Frustraded with some Pro Bowl Selections

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its a shame that Clay didnt make the pro bowl and I think the Vikings have too many players in the pro bowl. Give me a break! Who do you guys think got gypped from the Packers? Driver? Grant? Mine is Matthews!

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver has been under-performing this year so no. Grant should have gotten the start over DeAngelo Williams for sure. Matthews should have gotten in IMO. The strangest thing though is that Hawk got in as an alternate and Barnett didn't even get in at all. Voters are puzzling. Is it because Hawk is more well-known? I don't know what else it could be.

A-Rod_is_God

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How well a player is known certainly plays a role in vote distribution. A perfect example is Tom Brady getting selected over Matt Schaub

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
How can you people put so much into a popularity contest voting ?

- Come on ... No one can be that gullible ... Ofcourse those players that are more known/famous will inevitably get more popular votes than those players that are really only known among the fans of that particular team ...

Fans across the States as well as the rest of the world who follow the NFL, are voting so it is not surprising that the "high profile" players will receive more attention than those who are not that well known (yet) ...

Further add the fact that the voting for the Pro Bowl starts after week 6 (early season) and is concluded before the last round of the regular season ...

Those team that fare well within that time frame will most likely (as seen every year) have more players with votes in the end ... Regardless of how their teams fare respectively throughout the season ...

Personally I just see the Pro Bowl as the NFL only milking the public for even more revenue than what the NFL already generates, as well as catering to the media, whom gets even more to write about ...

Honestly I don't really pay attention to the Pro Bowl as such ...

AlDay31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the way, as far as I'm concerned, RG is not even first alternate, does any of how has any idea, who is infront of Grant as well?
But the last poster is right, we shouldn't give a **** on the PB.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adrian Peterson,Steven Jackson, and DeAngelo Williams(in that order) are in front of Grant.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're gonna get some snubs every year. While it sucks for the guys (And I agree on Barnett and Grant. Grant is having a better year than Williams and Barnett has been playing much better than Hawk), I think they understand it's not the be-all, end-all of their football careers.

If GB does some damage in the playoffs and puts together a solid year next year, I imagine we'll see more guys in the starting roles.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I don't really think the Packers got all that screwed. Maybe a little.

I'd be throwing kittens off buildings, however, if I was a Bengals fan. 0 players from a division champion. Pa-wait for it-thetic.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if Minnesota makes it to the Super Bowl? That's 8 spots that'll open up for potential Packers because I'm sure none of them would risk injury a week before the Super Bowl.

It's a long shot, but possible.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
What if Minnesota makes it to the Super Bowl? That's 8 spots that'll open up for potential Packers because I'm sure none of them would risk injury a week before the Super Bowl.

Haha, I think we're looking forward to the flipside of this.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

SB team does not have any players in the pro bowl

NotSoSpecialTeams

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd rather bury myself in the ground than see Packer players take up spots left by Minnesota players simply because they made the SB. I'd take a victory against Minnesota in the NFC Championship game and a trip to the SB over having any players in the Pro Bowl.

As far as the selections, Matthews is the one who really got screwed here. Grant's still a little too up-and-down for me and first alternate sounds about right for him. Boy, this year's AFC RB group really blows the NFC's out of the water.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dude, seriously, stop. Just stop. I know you're a Minnesota fan since your boy Brett plays for them this year and all, but any true Packer fan would take a trip to the Super Bowl and zero pro-bowlers over filling 8 pro-bowl roster spots left open because our hated rival went to the Super Bowl. The assertion that we'd feel otherwise is ludicrous.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SB team does not have any players in the pro bowl

Uh, that's what I said. If Minnesota makes it to the SB, 8 slots should open up - unless I'm missing something.

It's just a thought I had to ease the pain of the whiners.

OP
OP
A12ROD903

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with everyone, the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest and the article that was posted earlier in the thread was right... the Packers are having a successful season due to them playing as a TEAM, not an individual. But it is fun to watch your fav Packer play and I believe it is an honor to be selected to the Pro Bowl. Oh well... we will see what happens next season after we make this playoff run.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think for the Pro Bowl, the fans should vote for the starters and then let the coaches and players choose the rest. Like baseball.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
If anything they should perhaps change the parametres for which a player is elected into the Pro-Bowl ...

Something like using regular seasonal stats and ratings when determining what players get in ... - *THEN* the fans can vote on those players who are in, as in regards to whom should start or not ...

That way, atleast it would "mean" something to get into the Pro Bowl, based on actual performance through out the year, and not just largely whether or not any given player has a larger "known factor" and gets in because the vast majority of fans probably can't name many players outside their respective team they are rooting for ...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Quientus-

That's not a bad idea.. Like have some kind of prerequisite to qualify for pro-bowl voting.

Plus they ought to wait until after the regular season ends to start the voting. If they kept the current format of having the pro-bowl the week before the Super Bowl, there's three weeks between when the regular season ends and the pro-bowl. This is plenty of time for players and coaches to vote, given that most teams are watching the playoffs from home.

Plus waiting until the end of the season would even things out a bit. Teams that might have started slower but are ending the season stronger would have as much of an opportunity to send more players as teams that started faster but are ending slower.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DRIVER. he has big games week in and week out.

Not this year - he cost me first place and a lot of money.

Actually, it was my fault for hanging with him. He produced early on, but I knew his numbers would dwindle as the season progressed. He's actually dropping more passes than I ever remember?!?!?

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did ndandrea watch the past few packer games????? I'm serious.

Driver fell off from where he was at the beginning of the year. That's very clear.

Members online

Latest posts