Game 13 - NY Giants - Studs and Duds

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Penalties which equals undisciplined play. They lead the league in sts penalties. Every damn week there's sts penalties..or missed blocks on fg attempts..or fumbles or missed fgs..or roughing.
It's called a young team. I had thought they finally had turned the corner, but 2 steps forward, one step back.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's every week. Yes, I know they are young..but..at this point of the season..that is no longer an excuse!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are starting to pick pepper out of fly dung. The team did not show up to play. Love was off all night - even off when WRs made the catch. Receivers running wrong routes. I won't bash the OL too much, as they didn't lose the game but didn't win it either. Nobody on defense played well, except backup LBs making fourth down stops here and there. This was an all around stinker, which is exactly what I thought would happen with such a young team.

The key is do they learn from it.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, middling then. The pass play doesn't count in his running stats. I like Dillon and hope they bring him back. The oline also didn't play well and that resulted in some bad carries for him as well. I'll agree to take him off the list. I just think we need more out of 15 carries. It's really an oline problem too.
I dont think there will be much of a market for Dillon. We should be able to sign him cheaply. There is some good talent in the draft and unless we go after a FA (rarely worth it) we should be able to get a pretty good young back in the 3rd.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That flea flicker or hook n ladder or statue of liberty play or whatever that was...was AWFUL!
They opened the game with a Jet Sweep to Reed and it was successful. After that, MLF kept going to the well one too many times, at least 3 times, with that type of play. Time to scrap that from the playbook. Stick with maybe 1 Jet Sweep a game and call it a day.

The 2 point attempt play call was just absolutely horrid. The Giants saw it coming, I saw it coming and yelled "Nooooo, not THAT!"

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Studs - hmmmm...... maybe Kraft and Dillon for the entire night. Others had moments.

Duds - Coaches and veteran players couldn't lead effectively enough to escape the "trap game" trap. Shame on them. Very sloppy play for almost the entire game.

Comment- exhibit A on why the GM needs to draft best talent available on his draft board. There were so many mistakes across all position groups all night and the injuries have certainly compromised some of the position groups.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
They opened the game with a Jet Sweep to Reed and it was successful. After that, MLF kept going to the well one too many times, at least 3 times, with that type of play. Time to scrap that from the playbook. Stick with maybe 1 Jet Sweep a game and call it a day.

The 2 point attempt play call was just absolutely horrid. The Giants saw it coming, I saw it coming and yelled "Nooooo, not THAT!"
Disagree. Reed is now their only outside running threat with Jones and Watson out. You have to show some outside running plays during every game. It really helps if you got guys that can block some though.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was always a building season. Let's see how they respond next week. There will always be games that we should win but don't- "any given Sunday". I will be very pleased about the teams long term outlook if they come back next week and play much better.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except that Dillon is so slow when he has to adjust running into the line. He is so slow to make little turns that he almost stands still.

Disagree, as he isn't a guy that is going to bounce around much, BUT last night I actually loved how he was back cutting or cutting into a different lane and going unlike he'd done earlier in the season. As far as trying to pick a line in an abysmal blocking game I'd argue Dillon just had one of the best games of his career....I'll not set that in stone yet, gotta watch and breakdown the All22 film

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Disagree. Reed is now their only outside running threat with Jones and Watson out. You have to show some outside running plays during every game. It really helps if you got guys that can block some though.
While you can disagree, the results of running that play over and over in a game, seem to speak for themselves. While I agree with you that the lack of blocking didn't help, the recognition of the defense had something to do with that too. Like I said, it seems to work once or maybe twice a game, but beyond that, it seems to fail.

That covers the pure "1 pitch to Reed play". The double reverse, pitch back to the QB, mumbo jumbo plays, scrap them. Either this team is too young to pull those off or just not talented enough, they are a train wreck play.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Watson can't play on Sunday, the Packers may really be shorthanded at WR. Reed is being evaluated for a concussion and Wicks appears to have a high ankle sprain.

If those 3 can't play against the Bucs, that leaves the Packers with 3 healthy WR's on the current active roster: Doubs, Heath and Toure. Which would mean that both Grant Dubose and Bo Melton might be called up from the PS and get a chance to play.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say this....MLF has NEVER to my memory spoken so critical of the defense and not just in generalities but specifics:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Watson can't play on Sunday, the Packers may really be shorthanded at WR. Reed is being evaluated for a concussion and Wicks appears to have a high ankle sprain.

If those 3 can't play against the Bucs, that leaves the Packers with 3 healthy WR's on the current active roster: Doubs, Heath and Toure. Which would mean that both Grant Dubose and Bo Melton might be called up from the PS and get a chance to play.
Uh oh.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's the youth movement!

I'm not happy about the injuries, but at least the Packers might get a look at DuBose in real game action. We may have seen the last of Wicks for awhile, but I would think Reed won't be out too long, if at all.

I like how that Packer WR group is shaping up. If Watson can stay on the field, I think he, Reed and Doubs are going to be a good group for several years. Wicks has been impressive too and Heath has shown flashes of talent.

I also don't mind the fact that Love is able to spread the ball around to different receivers, gives him more options. Fans used to complain about Rodgers appearing to be over reliant on Davante. Which to some extent I agree with, but for me, it was always because there was such a wide talent gap between Davante and the other receivers. Not the case with this team.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Went to the game and the studs were Giants fans (they were really fun and kind), Tyler Kraft and I really liked what I saw from Devonte Wyatt. Also shout to Ben Sims dad, great guy I met after the game.

Duds- Nixon was real bad, not sure what happened to Love and the play call on the 2 point conversion. Why didn’t they roll Love out and dump it off to Sims or Kraft?! Though the Packers did not deserve to win that game when Saquon literally gave them the opportunity.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not just rookies making mistakes though. Rudy Ford with the 15 yd penalty. Nixon with the fumble. Dillon and Myers run into each other on that weird *** play. Campbell with terrible tackle attempts. Yeah some of the rookies made their mistakes..but..these veterans need to play and lead better!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's not just rookies making mistakes though. Rudy Ford with the 15 yd penalty. Nixon with the fumble. Dillon and Myers run into each other on that weird *** play. Campbell with terrible tackle attempts. Yeah some of the rookies made their mistakes..but..these veterans need to play and lead better!
I agree and sometimes wonder if its contagious. A Veteran like Nixon is trying to make a big play on a punt return, to spark the team and it ends up doing just the opposite. MLF pulls a few plays deep from the playbook (double reverse, flea flicker) and instead of a big play, gets a big downer. I am all for opening up the playbook, but this offense needs to stay somewhat simple. The defense is running out of excuses for not being able to stop the run. Missing Walker last night didn't help and Campbell needs to play better. However, in the end, I look at Joe Barry and say "You've got enough talent to be better than this, figure it out!"

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the problems is that all of those players are injured. Walker, Stokes, and Alexander were all out. I know they have played well and won games without them, but at some point it starts catching up with you. Walker being out hurt.

Super dud: Barry who can't figure out how to stop the run to save his job. Even pulling out those previous games against better opponents they still ran wild on us.
With the short week ahead, those three along with Jones and Watson will probably not be available Sunday. Wicks injured his ankle and said after the game that he believed it is a high ankle sprain. Reed was evaluated for a concussion. The receiving corps Sunday might be Doubs, Heath and Toure plus Melton and Dubose off the PS.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very disappointing performance.

Love was horrendous for most of the game, while MLF was trying getting way too cute repeatedly. The most egregious example was in the red zone with a minute and a half left, when we were getting 5 yds/carry with both Dillon and Taylor. Why are we putting the ball in the air? Once? At all? I don't understand.

Running every single play accomplishes three things:
1. Mitigates risk by putting the ball in the air; Jordan was off all night.
2. Bleed the clock, which should be a secondary objective at that point. Why are you throwing at all????
3. Scoring. The way they were running against that tired D, they were 100% scoring with Dillon or a fresher Taylor.

Edit: I understand you MUST score, and it is difficult to manipulate the clock beyond that, but, again, we were running for 5+ a play.....

Instead, we throw repeatedly, stop the clock, and try ANOTHER reverse??? Just line up, run between the tackles, win the game.

Edit: Then ANOTHER reverse on the 2-pt attempt?? Come on....

This defense should also be embarrassed. How many times can you overrun DeVito and let him escape up the middle before you adjust AT ALL?? They were punked repeatedly by an undrafted rookie. The last drive speaks for itself. Way too easy, just pathetic.

Also, I told everyone that Nixon would cost us a game.

On a positive note, Tucker Kraft is a beast, I always liked him better than Musgrave, who can barely keep his feet.

So deflating after the last several weeks =(

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The dbs were right back to their normal ****! Guys were wide open all night. I could have made some of those throws as the butcher had nobody in his face either. Joe Barry there is NO reason to keep you!! I don't care who they hire..just nobody on the current staff!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The funny thing is, if the season ended today, we'd be in the playoffs with a game in Dallas. Lot of teams fighting for that last wild card spot though.

Honestly, I've just considered this season a learning experience. But as long as their learning, they might as well get some playoff experience too.