Gm rankings for draft

Reaction score
Didn't realize that Higgins or Pittman we're still there at #30. Ouch.

And as far as Love, we can go back and forth on what serviceable means. If Rodgers goes down, the team is in big trouble. And I'm not sure if there is another backup QB out there who would make much difference. I think Love would have a better chance in another environment, but even that is a leap of faith.

And maybe Gluten did think he was reaching for glory by selecting Love as TT selected Rodgers. That was a foolish move. I'm glad he got better with personnel moves since.

Love was a lousy pick. End of story for me.
Gute could probably get a book deal on the subject and it would be a best seller.

I think it was a perplexing move at the time. I didn’t initially like it, but I trust our GM had his reasons. Overall he’s been solid.

Plus, we have to grade our GM when his selections are finished, not when they start. Those who were writing Love off at one full season (some after 1 game!) speaks to me as desperate attempts to defend ones personal position. If we made those bold declarations after 5-6 years down the road? That’s completely understandable. Or saying it was the wrong positional selection? I get that and I’d agree! But attacking the player? Really?

Taking a graduating Junior from college who anyone who knew anything about Love knew he was mostly projection. It was common knowledge that he needed extra time to develop. Here he is. Redshirted in 2020
1st full program last season.
Sophomore Season just starting.

While it might not have been MY pick initially. He is OUR pick now
(I felt the spirit of Buggy pass through!)
Im going to continue praying he performs and root this kid on or I get nothing but to pet my ego.
My ego doesn’t need petting!

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute could probably get a book deal on the subject and it would be a best seller.

I think it was a perplexing move at the time. I didn’t initially like it, but I trust our GM had his reasons. Overall he’s been solid.

Plus, we have to grade our GM when his selections are finished, not when they start. Those who were writing Love off at one full season (some after 1 game!) speaks to me as desperate attempts to defend ones personal position. If we made those bold declarations after 5-6 years down the road? That’s completely understandable. Or saying it was the wrong positional selection? I get that and I’d agree! But attacking the player? Really?

Taking a graduating Junior from college who anyone who knew anything about Love knew he was mostly projection. It was common knowledge that he needed extra time to develop. Here he is. Redshirted in 2020
1st full program last season.
Sophomore Season just starting.

While it might not have been MY pick initially. He is OUR pick now
(I felt the spirit of Buggy pass through!)
Im going to continue praying he performs and root this kid on or I get nothing but to pet my ego.
My ego doesn’t need petting!
Two things this brings to mind, including one thing about Love I think is important:

1. Gluten needs to be judged by his growing body of work. I give him a grade of A.

2. Love deserves better than this. He can't get a fair shake in GB. Trade him somewhere where he can get a new start, or just a start.

D

Deleted member 6794

And as far as Love, we can go back and forth on what serviceable means. If Rodgers goes down, the team is in big trouble. And I'm not sure if there is another backup QB out there who would make much difference.

There are backup quarterbacks in the league capable of winning roughly half of their starts, allowing a team to stay in playoff contention even with the starter missing several games. Unfortunately I don't believe Love is one of them at this point in his career though.

Plus, we have to grade our GM when his selections are finished, not when they start.

I definitely agree with that statement, although there's no denying the early returns on Love aren't promising.

Taking a graduating Junior from college who anyone who knew anything about Love knew he was mostly projection. It was common knowledge that he needed extra time to develop.

In my opinion the Packers taking Love, a quarterback who they knew needed extra time to develop, actually makes the selection even worse. When was he supposed to get that opportunity while not even being active for his rookie campaign and then projected to backup Rodgers for the rest of his rookie deal???

Love deserves better than this. He can't get a fair shake in GB. Trade him somewhere where he can get a new start, or just a start.

I don't understand that sentiment at all. The Packers should hold on to Love as long as they consider him the best option as a backup. They don't owe him an opportunity to compete for a starting job with another team by any means.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are backup quarterbacks in the league capable of winning roughly half of their starts, allowing a team to stay in playoff contention even with the starter missing several games. Unfortunately I don't believe Love is one of them at this point in his career though.

I definitely agree with that statement, although there's no denying the early returns on Love aren't promising.

In my opinion the Packers taking Love, a quarterback who they knew needed extra time to develop, actually makes the selection even worse. When was he supposed to get that opportunity while not even being active for his rookie campaign and then projected to backup Rodgers for the rest of his rookie deal???

I don't understand that sentiment at all. The Packers should hold on to Love as long as they consider him the best option as a backup. They don't owe him an opportunity to compete for a starting job with another team by any means.
You contradict yourself. You say there are other BU QBs in the league better than Love, and then argue that the Packers should hang on to Love as long as they consider him the best option. Which is it Cap? Are there better options or not? Do you see someone Gluten doesn't? If the Packers saw a better option, I gotta believe they'd get him. And yeah, a good BU plays .500 ball until the starter returns.

I realize not everyone has a lot of empathy, but I'd like to see Love get a chance somewhere else. And you're right, it is sentiment, and it's shared by a lot of people here - but also good strategy if they can get a better BU QB.

Anyway please clarify. Love is the best they can possibly do, or he's not. You're saying both.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no doubt Gutekunst has done a great job overall. It was his biggest mistake to trade up for Love in the first round of the 2020 draft though.

I would have been fine with a third or fourth round pick spent on a quarterback in case Rodgers didn't bounce back. There was absolutely no reason to trade up in the first round just in case.

I agree there was no way for the front office to know Rodgers would bounce back but they should have been aware that it was a distinct possibility. With that being said and the team coming off making it to the NFCCG with Rodgers struggling trading up in the first round to select a backup quarterback was a terrible idea.

It might be worth noting that the Steelers haven't been that successful since losing to the Packers in the Super Bowl in 2010 either. Actually they have won only three playoff games since while missing the playoffs four times.

I don't consider it as fortunate to spend a first rounder on a prospect that will hardly play over the length of his rookie contract.
He didn't say it was fortunate to spend a 1st rounder on a QB that won't play. What he said was it was fortunate that that 1st round QB did not need to play.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No disrespect, but I will go with the thoughts of several respected NFL GMs over the thoughts of how a random fan on a message board believes GMs operate.

Gute and several people on Gute's staff loved Christian Watson and they did whatever it took to get the player they loved. You can type until your fingers are blue but it doesn't change the facts.

Packers director of football operations Milt Hendrickson on the Packers loving Watson and the cost of trading up for him:

"A pick is just a pick until it becomes a player. From that standpoint, if you really love the player, you just find a way to get him."
If only they had found a way to get Jefferson.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice try little one. Need is taking a player strictly based on the position they play. You are clueless and getting mad about it now. Getting triggered is never a good look. Sucks to be you.

Milt is talking about loving a player and doing whatever it takes to get him. Not picking a player because of a perceived "need" that a little fanboy claims the Packers have. GMs feel "needs" can change from April to September. Good GMs don't draft for need little one. Keep typing though. Perhaps maybe more of your clueless thoughts will make you feel better. Whatever helps you cope.

Enjoy your weekend. I know I will.
Now Mr. (or is it Mrs. Gute) you are the one who sounds like they are getting triggered. You make a lot of good points in defending your little boy. No need to start with the name calling. Take a timeout and get back to us. When you stick to your points, you have valid and interesting thoughts.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have the maturity of a child. Seriously??? This is the kinda of private message you send someone?
Yeah this guy is nothing but a schoolyard bully. He wants everyone to know he is the smartest guy in the room type. Too bad, he seemed to have some pretty good insights but he wasn't happy with letting his opinions and thoughts do the talking for him. He had to pick on who he called a 12 year old. I can't wait to get my private message from him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah this guy is nothing but a schoolyard bully. He wants everyone to know he is the smartest guy in the room type. Too bad, he seemed to have some pretty good insights but he wasn't happy with letting his opinions and thoughts do the talking for him. He had to pick on who he called a 12 year old. I can't wait to get my private message from him.
He's not even a schoolyard bully. He's the kind that hides behind insults. He's a coward. Fortunately he's also been banned.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If only they had found a way to get Jefferson.
I am no draft guru but I remember clearly thinking Jefferson caught a lot of passes in college. And then I remember almost everyone on this board browbeating him as over-rated. So it is kind of funny to me to see so many say oh what if. Not saying you did Schultz. But a lot did and my thinking was influenced by that.

Reaction score
When was he supposed to get that opportunity while not even being active for his rookie campaign and then projected to backup Rodgers for the rest of his rookie deal???
You did it again …

Hindsight

Or at minimum.. Making assumptions that you cannot prove. Or maybe you can? I will allow you benefit of the doubt..
Show us evidence that Gutenkunst purposefully planned to use Jordan Love as a career backup prior to the draft selection..

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am no draft guru but I remember clearly thinking Jefferson caught a lot of passes in college. And then I remember almost everyone on this board browbeating him as over-rated. So it is kind of funny to me to see so many say oh what if. Not saying you did Schultz. But a lot did and my thinking was influenced by that.
I was responding to the guy that got banned who must be a relative of Gutes'. He defended the Love pick. Claimed Gute tried to move up to get Jefferson. Then defended the trade to get Watson by saying you do whatever you have to, to get your guy. My point was why didn't he do whatever he had to, to get Jefferson then. I was just trying to knock the guy down. Us keyboard warriors have the benefit of hindsight.
I want to be clear I am an overall Gute fan. Nobody's perfect. Gute is way above average compared to his peers at this point.

D

Deleted member 6794

You contradict yourself. You say there are other BU QBs in the league better than Love, and then argue that the Packers should hang on to Love as long as they consider him the best option. Which is it Cap? Are there better options or not? Do you see someone Gluten doesn't? If the Packers saw a better option, I gotta believe they'd get him. And yeah, a good BU plays .500 ball until the starter returns.

There's nothing contradictory about my statements at all. While I don't think Love would be able to win half of the games the Packers currently don't have a better option available as backups who are capable of doing that are either under contract with another team or too expensive for the team to consider.

I realize not everyone has a lot of empathy, but I'd like to see Love get a chance somewhere else. And you're right, it is sentiment, and it's shared by a lot of people here - but also good strategy if they can get a better BU QB.

I highly doubt a lot of Packers fans agree about Love deserving a chance somewhere else.

He didn't say it was fortunate to spend a 1st rounder on a QB that won't play. What he said was it was fortunate that that 1st round QB did not need to play.

There's nothing fortunate about a first rounder not playing though. It should actually be considered as a complete waste of a pick.

You did it again …

Hindsight

Or at minimum.. Making assumptions that you cannot prove. Or maybe you can? I will allow you benefit of the doubt..
Show us evidence that Gutenkunst purposefully planned to use Jordan Love as a career backup prior to the draft selection..

Once again, I'm not using hindsight to criticize Love's selection as it was clear to me from the time he was selected that he wasn't going to get significant playing time over the tenure of his rookie contract.

After two years that have played out exactly as I expected I'm not the one needing to provide evidence that it was a terrible move but you should come up with a reason justifying the move.

I save you some time though, there isn't any.

D

Deleted member 6794

You expected Love to not supplant the back-to-back MVP? I expected AR12 to miss 6-8 games for injury at least as he had previously.

I fully expected Love to not play any significant snaps in his first two seasons with the Packers.

Rodgers had missed several games in only two of 12 seasons as a starter at the time the Packers drafted Love. Therefore I guess it was unrealistic to expect that happening once again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts