Free Agent WRs (and TEs) in 2023 Discussion...

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gesicki most likely will ask for too much money for it to make sense for the Packers to sign him.

Gesicki can ask for the world and won't get it.

He got paid as a TE on the franchise tag.

He won't make that much next season.

If Rodgers comes back, then Gesicki on a 1-2 year deal is reasonable.

D

Deleted member 6794

Gesicki can ask for the world and won't get it.

He got paid as a TE on the franchise tag.

He won't make that much next season.

If Rodgers comes back, then Gesicki on a 1-2 year deal is reasonable.

It's possible there's at least one team out there interested in paying Gesicki close to what he earned playing on the tag this season. Hopefully the Packers aren't the one though.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the cap situation being what it is, I think that this will be said about a lot of Free Agents.

Unfortunately...

This upcoming draft is once again vital to bridging the gap towards the next era of Packer football.

Gotta hit on the picks, develop the players completely, and actually fulfill a clear vision of what this team should be.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Unfortunately...

This upcoming draft is once again vital to bridging the gap towards the next era of Packer football.

Gotta hit on the picks, develop the players completely, and actually fulfill a clear vision of what this team should be.
Agreed. Which is why I wouldn't have minded a 4-13 season. The amount of draft capital they would have had by trading that 3rd pick, would have given them more whacks at it, not to mention better whacks picking 3rd in each round.

D

Deleted member 6794

With the cap situation being what it is, I think that this will be said about a lot of Free Agents.

Well, if the Packers want to take another run at a championship they can create enough cap space to be active in free agency. We'll see if that's the way they're headed within the next two months.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Which is why I wouldn't have minded a 4-13 season. The amount of draft capital they would have had by trading that 3rd pick, would have given them more whacks at it, not to mention better whacks picking 3rd in each round.

Well, if the Packers want to take another run at a championship they can create enough cap space to be active in free agency. We'll see if that's the way they're headed within the next two months.

This offseason is so damn tricky.

In what prism do you evaluate AR12?

Because everything revolves around his commitment to the Packers for at least another season.

Is he still a force mulitplier?

Is he now a game manager with a great legacy?

Hindsight always being 20/20, if you're getting top market pay for doing your job, then you join OTA's and whatever else necessary to enhance your chances of succeeding.

Either reconstruct and go with Rodgers again with less depth...

Or....

Build around Love, firesale players not on his timeline, gather assets, and reset for the future.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It sounds like Allen Robinson wants out of LA and they have agreed to try and trade him. The Rams are in a real pickle on this. Dead cap hit of $26.45 M if they outright cut him and not make it a June 1st or later cut. His $5.25M roster bonus kicks in on 3/19. Nobody is going to want to assume his current contract, thus the Rams are going to have to absorb a big chunk of it and maybe get a 5th round or later pick for him?

I've always liked Robinson, but the last 2 seasons he has battled injuries and in August he hits the magic 30 year old mark. I wouldn't want the Packers trading too much for him, nor should they take him with a $15+ M per year for 2 years contract either. That said, I could see him in GB, if the price is right and the Packers want to add some veteran talent at WR.

D

Deleted member 6794

It sounds like Allen Robinson wants out of LA and they have agreed to try and trade him. The Rams are in a real pickle on this. Dead cap hit of $26.45 M if they outright cut him and not make it a June 1st or later cut. His $5.25M roster bonus kicks in on 3/19. Nobody is going to want to assume his current contract, thus the Rams are going to have to absorb a big chunk of it and maybe get a 5th round or later pick for him?

I've always liked Robinson, but the last 2 seasons he has battled injuries and in August he hits the magic 30 year old mark. I wouldn't want the Packers trading too much for him, nor should they take him with a $15+ M per year for 2 years contract either. That said, I could see him in GB, if the price is right and the Packers want to add some veteran talent at WR.

In addition Robinson's base salary of $10 million and his roster bonus of $5.25 million are fully guaranteed. The Rams have already acknowledged they might have to pay a portion of that money to be able to trade him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sounds like there is a pretty good chance that the Vikings will be cutting Adam Thielen, if they can't work out a new deal or trade him by 3/17/2023, when his salary becomes fully guaranteed. I really doubt a trade happens, but I could see Thielen taking a pay cut, since he likes being a Viking.

If they do release him, definitely a guy that I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers take a look at. I don't think they need a real high end vet WR, but would prefer Thielen over Sammy Watkins, Cobb or Lazard.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sounds like there is a pretty good chance that the Vikings will be cutting Adam Thielen, if they can't work out a new deal or trade him by 3/17/2023, when his salary becomes fully guaranteed. I really doubt a trade happens, but I could see Thielen taking a pay cut, since he likes being a Viking.

If they do release him, definitely a guy that I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers take a look at. I don't think they need a real high end vet WR, but would prefer Thielen over Sammy Watkins, Cobb or Lazard.

I wouldn't mind the Packers signing Thielen to a reasonable deal either. They have to be aware that he's pretty old for a wide receiver as he will be 33 years old at the start of next season though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thielen has been pretty steady, but I think he's on a fast track to the end unfortunately. A team can still use a guy like him, he'll show up big in some moments, but he's not going to be that steady driving force on the field anymore. Or even close IMO.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Seems like the Packers and Cowboys have no real interest in signing OBJ. He held a private workout in Arizona yesterday and neither team sent someone to watch.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Did Woods and the Texans just set the price for FA WR's? Woods was mostly hurt in 2021 and although he was the leading receiver for the Titans last year, his numbers were way down.

Hard to believe that Lazard would be worth a lot more than him, but Woods might be viewed as guy that has already fully peaked?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Berrios has done nothing as a wide receiver over his rookie contract that results in me wanting the Packers to sign him. In addition I would prefer the team to re-sign Nixon to be their returner instead of him as well.
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I will continue to feel otherwise.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Apparently, OBJ wants $20M/year. :roflmao: Good luck!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Did Woods and the Texans just set the price for FA WR's? Woods was mostly hurt in 2021 and although he was the leading receiver for the Titans last year, his numbers were way down.

Hard to believe that Lazard would be worth a lot more than him, but Woods might be viewed as guy that has already fully peaked?

60% guaranteed for a guy on the back end of his career? Lol, gawd I'm glad we don't do garbage like that!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This should put an end to any rumor that the Raiders are still interested in Rodgers.

Members online

Latest posts