx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DGB454 said:
D-Town said:

I think the Packers offense could score more than the Eagles offense did on Monday, but I really only credit their offense to 23 points... I do think this game will definitely have something in common with Dallas' last game, that being that this will also be a great game to watch!

Other than that, I gotta agree with most everything you said...

cowboyuptx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bluestar76 said:
This game will come down to who makes the most plays on defense. Both defenses have playmakers its just a question of who gets the most turnovers. IMHO Rodgers mobility and ability to be accurate from the pocket is a good counter for the cowboys pressure players. You guys have a great team and its in your house as well, so I give the edge to you on this game. I have been going back and forth on who I think is going to win this week for certain but given the line if I was a betting man my money would be on the packers.

http://www.absolutecowboys.com

I agree with most of that... I keep having visions of Rodgers picking up crucial 3rd and 7's with his feet... The Packers WR are very good, which should back the DB's off... And Ryan Grant coming out of the back-field, will help freeze the LB's in the middle of the field... All of which will make it hard to contain Rodgers and keep him from scampering down the sideline... Looks like Rodgers chooses his spots to run very wisely...

I think this will be more of an offensive game, which as you eluded to, will magnify any big plays from the defenses...

fromphilly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DGB454 said:

Your comment wasn't necessary ... versus Dallas, McNabb - the one who isn't "smarter" - had a better game in terms of TD's, completion percentage as well as QB efficiency rating. All of this with a significantly more pedestrian set of WR's.

Aaron is a good QB and will soon be one of the top 5-10 in the league though.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
fromphilly said:
DGB454 said:

Your comment wasn't necessary ... versus Dallas, McNabb - the one who isn't "smarter" - had a better game in terms of TD's, completion percentage as well as QB efficiency rating. All of this with a significantly more pedestrian set of WR's.

Aaron is a good QB and will soon be one of the top 5-10 in the league though.

DM 281 yards one passing td, 65% comp and 20 yards rushing...total of 301 yards and one td

Rodgers 290 yards passing, one rushing td 56% comp and 10 yards rushing..total of 300 yards and 1 td...

Yup, LOT better numbers there :lol:

fromphilly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

My point was that the "smarter" comment wasn't necessary.

If the original comment was right, then the "smarter" QB would've done significantly better since he was on his Home field and McNabb was on the Road (again, with inferior receivers to boot). It shouldn't have been a close comparison :rofl:

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fromphilly said:
longtimefan said:

My point was that the "smarter" comment wasn't necessary.

If the original comment was right, then the "smarter" QB would've done significantly better since he was on his Home field and McNabb was on the Road (again, with inferior receivers to boot). It shouldn't have been a close comparison :rofl:

Sorry I didn't answer this comment earlier but I don't get to this board that often anymore.

You're statements don't make sense. "QB would've done significantly better since he was on his Home field and McNabb was on the Road". What does intelligence have to do with winning on the road versus winning at home? McNabb has 10 years of experience and Aaron has 3 games yet it
was a close comparrison. I still don't base my comment on that. I base it on listening to both
talking during interviews. Not to mention McNabb scored 14 on the Wonderlic and Rodgers scored 35.

If you put any stock in the Wonderlic then it appears Rodgers is greater than 2 times more intelligent than McNabb.