Free Agent WRs (and TEs) in 2023 Discussion...

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This should put an end to any rumor that the Raiders are still interested in Rodgers.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Conspiracy theory…jets and Rodgers slow playing it knowing value of what they give up only goes down longer this takes and in turn they have more to build with.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO if you thought (regardless of the AR outcome) the Packers were going to sign any of the players who get signed this week then you don't know how the GB FO works. IMO.
1. They concentrate on bringing their own FAs back first. Even if they had cap space they rarely sign big name expensive guys.
2. They concentrate on the draft.
3. They start to look into that 2nd and 3rd tier of FAs who may be able to add some depth or push for a starting spot.
4. They draft.
5. They take a look at their draft picks and a few UDFAs to determine any roster shortcomings then look for cuts or practice squad players who might be able to help.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Conspiracy theory…jets and Rodgers slow playing it knowing value of what they give up only goes down longer this takes and in turn they have more to build with.
Yeah....despite what some idiots think :rolleyes: the Packers have done some major Free agent signings at this time of the year in the past. But some people choose to see nothing and then write long diatribes on their opinion. Same people thinking nothing Rodgers does off field effects his marketability in a trade or the Packers desire to keep him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I mentioned something similar last week. Rodgers isn't stupid, he knows that if he is going to the Jets, he doesn't want his new team potentially losing valuable assets. Even if it means having to read "The Packers only got this much for Rodgers in a trade." Maybe a knock on his ego, but deep down he will have known that he screwed the Packers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah....despite what some idiots think :rolleyes: the Packers have done some major Free agent signings at this time of the year in the past. But some people choose to see nothing and then write long diatribes on their opinion. Same people thinking nothing Rodgers does off field effects his marketability in a trade or the Packers desire to keep him.

some of those same "idiots", me, even wrote about all the moves they made this year, last year, and the year before despite being "held hostage" according to some prior to the start of FA too.

For a guy who is always claiming to be above name calling and have nothing but respect for differing opinions, you just want to discuss them, you have a funny way of showing it LOL

But it is too bad, we entered this offseason flush with cap and cash ready to spend, spend, spend. Damn Rodgers ruined it all by not being traded yet before FA still hasn't started :)

Anyway, I have to think the general framework of the trade was in place before the Packers ever gave the Jets an opportunity to talk to Rodgers. I doubt it's being decided upon now. But I suppose, it could be a diabolical plan by Rodgers and the Jets to screw the Packers.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's what you got. One time, back in 2019 when they actually had cap space. There are plenty of times I have acted like an idiot, but IMO this is not one of them. I am starting to get the feeling I won't be invited to your birthday party, which is a shame since you have pointed out multiple times how much fun I must be at parties.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I will continue to feel otherwise.

That's perfectly fine. Just out of curiosity, do you believe Berrios would be an upgrade at wide receiver? With the Packers having re-signed Nixon they definitely won't be interested in bringing him in as a returner.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eye test. Kick returning depth is good. I fear Nixons sample size is small. Now you are the guy I count on to correct me but it seemed like Detroit game planned to not let him bounce it outside and he had a pedestrian day against them. WR wise it just seemed when a guy or 2 were out for the Jets and Berrios was used he had some big catches. It also seems GB almost always had a WR or 2 out last year. Again NFL experience and should come cheap. Two years ago I pushed for Willie Snead at WR and J. McKinnon at RB as cheap vet FAs. If you hit .500 in MLB you will be in the Hall of Fame.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nixon is a tough one for me. He was one that came in and absolutely made a difference on this team. Had the single biggest impact any player did for a few weeks there. But it was a small sample size. he's not overly fast. he's not quick twitch in my eyes, he's not explosive. He just finds an opening and goes. I think he was injured a bit in that last game too wasn't he? or entered the game with an injury? so maybe not 100%, but I don't know which way to go with him. I'm glad the re-signed him, i'm also glad they didn't give a big contract yet either.

D

Deleted member 6794

Eye test. Kick returning depth is good. I fear Nixons sample size is small. Now you are the guy I count on to correct me but it seemed like Detroit game planned to not let him bounce it outside and he had a pedestrian day against them. WR wise it just seemed when a guy or 2 were out for the Jets and Berrios was used he had some big catches. It also seems GB almost always had a WR or 2 out last year. Again NFL experience and should come cheap. Two years ago I pushed for Willie Snead at WR and J. McKinnon at RB as cheap vet FAs. If you hit .500 in MLB you will be in the Hall of Fame.

You're right that Nixon didn't put up solid numbers against the Lions in the regular season finale. I don't know if it was just one of those days or the Lions figured out a way to contain him.

Regrading Berrios, I haven't watched the Jets closely enough to make a fair evaluation of him as a receiver but his numbers aren't impressive at all. While he only missed a single game in four seasons he has caught 107 balls for 1,085 yards and five touchdowns in 65 games. I'm not sure he would present an upgrade over anyone who will end up on the roster in September.

Nixon is a tough one for me. He was one that came in and absolutely made a difference on this team. Had the single biggest impact any player did for a few weeks there. But it was a small sample size. he's not overly fast. he's not quick twitch in my eyes, he's not explosive. He just finds an opening and goes. I think he was injured a bit in that last game too wasn't he? or entered the game with an injury? so maybe not 100%, but I don't know which way to go with him. I'm glad the re-signed him, i'm also glad they didn't give a big contract yet either.

While it's true Nixon was dealing with a groin injury entering the game vs. the Lions he suffered that one two weeks earlier and was effective against the Vikings as well.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's perfectly fine. Just out of curiosity, do you believe Berrios would be an upgrade at wide receiver? With the Packers having re-signed Nixon they definitely won't be interested in bringing him in as a returner.
Any truth to the fact that we may sign Jarvis Landry?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As much truth to the fact of the Steelers, Eagles or several other teams in need of a WR signing him. This time of year, the "telephone game" is quite common. A reporter like Bill Barnwell will right a "legit" story about "players that teams might want to look at." For example, he mentioned Landry might be a fit in Green Bay, Cleveland or New Orleans. Talks about each teams needs and then the player himself. So another "writer" reads or sees this story and says "aha, Landry is linked to Green Bay, I'm going to say that there are rumors Green Bay is trying to sign him." Soon you have a 4th or 5th story about Landry buying a house in Green Bay.

Now of course, none of us in here can be accused of speculating. :whistling:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much truth to the fact of the Steelers, Eagles or several other teams in need of a WR signing him. This time of year, the "telephone game" is quite common. A reporter like Bill Barnwell will right a "legit" story about "players that teams might want to look at." For example, he mentioned Landry might be a fit in Green Bay, Cleveland or New Orleans. Talks about each teams needs and then the player himself. So another "writer" reads or sees this story and says "aha, Landry is linked to Green Bay, I'm going to say that there are rumors Green Bay is trying to sign him." Soon you have a 4th or 5th story about Landry buying a house in Green Bay.

Now of course, none of us in here can be accused of speculating. :whistling:
Now is a Landry better than a Sammy Watkins? And at 30 can he still stretch the field?

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think at this point we ride with what we got and develop JSN would go good with doubs and Watson could be lethal plus Love likes JSN

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take some fliers on some young guys and pay for whoever balls out

D

Deleted member 6794

I have absolutely no idea. Landry hasn't been that productive over the past two seasons though, therefore I would prefer the Packers to pass on him.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers are currently the NFL team spending the LEAST on receivers and tight ends and I'm not sure how Gute should address that but something needs to be done about that because I do NOT want to watch Gute treat Love like the Ravens treated Lamar (at least the Ravens had coaches who could coach an elite defense).

I get that it's (hopefully) only one season but it's the year that the team needs to evaluate a first-time QB and the Packers have NOT put him in a great position to get a lot of help from his skill position players.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet they lead or are one of the leaders in spending at other positions.

You cannot lead or be a leader of spending at every position.

I still think of what might have been if Amari could have at minimum been the slot we all hoped, but either way Gute and MLF has made it clear WR is a spot which additions are set to occur - I predict a FA addition or a veteran in the trade from Jets coming back (Corey Davis) + a draftee + Watson was a high investment draft pick + Doubs not a high cost pick BUT appears immense value if he even stays as he was and could be solid WR3 or WR4 for us.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I also don't think you spend money, just to spend it. The Packers have three 2nd year WR's, 2 of which appear to be the real deal. 2023 isn't a season where I think they are going to be competing for even a playoff spot. Sure, it would be nice to bring in a veteran WR, to help Love out, but I if they do, I wouldn't break the bank on one. Prefer seeing them draft a top TE and potentially a top WR and let Love and his young guys grow together. Also, signing an expensive FA WR only guarantees that you will spend a lot of money, doesn't necessarily guarantee that you will have an uninjured, high performing player.

As much as I would like to see Mason Crosby back, this is the year I would be fine, if they saved the money and tried to find his predecessor in the 7th round or an UDFA.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FTR I’d predict at a minimum we will add a pass catcher in one of our first three picks regardless of what picks we hold, it could be a high level TE but we will. I will even say I personally predict we will see us add a WR and a TE before the 5th ends. I’m about 99.9% sure of it and I would even say we are more likely to pick three pass catchers types (WR and TE) before the 6th than we won’t.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
FTR I’d predict at a minimum we will add a pass catcher in one of our first three picks regardless of what picks we hold, it could be a high level TE but we will. I will even say I personally predict we will see us add a WR and a TE before the 5th ends. I’m about 99.9% sure of it and I would even say we are more likely to pick three pass catchers types (WR and TE) before the 6th than we won’t.
Agree. With as deep at the this TE class apparently is, this is the year to double dip on them.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also don't think you spend money, just to spend it. The Packers have three 2nd year WR's, 2 of which appear to be the real deal. 2023 isn't a season where I think they are going to be competing for even a playoff spot. Sure, it would be nice to bring in a veteran WR, to help Love out, but I if they do, I wouldn't break the bank on one. Prefer seeing them draft a top TE and potentially a top WR and let Love and his young guys grow together. Also, signing an expensive FA WR only guarantees that you will spend a lot of money, doesn't necessarily guarantee that you will have an uninjured, high performing player.

As much as I would like to see Mason Crosby back, this is the year I would be fine, if they saved the money and tried to find his predecessor in the 7th round or an UDFA.

Correction just record we also have oober athletic Bo Melton who Gute liked but didn’t get in the draft. He will feel comfortable here too as he and Watson were workout partners predraft.

I don’t expect him to be more than a WR4 and or rotational guy that could fight for return role although Nixon of course probably will.

Members online

Latest posts