Free Agent WRs (and TEs) in 2023 Discussion...

Reaction score
Somewhat OTopic however, watching the Lions-Vikings game, having watched the Bears-Pack game the Packers are in for a difficult next 2-4 years in this division. The Lions have some really good talent at skill positions, Vikings have really good talent, Bears not so much but Fields has progressed a lot as a QB. The lions and Vikes defense are playing real tough, Bears defense with a group of "journeymen" (and lots of draft choices coming up) will improve and are still tough. GB needs skill position athletes at WR, TE and questions abound about QB for the future, not to mention their D is highly suspect and their $$$ situation is extremely difficult moving forward. Overall, this year will end up Vikes #1, Lions #2 (and will beat GB last game IMO), GB #3 and Bears at #4. Next year, Vikes and Lions play for #1, GB and Bears fight for #3 and 4 in the division.
Depends who we get as DC. As long as #12 is around we’ll be competitive. We had quite a few games that were very winnable. I don’t expect a 4-8 start two years in a row.

Yes we’re Cap heavy. But we still have some great talent on board and several Key defenders locked under contract. A good DC will take this group and replace Savage with someone like 2nd rounder J Pitre, who’s a difference maker. We’ll get Gary and Stoked back also. Good DC’s understand how to align players to their strength. Barry does not and he can’t even figure out how to shadow a running QB. He’ll keep 6 in the box Against 8 on Offense. Barry is the only DC i can recall who will purposely drop 8 Defenders and not have 1 Deep Safety. I’ve got the film to prove it.

It’s not ideal, but if we get this Defense playing to potential I think next years Offense will show some maturity over the island of 2022 WR misfits. Just look at what #9 and Doubs did. Those were 2 bullseye picks. #9 is possibly going Pro Bowl this season at his trajectory. Doubs is a 2nd Rounder that somehow made the 4th Round. Both guys are legit starters next season. If we add 1 good WR veteran and resign 1 of Cobb or Lazard? we’ll be much better to start 2023.

Let’s go get us a Stud TE (we finally have the resources) and you’ll see that GB is still in the drivers seat. If you put your $$ on us relegating to #3 or #4 in our North? My advice is be fully prepared to lose every dime

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Check his stats after leaving the Pack.

It's true Rison had another great year with the Chiefs before regressing but there's no denying he didn't put up impressive numbers while with the Packers.
The Lions have some really good talent at skill positions, Vikings have really good talent, Bears not so much but Fields has progressed a lot as a QB.

Fields is a dangerous threat running the ball but he still can't throw it at a high level.

Next year, Vikes and Lions play for #1, GB and Bears fight for #3 and 4 in the division.

In my opinion that's a pessimistic point of view as long as Rodgers stays around.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somewhat OTopic however, watching the Lions-Vikings game, having watched the Bears-Pack game the Packers are in for a difficult next 2-4 years in this division. The Lions have some really good talent at skill positions, Vikings have really good talent, Bears not so much but Fields has progressed a lot as a QB. The lions and Vikes defense are playing real tough, Bears defense with a group of "journeymen" (and lots of draft choices coming up) will improve and are still tough. GB needs skill position athletes at WR, TE and questions abound about QB for the future, not to mention their D is highly suspect and their $$$ situation is extremely difficult moving forward. Overall, this year will end up Vikes #1, Lions #2 (and will beat GB last game IMO), GB #3 and Bears at #4. Next year, Vikes and Lions play for #1, GB and Bears fight for #3 and 4 in the division.
You are right on that the division is getting much tougher. As was inevitable. I just don't have the same attitude as many in regard to TE. I would prefer to see the early picks going for O and D line than TE. And there is a lot of potential at W/O now imho. We do need to keep A. Jones as I just don't see Dillon as being the one to carry a running game. He is an excellent ground it out 2nd back and has good hands. I just see him more as a compliment. It's the time for Rodgers to go to San Fran. So I hope they don't go far in the playoffs. We need to load up in order to win the division in the future.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
The lions and Vikes defense are playing real tough, Bears defense with a group of "journeymen" (and lots of draft choices coming up) will improve and are still tough.
I've been saying this for a while now. MN's defense stinks. They are not real tough. In fact, they are not even tough. Any stat or metric you look at tells this story. They have given up 313 points on the season ranking them 24th overall for points allowed. They have given up 3733 yards passing, which is worst in the league. Goff gashed them through the air again yesterday throwing for 330 yards and 3 TDs. They're not even that great against the run. They are ranked 16th in the league, so right in the middle. On average, they've given up 24 ppg and seem to be trending in the wrong direction.
Next year, Vikes and Lions play for #1, GB and Bears fight for #3 and 4 in the division.
I definitely think the Packers can compete with both MN and DET. They should have beat DET the first time around and MN is smoke and mirrors. Again, look at their defensive stats above. The Packer have some holes to fill, but so do all the teams in the NFC North. GPG!

D

Deleted member 6794

I just don't have the same attitude as many in regard to TE. I would prefer to see the early picks going for O and D line than TE.

As long as the Packers hold on to Jenkins tight end is the most pressing need on the offense. I hope the defense is capable of improving by moving on from Barry and replacing him with another defensive coordinator. Therefore if Mayer is around at the time the team is on the clock in the first round they should select him.

It's the time for Rodgers to go to San Fran. So I hope they don't go far in the playoffs.

The Niners currently don't have a single pick in the first four rounds of next year's draft. There's zero chance the Packers are trading Rodgers to them.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Niners currently don't have a single pick in the first four rounds of next year's draft. There's zero chance the Packers are trading Rodgers to them.
Truth be told, I would not mind getting the picks for the year after, even two. I just am not in the camp of win now no matter the future.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The TE I'd really love to have is a kid in Georgia who's a sophomore now. He won't be eligible till the 2024 draft but he's a beast.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The TE I'd really love to have is a kid in Georgia who's a sophomore now. He won't be eligible till the 2024 draft but he's a beast.

Don’t overlook the one that is eligible, Darnell is no slouch and a BIG STRONG ATHLETIC MAN.

D

Deleted member 6794

Truth be told, I would not mind getting the picks for the year after, even two. I just am not in the camp of win now no matter the future.

The Packers trading Rodgers would clearly indicate they aren't in a win now mode anymore.

With that being said it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to trade him for picks in future years as there's a decent chance those selections would end up being at the end of each round, especially when trading him to a team like the Niners which are capable of winning without an elite quarterback.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers trading Rodgers would clearly indicate they aren't in a win now mode anymore.

With that being said it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to trade him for picks in future years as there's a decent chance those selections would end up being at the end of each round, especially when trading him to a team like the Niners which are capable of winning without an elite quarterback.
Well, it may be the only place Rodgers is willing to go to and we would be giving him something in return for his years of service. Rodgers does not have much time left. So if SF is willing to give us their future draft picks; I would take them.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, it may be the only place Rodgers is willing to go to and we would be giving him something in return for his years of service. Rodgers does not have much time left. So if SF is willing to give us their future draft picks; I would take them.
Feel like that's the only way it would happen. I could see us making a trade for picks a few years away...or immediate picks from a team who is drafting later in the round, but not far-away picks from a team likely to be drafting late in the round. SF would be what, 25th or something this year? I can only assume with a year of consistent QB play they would be drafting around that spot, if not further...

Broadly speaking you often see it said that for a next-year pick to be "worth" as much as a this-year pick it has to be a round earlier - i.e. a 2023 2nd is "worth" about the same as a 2024 1st. In that sense... SF would need to pay a TON in 2024 draft capital to make it "worth it" for us in 2023.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if we trade Rogers *** to someplace he’d never go, that way he retires which I think might be the most cap friendly way out of this mess LOL. OK that’s a pipe dream. Rogers is too addicted to people fawning over him to retire right now. We’re stuck.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers doesn't have a no-trade clause in his contract. He could only nix a deal by retiring.

In my opinion it doesn't make sense to trade him for future picks that will probably end up at the end of each round at all.

What if we trade Rogers *** to someplace he’d never go, that way he retires which I think might be the most cap friendly way out of this mess LOL. OK that’s a pipe dream. Rogers is too addicted to people fawning over him to retire right now. We’re stuck.

As I explained in another thread the Packers will take the some amount of dead money counting against their cap either by trading Rodgers or him retiring.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers ****** us by signing that contract dude. He ain’t a Brady. Didn’t take less money to make the team better. The man is without a doubt arguably the best QB of all time, but is the most selfish, self centered ***** in football.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers ****** us by signing that contract dude. He ain’t a Brady. Didn’t take less money to make the team better. The man is without a doubt arguably the best QB of all time, but is the most selfish, self centered ***** in football.

It's ridiculous to criticize a player for wanting to get paid at market value. BTW Brady taking less money to help the Patriots surround him with better talent is a myth.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If they can spend on WR at all, keeping Lazard would be my preference by a long shot.

The only other FA I find interesting is Jakobi Meyers. However, if he makes it to the open market, he's going to get way overpaid because the demand is going to outstrip the supply at WR. And while I would be happy to have Meyers on the team, he would be a progress-stopper in front of Doubs as they would play a similar role in the offense. If you're running it back and going all in, you don't let that stop you. But Lazard's role as a power slot, especially in condensed sets, isn't redundant to anyone else on the roster.

Watson
Lazard
Doubs

That's a good start. Add another weapon, preferably one with who can threaten in motion and after the catch, and I think you've got a good, diverse corps.

At tight end, the options aren't amazing, but they're better. If Lewis wants to come back, I do that. And then here are the names to watch:

Y Tight Ends; In-line blockers who are good enough to block play-side (rarely split out)

-M. Lewis, Green Bay, 38
-A. Shaheen, Miami, 28
-J. James, Cleveland, 28

F Tight Ends; Primarily receivers who play heavily in the slot (usually split out)

-M. Gesicki, Miami, 27
-E. Engram, Jacksonville, 28
-I. Smith, Minnesota, 24 (H traits as well)
-R. Tonyan, Green Bay, 28

U Tight Ends; Dual threat in-line tight ends who aren't good enough to block play-side (can still split out)

-D. Schultz, Dallas, 26
-F. Moreau, Raiders, 25
-H. Hurst, Cincinnati, 29
-A. Hooper, Tennessee, 28

I'm sure there are more who belong on these lists, but I'm not familiar enough with them. Irv Smith intrigues me, given how young he is. Foster Moreau is also a guy who I think could be a better version of Robert Tonyan.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they can spend on WR at all, keeping Lazard would be my preference by a long shot.

The only other FA I find interesting is Jakobi Meyers. However, if he makes it to the open market, he's going to get way overpaid because the demand is going to outstrip the supply at WR. And while I would be happy to have Meyers on the team, he would be a progress-stopper in front of Doubs as they would play a similar role in the offense. If you're running it back and going all in, you don't let that stop you. But Lazard's role as a power slot, especially in condensed sets, isn't redundant to anyone else on the roster.

Watson
Lazard
Doubs

That's a good start. Add another weapon, preferably one with who can threaten in motion and after the catch, and I think you've got a good, diverse corps.
Yes, I agree. I'm hopeful that Toure might be able to fill that role you are talking about. He has impressed the little he has been out there. I just don't know nor have a feel about all those TEs. I do not feel pressed about them like a lot of people. They have been underutilized and used mainly in the flat (which is not good). imho

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've said in the past, counting on a rookie TE to contribute in a meaningful way during their rookie contract is historically a really bad bet. The best returns on getting a TE tend to be signing a TE that disappointed on his rookie contract in free agency (someone like Schultz). Yes, there are obviously exceptions to this but the best returns tend to come from signing a cheap, free agent TE who is just coming into his own in the NFL.

Reaction score
As I've said in the past, counting on a rookie TE to contribute in a meaningful way during their rookie contract is historically a really bad bet. The best returns on getting a TE tend to be signing a TE that disappointed on his rookie contract in free agency (someone like Schultz). Yes, there are obviously exceptions to this but the best returns tend to come from signing a cheap, free agent TE who is just coming into his own in the NFL.
Yes. Similar to Cook. He fit right in from go. I was sad to see us not resign him. That sideline catch to put the Cowboys away was a career moment.

I wouldn’t mind resigning 1 of our own, bringing in a moderately priced FA and drafting one by Round 4 (or before)

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I am all for resigning or signing a reasonable TE and drafting Mayer or others later. For the record I 100% believe Michael Mayer will be our leading TE target, yards and ypc his rookie year regardless of who signs with us.

D

Deleted member 6794

I truly believe Mayer would be able to be an exception. I agree there's not another tight end available in the draft who might end up having an immediate impact though.

Yes. Similar to Cook. He fit right in from go. I was sad to see us not resign him. That sideline catch to put the Cowboys away was a career moment.

It even took Cook some time to contribute. He had 31 or less receiving yards in six of his first seven games with the Packers, in five of them he even had less than 20.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Three other TEs that I feel could hold a better than most chance of impacting rookie year but each differently and depends what you feel is “impact”

Dalton Kincaid - this cat has catching skills many WRs do not have. While he might struggle for snaps for blocking, he would be VERY tough to keep on sideline given his receiving ability to produce yards and make catches.

Darnel Washington. - this dude is massive, bigger than Mayer but showcases his athleticism when asked when needed greatly. He is not Michael Mayer but he has the size, strength, hands and route ability to kinda be a do it all type like Mayer. If he absorbs the playbook well I could see him being everything Mayer most likely will be, but if he doesn’t progress he could quickly be that TE2/3 that never lives up to his physical potential.

Tucker Kraft - This dude turned down many big school chances for South Dakota State. He blocks incredibly well, has hands and has that unusually krafty (pun intended) ability to get space and slip seams.

Those are the only TEs that I personally see as guys that might be a teams #1 TE at least in snap counts for their team out the gate.

There are others to like for various, albeit more limited aspects of their games, reasons.

Members online

Latest posts