Free Agent WRs (and TEs) in 2023 Discussion...

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point/catch, although I hope it isn't too late, to find Dave Rayner, above ground. ;)
Very true. At least Rayner hit that long shot in December 2006 to beat the Vikings 9-7. His only highlight of his career. I believe it was TJacker's first start.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers are currently the NFL team spending the LEAST on receivers and tight ends and I'm not sure how Gute should address that but something needs to be done about that because I do NOT want to watch Gute treat Love like the Ravens treated Lamar (at least the Ravens had coaches who could coach an elite defense).

While I agree the Packers need to add talent at both wide receiver and tight end I don't necessarily agree that cap space spent on those positions is a useful metric to evaluate the talent level.

The Packers have three 2nd year WR's, 2 of which appear to be the real deal.

It's definitely too early to consider Doubs as a real deal. That might even be true for Watson as well.

Correction just record we also have oober athletic Bo Melton who Gute liked but didn’t get in the draft. He will feel comfortable here too as he and Watson were workout partners predraft.

I don’t expect him to be more than a WR4 and or rotational guy that could fight for return role although Nixon of course probably will.

The Packers can't continue to rely on players like Melton to develop into a decent receiver at the NFL level though. They have done that for too long while Rodgers was still around and failed miserably.

Very true. At least Rayner hit that long shot in December 2006 to beat the Vikings 9-7. His only highlight of his career. I believe it was TJacker's first start.

Actually my favourite highlights of Rayner are two field goals he made while playing for the Lions against the Bucs in week 15 of the 2010 season to tie the game at the end of regulation and win it in overtime. Without those kicks the Packers would have missed the playoffs that year.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers can't continue to rely on players like Melton to develop into a decent receiver at the NFL level though. They have done that for too long while Rodgers was still around and failed miserably.

LOL I don't believe they're relying on him in the sense of how you took that. Bottom of depth type guy will at most be flash in pan type guy, like Toure was last year. I was merely correcting the exclusion of him is all, due to how Gute and Co liked him pre draft and also his Watson connection. Honestly I think best case is Melton is like Toure, on our PS maybe an elevation or two when injuries hit or such.

You cannot forget building the bottom of the depth charts at the cost of solely focusing on the top shelf...a responsible and logical organization is constantly doing both.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom of depth type guy will at most be flash in pan type guy, like Toure was last year.
Why do you think Toure is a flash in the pan. He looked to have potential to me. He did not get a lot of chances.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you think Toure is a flash in the pan. He looked to have potential to me. He did not get a lot of chances.

Speaking solely to what he was in 2022. I'm not projecting anything on Toure yet - we haven't seen enough to judge his potential IMO. He however, was one of those depth/PS/elevate only types that showed flashes...to be fair so did Winfree as well...who last I checked cannot get on a roster now.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Gute and the Packers face an interesting and new juggling act this season. Gute's previous seasons, were ones that the team had legit Super Bowl aspirations.

With Love taking over at QB and the team trying to clean-up some of the many cans that they have kicked down the road, what should their expectations of the 2023 season be? More importantly, how do they match those expectations with what they do in the draft and Free Agency? While every teams goal is to win a Super Bowl each season, I don't think it is a realistic one this year for the Pack. Gute needs to view this as a season to get cap healthy, evaluate Love, as well as a lot of other young talent, all while keeping his job. Because if the Packers go 3-14, some will be screaming for him and MLF to be fired. I would say to those fans R-E-L-A-X.

Some have stated that they fear without Rodgers, the Packers will now look like the Packers of the 70's and 80's. I suppose anything is possible, but I believe that Free agency, as well as the salary cap, will allow the Packers to be back at the top, sooner than later.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree that every team's goal is to win a Super Bowl each season - yes, their GM or what not may use lines like "Our goal is to win the super bowl" or "We are chasing the Lombardi" or such but truthfully that's like saying my goal is a six pack, run a 4.5 forty and have less than 4% body fat when I start a weight loss plan...sure I'll write that crap down on the board of goals, but my focused main one would be lose 10-20 pounds, strengthen back some and just be healthier.

This team will now more than ever be building for 2024 and 2025 in mind, sure not at the cost of 2023 like some claim BUT don't be shocked if Gute makes some moves or picks that folks don't like (ala Rashan Gary) due to the now vs the future mentality. Personally I think Gute does better with building a roster than clinging to one like he has kinda allowed himself to be pegged into a corner on to a point.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will see if that is true soon enough IMO. The Jordan Love, AJ Dillon, J. Deguara draft class was definitely the roster building type as opposed to the "our goal is to win a SB" type. IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

LOL I don't believe they're relying on him in the sense of how you took that. Bottom of depth type guy will at most be flash in pan type guy, like Toure was last year. I was merely correcting the exclusion of him is all, due to how Gute and Co liked him pre draft and also his Watson connection. Honestly I think best case is Melton is like Toure, on our PS maybe an elevation or two when injuries hit or such.

You cannot forget building the bottom of the depth charts at the cost of solely focusing on the top shelf...a responsible and logical organization is constantly doing both.

I definitely agree the Packers need to build the bottom of the depth chart as well. Unfortunately they ignored the top of it at wide receiver and tight end for too long in the past.

To me, Melton seems similar to a lot of guys the team had a wide receiver over the past few years who might be good enough to stick around on the roster but hardly has an impact once forced on the field.

Toure is another one of those bottom of the depth chart guys fans put way too much expectations into.

Some have stated that they fear without Rodgers, the Packers will now look like the Packers of the 70's and 80's. I suppose anything is possible, but I believe that Free agency, as well as the salary cap, will allow the Packers to be back at the top, sooner than later.

There have been a lot of teams which have lacked success over the past 15 years. Free agency and the salary cap doesn't guarantee a team to be successful as long as they don't make smart moves in the draft and signing veteran players.

Personally I think Gute does better with building a roster than clinging to one like he has kinda allowed himself to be pegged into a corner on to a point.

It seems to me Gutekunst focuses too much on the future instead of making moves for the upcoming season as well. I agree that seems to be a smart approach this season with the team not being a legit contender but was a mistake over the past few years.

U.P. Packfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Toure is another one of those bottom of the depth chart guys fans put way too much expectations into.
Expectations may not be the correct term. Fans' expectations don't have any affect on how a player does. Years ago we took Donald Driver in the 7th round and he didn't do much for a year or two. He turned out to be pretty good! There was an old saying that it took 3 years for a WR to be ready. It may not be that way any more but it still might for some players. I don't know whether Toure will be great or not but neither does anyone else.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Expectations may not be the correct term. Fans' expectations don't have any affect on how a player does. Years ago we took Donald Driver in the 7th round and he didn't do much for a year or two. He turned out to be pretty good! There was an old saying that it took 3 years for a WR to be ready. It may not be that way any more but it still might for some players. I don't know whether Toure will be great or not but neither does anyone else.
You are correct, at this point, nobody knows what Toure's career will end up looking like. However, using Driver as an example of just how good a 7th round WR can be, is like using Tom Brady as an example of how good a 6th round QB can turn out. Historically speaking, odds are against Toure of becoming a WR as good as Driver, but I hope he beats the odds!

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am SOOOOO proud of everyone on this forum for NOT jumping in at noon and posting "we should sign DeAndre Hopkins right now, for whatever he wants!!". We're in the initial recovery stages of cap-hell and don't need Gute doing something dumb like signing Hopkins to a 3yr, $80Mil deal with 3 dummy years tacked onto the backend. Let the youngins grow together on offense, get cap-healthy and take the NFC by storm in '24.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am SOOOOO proud of everyone on this forum for NOT jumping in at noon and posting "we should sign DeAndre Hopkins right now, for whatever he wants!!". We're in the initial recovery stages of cap-hell and don't need Gute doing something dumb like signing Hopkins to a 3yr, $80Mil deal with 3 dummy years tacked onto the backend. Let the youngins grow together on offense, get cap-healthy and take the NFC by storm in '24.
I've also read online people speculating that the Packers might trade to get Davante Adams back. DA would be a much better option than Hopkins, but I hope the Packers wouldn't even consider it. Too much in draft capital and cap to do that. Love Davante, but right now this team is seeing a youth movement and I would rather see that play out, as well as see what Love has. Reevaluate after this season.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Poker. Trading for DA with Love not AR at QB would be more stupider (for you Spanky) than some of the posts I have read on here.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither Hop or DA better wear a Green Bay uniform in 2023.

Now if Love proves he has it, and 2024 truly could be a Hurts like 2022 run by us….that’s when bringing in a veteran type guy that may still deliver WR1 type coverage makes sense. Now though? Absolutely not.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't mortgage the future with a developing team. The young guys need their reps and we need to see who they can build around moving forward. We got good value for Adams and Hop will take up lots of cap.

Reaction score
Yeah I know it’s risky going with a 1/2 dozen young players, but these guys need snaps and we need to see who’s going to separate from the pack. Next year we’ll have lots of both draft collateral and room to make a more dynamic FA move or two.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this year we get a few questions answered. Who will GB build around to develop a SB team? If we're 8-0 or something going into the trade deadline (which I seriously doubt) and we need another piece on offense then ya sure make a trade.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this year we get a few questions answered. Who will GB build around to develop a SB team? If we're 8-0 or something going into the trade deadline (which I seriously doubt) and we need another piece on offense then ya sure make a trade.
By the same token what do we do if we are 0-8?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Create "Fire MLF", "Fire Gute", "Fire Everyone" threads? ;)

I think there is a better chance of being 0-8, than 8-0. That said, I see something closer to a 3-5 record at that point in the season. As long as Love is progressing, the offense is trending up and Barry hasn't been fired yet, I see the Packers staying the course with developing and using the top 5 position in every round of the 2024 draft, as a positive thing towards getting back to winning more games in 2024 and beyond.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sell Bak, Aaron Jones, Campbell, etc.. We'd be looking at a high draft pick with a draft next year that's apparently loaded. We're not win now, of course it would be disappointing watching some of our developed players essentially suck. But we'd have to sell at the deadline for draft assets.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've also read online people speculating that the Packers might trade to get Davante Adams back. DA would be a much better option than Hopkins, but I hope the Packers wouldn't even consider it. Too much in draft capital and cap to do that. Love Davante, but right now this team is seeing a youth movement and I would rather see that play out, as well as see what Love has. Reevaluate after this season.

While I definitely agree the Packers shouldn't be interested in bringing Adams back (the Raiders won't trade him in the first place anyway) a team acquiring him would only take a cap hit of $24.29 million for having him on the roster for the next two seasons. That would definitely be enticing for a contender at this point.

Even if the Packers start 0-8 they wouldn't be in desperate need to do anything. It might be smart to trade some veteran players for additional draft picks though with Bakhtiari being the most valuable asset as he won't be here in 2024 anyway.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I definitely agree the Packers shouldn't be interested in bringing Adams back (the Raiders won't trade him in the first place anyway) a team acquiring him would only take a cap hit of $24.29 million for having him on the roster for the next two seasons. That would definitely be enticing for a contender at this point.

Even if the Packers start 0-8 they wouldn't be in desperate need to do anything. It might be smart to trade some veteran players for additional draft picks though with Bakhtiari being the most valuable asset as he won't be here in 2024 anyway.
Sounds like something they do in every pro sport. Once the season appears to be lost teams tank payroll and part with their big $ players. If we did have an 0-8 start MLF might find himself in trouble. I believe that in Forrest Gregg's initial season as the Packer HC the team started 1-7 but actually finished at 8-8.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like something they do in every pro sport. Once the season appears to be lost teams tank payroll and part with their big $ players. If we did have an 0-8 start MLF might find himself in trouble. I believe that in Forrest Gregg's initial season as the Packer HC the team started 1-7 but actually finished at 8-8.

I don't think you can LaFleur if the team struggles. The team this season will have very few actual expectations apart from seeing what they can put out there. If they suck, so be it. Let them build a contender again.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed MLF shouldn’t be fired unless he continues to not fire Barry if Barry’s side is TERRIBLE again. Otherwise I’d say firing MLF this year of all years would be a massively ignorant move IMO.

Members online

Latest posts