Game 15 vs Cleveland [pregame and post game thread]

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The Browns need to sign Bernie to come in and get trounced. I would be surprised if this one is close, but its hard to hate the Browns. At least they are tied with the queens for SB trophies.
Ahhhh.... but.... the Browns have several NFL/World Championships - comparing the Browns to the Vikings is like comparing apples and lugnuts. :D

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I liked him better than Linsley. Tretter's shotgun snaps came on a line to Rodgers. Linsley's and now Patrick's seem to be lofted on an arc. Split second longer to get to the QB. Sometimes end up at the knees.
Problem with Tretter when he was a Packer, was that he seemed to be hurt all the time. He missed his entire rookie year with an injury and then only started in 10 games over the next 3 years. Linsley took over while Tretter was hurt and never gave up the starting job. So no real reason to give Tretter the kind of contract that he got in Cleveland. Of course, once he became a Brown, he never missed a game and has been a solid Center for them.

Reaction score
If GB has any success whatsoever at slowing the run game and their high TE usage? GB will go up several scores by quarter 4.

Reaction score
I’m seeing constant buzz in the media about how GB is in trouble, for lack of better words. While there is truth to the fact any team can flop, I’m going to go out on a limb and say that GB is being underestimated.

I wonder if GB can score the 16 points needed to surpass the Browns (15 point) late season scoring average? I’m giving the Browns 23 and that’s very generous!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the Browns are coming in hungry and desperate for a win to save their season. However, not much different than the Ravens needing a win last week or the Bears the previous week.

The best team should win tomorrow and that is obviously the Packers.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m seeing constant buzz in the media about how GB is in trouble, for lack of better words. While there is truth to the fact any team can flop, I’m going to go out on a limb and say that GB is being underestimated.

I wonder if GB can score the 16 points needed to surpass the Browns (15 point) late season scoring average? I’m giving the Browns 23 and that’s very generous!
The sports media need the football fans to leave their family on Christmas day to watch the game. Clickbait is about all they got.

D

Deleted member 6794

I fully expect the Packers' passing offense to put up impressive numbers against a defense missing several key players on that side of the ball (Clowney, Harrison, Hill, McDowell and Newsome) and Garrett most likely not being fully healthy.

While their offense isn't missing that many starters they haven't been any good as of late to begin with.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was lucky. We just cannot dominate. Still, will take that!

As Alex Ferguson will say "T'was squeeky bum time".

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, we usually stink it up and are a really mediocre team masquerading as the #1 team in the league. ;)
Packers looked mediocre yesterday giving up 8.75 yards per carry. If not for Mayfield stinking it up, Browns would've thrashed the Packers. They won't have the luxury of playing a rusty Mayfield in the playoffs so whatever "worked" against Mayfield yesterday won't be the answer

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cleveland also had some gifts from the refs on their opening drive. A 15 yd low block penalty on Savage? Trying to make a tackle. There were also a few blatant holds on them that were not called.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Packers looked mediocre yesterday giving up 8.75 yards per carry. If not for Mayfield stinking it up, Browns would've thrashed the Packers. They won't have the luxury of playing a rusty Mayfield in the playoffs so whatever "worked" against Mayfield yesterday won't be the answer
These days you really just never know who you might face in the next game due to covid and injuries. Heck, we might have to start a very rusty Love, that wouldn't be good.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Stop it, that low block is/was a penalty.
In the true sense of the penalty, yes, I agree with you. However, I think that is one they may/should review and try to tweak this offseason. Too many times this year it has been called in a situation where the defender is diving to tackle the ball carrier and brushes up against the blockers lower legs. The penalty was intended to dissuade defenders from intentionally taking blockers legs out from underneath them, not to protect the ball carrier from diving tackles.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop it, that low block is/was a penalty.
I guess it's a penalty but when they showed the replay I did not really understand what exactly happened because it was such a ***** hit and it looked like Savage was just taking himself out of the play. Well, that's what I thought when I saw the replay which I only saw once.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Climbing onto my soapbox:

I guess this is a fan thing throughout the entire sports world but complaining about calls that go against you when you know damn well you would be agreeing with the same call if it was in your favor just makes you look bad and it reflects poorly on the entire fan base. We all know that some people saying that was a good non call would be screaming it was a terrible call if it was an opponent doing that to a Packer receiver. You hear all kinds of complaining when the refs make questionable calls against the Packers but when the same types of calls benefit the Packers you don't hear anything or if you do its "suck it up" "play better" "calls even out" and all sorts of other excuses. Remember how much everyone screamed when they missed the facemask on Aaron Rodgers that lead to the Cardinals strip sack TD in the playoff game? The refs missed an equally obvious facemask on Mayfield and I haven't heard one peep from Packers fans. Was it last year when the Packers got a bunch of questionable calls in their favor against the Lions. Within a couple of weeks, might have even been the next week, a couple of people were on here screaming about how the Packers got screwed over on bad calls. I can't say for certain but it wouldn't surprise me if some of those who said nothing about the Lions game were the same ones making the bad call posts the next week.

IMO we got away with some pretty obvious penalties against the Browns. They got away with a few as well, although the "well yeah but they got away with...so it evens out" comments always seem to involve far less obvious penalties IMO. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular. I probably couldn't name one member here who I could say for certain has done it. To be honest I could read a post from one person in one thread saying we got screwed and then read a post by the same person in another thread the next week saying exactly the opposite and I doubt if I would know it was the same person. There are a few posters whose avatar I recognize out of the corner of my eye as I scroll through the thread but generally as I scroll through the posts I don't even know who posts what. I read the posts first and unless its a post that I particularly agree or disagree with or it otherwise stands out I rarely look at who the poster even is. Most posts where they start crying about the refs I usually just skip. Just as an example, and this is no way related to anything else I am saying here, there is a member who refers to Gutekunst as Gluten. When I see "Gluten" in a post I know the same person has made the post but I couldn't tell you who that member is. I just don't look at who says what all that much.

I'm not saying I never do it. I think its human nature to defend your own. If I think it was a bad call I'll say it but I do try to make a conscious effort to say the same thing if the same call goes in our favor. I'm not saying don't call out bad calls. Just don't bitch about the refs being inconsistent if you are not going to be consistent yourself. There are a few things that irritate the hell out of me about other fans, of the Packers as well as of other teams, and whining about the refs is right there near the top.

Like my signature once said Every team has fans that the fans of other teams point to and say "all their fans are Assholes." Don't be one of those fans.

stepping down from my soapbox

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the true sense of the penalty, yes, I agree with you. However, I think that is one they may/should review and try to tweak this offseason. Too many times this year it has been called in a situation where the defender is diving to tackle the ball carrier and brushes up against the blockers lower legs. The penalty was intended to dissuade defenders from intentionally taking blockers legs out from underneath them, not to protect the ball carrier from diving tackles.
Anyone have a clip of that play. I missed it and the replay but heard them talking about it. It sounds like this may be a rule that needs clarification. Something like the Bengals Jets game when the ball carrier lowers his head into a defender causing a helmet to helmet collision which then gets called on the defender who would have hit the player in the stomach had he (the ball carrier) not lowered his head.

I'm generally not for more rules or adding more subjectivity to existing ones but these types of calls need to be looked at closer.

Members online

Latest posts