free agent running backs for 08'

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think without a doubt we can all agree running back is our top off-season priority. I know some wil say B- Jack will come around but hey this is the NFL and time is money, I think the Packers wil either spend big big bucks on a back in offseason or we will again give a shot at the draft. I honestly can say we are NOT going to be in the super bowl unless we have a run game better than dead last in the league. Thats being realistic.

Can anyone pinpoint a list of free agent backs as well as weakside linebacker...... I think you see Poppinga out of the starting lineup next year. The Pack is literally 3 or 4 players away from being the superbowl contended we all want.

STEVE SLATON+ Free agent LB =08' NFC CHAMPS

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still like Poppinga. He's solid in run defense. Liability in pass defense but most linebackers are these days. I was watching NFL Network the other day and they were talking about how a lot of linebackers struggle via the pass. I'm not sure your going to find a better SLB than Poppinga on the market that is solid against the pass.

100% with you on Jackson though. Michael Turner will be a free agent and San Diego is going to let him go.

I also think Julius Jones is a free agent too.

I'd go after Turner. He's like a bowling ball when he runs.

OP
OP
B

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im with you on popping being a DECENT run defender but i mean hes by no means a aj hawk or barnett, just imagine if we got a top tier weakside LB and a great free agent HB,

I cant honetly think of any other position of need. Maybe a solid tackle, Clifton's days appear numbered as MM publicly called him put....to my estimation that was the first time he publicly called out a player, there has to be some resentment of his play behind closed doors!

I still say we insert those postions and were super bowl contenders, i dont think we are this year. Im sorry to say that but i wouldnt say it if i didnt believe it

OP
OP
B

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RB Derrick Ward UFA New York Giants

RB Justin Fargas UFA Oakland Raiders

RB Michael Turner UFA San Diego Chargers

RB Chris Brown UFA Tennessee Titans

LB Kawika Mitchell UFA New York Giants

LB Boss Bailey UFA Detroit Lions

here are some free agents i came up with. There are very few running backs with talent available in FA this year, and LB is the same. But i think these are some decent ones that could make a difference

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we not in the middle of the current season and 5-1?

What's with all the "is this guy a bust?" and "who should we pick up next year?" stuff?

whatever, I won't poop in your cheerios, carry on.

I'll just enjoy the ride with this current team.

OP
OP
B

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz i just am saying if we want to be in the top tier of the league.....measures need to be taken. I thought the goal of the NFL was to win the Super Bowl, maybe im wrong

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the bidding war for Turner will be ridiculous, TT wont compete for him, its not the Packers style.

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i like the idea of turner but if hes too expensive we could go after fargas

As for LB boss bailey is better then Kawika Mitchell cos mitchell Plays 3-4

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the bidding war for Turner will be ridiculous, TT wont compete for him, its not the Packers style.

exactly... and im not sure we wanna compete for him. I know he looks good out there, but hes running behind a good run line, and subbing for one of the most gameplanned against players in the league right now. It kinda opens up holes.

not saying hes good... just not enough evidence to get into a huge bidding war. I honestly dont think we will go after a running back next year. maybe one in the draft depending on if he fits the scheme and is the bpa. I think Wynn, Jackson, Herron will be our guys.

I would love to see another guard or tackle brought in, depending on where the coaches think colledge will best succeed.

I like Popp, but he is the Hillenmeyer of our kick *** LB group. Im more hoping that a LB already on the roster will step up and take his place if need be. I love some of our backup LBs.

i dont wanna make too many changes though... pretty hard to get better than 5-1. I mean if we beat the broncos and the chiefs the next two weeks.... we would likely be tied with New England or Indy in the overall standings... thats pretty damn elite if you ask me.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
tromadz i just am saying if we want to be in the top tier of the league.....measures need to be taken. I thought the goal of the NFL was to win the Super Bowl, maybe im wrong

Didnt know the sb was played this year all ready

Reaction score
I think it would be more appropriate to focus on the o-line rather than try and sign a RB. McCarthy has talked a lot about how this o-line has struggled with fundamentals essential to running success.

On a couple of instances, when our O-linemen have had the opportunity to block a player at the second level, they've whiffed.

You could have Tomlinson, LJ, or Frank Gore as a RB but if the o-line has dreadful execution then you aren't going to get anywhere.

That's why I'd rather focus our attentions to pay a G or T that can bring better execution to our o-line in both the passing and running games.

Either that or I'd focus on getting a coach highly efficient in the ZB scheme that can get the o-linemen we currently have (who were drafted because they fit the ZB scheme) to execute the proper way. If you think the guys are capable of doing what you want, but just aren't doing it then you gotta shift the focus to the people that are responsible for getting the guys to do what they should... the coaches.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spend big money on a FA rb = bad idea and fools gold. Ask Arizona Cardinals. Shaun Alexander was considered the best in the league 2 years ago. Would you even want him on your team right now?

I'd say keep the guys we have and develop them. I think they will be good enough if we get O-Line help in the offseason. Maybe 2 really good offensive lineman and any of our rb's will do well. If we get Turner and leave our O-Line as is, the result wont be much better. Unless there is a rb who is excellent at receiving i say why bother. Bush isnt available and neither is LT or Westbrook. They are the only guys who can make a difference with our O-line as is with their receiving skills.

I dont like Po;inga as a full time starter. If we can replace him or get a guy to share time with him who is good on 2nd and 3rd down passing situations, it would help our team out alot.

We dont have a RB problem. We have an O-line problem, pass coverage linebacker problem and safety concern although not as big a concern as it was in the beginning of the year.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im with you on popping being a DECENT run defender but i mean hes by no means a aj hawk or barnett, just imagine if we got a top tier weakside LB and a great free agent HB,

I cant honetly think of any other position of need. Maybe a solid tackle, Clifton's days appear numbered as MM publicly called him put....to my estimation that was the first time he publicly called out a player, there has to be some resentment of his play behind closed doors!

I still say we insert those postions and were super bowl contenders, i dont think we are this year. Im sorry to say that but i wouldnt say it if i didnt believe it

Poppinga is actually a Strong Side Linebacker and Hawk is our weak side backer.

I think GB has more of a concern on the offensive line, tight end, and nickel back than I do linebacker.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with allabout.........the O-line is the REAL weakness. Seriously, if we can get that fixed NOW, i think our running game would be fine. No RB is gonna be able to make holes by himself. Our RB's will do fine IF we can get someone to actually BLOCK for them.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only running back that could do well with our current line's ability is Barry Sanders. He did it every year with no holes in Detroit.

I don't care who is back there. They can't run through a wall. (our offensive line).

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I agree with pretty much everyone else. I would be happy with just upgrading our O-Line somehow quite a bit next offseason. Whether that be coaches, players, whatever. Sink some cash into this line, and we would really be an amazing team. Think about it, Favre having even BETTER pass protection (like Tom Brady), AND a good running game. I'd say with our WR core, we'd be pretty much unstoppable, along with our defense, even with POPP.

After fixing our O-Line a little better, then I'd like to see a little more quality depth in the defensive backfield (start establishing people to take over for Woodson and Harris in a few years), and then maybe worry about POPP if the ideal situation comes up or something beats him out. If POPP is our biggest concern, then we are doing pretty darn good.

If we had a top tier offensive line, we would be competing with an equal chance to win with New England.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that's seems sure is that Turner will make it to FA. The Chargers said they were taking no trade talks this year for him.

I may be wrong but instead of bringing in a FA LB I wouldn't mind seeing some of our own young guys get a shot. They are young now but our depth there seems to have talent

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson did go out and outbid Tampa for Woodson and a few teams for Pickett. I'm not saying he will but if TT likes Turner enough, I'm sure he'll go after him.

Again we need offensive lineman too. I think it would be wise to find a new tackle and at least one more guard to replace Colledge.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Now won't this be a decent midseason pickup for the Packers.. he would probably make it through waivers with the contract he signed this offseason.

Figured on of them backs out there have to go with Bush comming off the PUP.

RAIDERS THINKING ABOUT DUMPING RHODES

A league source tells us that the Oakland Raiders are contemplating the possibility of releasing running back Dominic Rhodes.

Over the weekend, Jay Glazer of FOX reported that Rhodes had been available via trade.

If Rhodes is released, he will be required to first pass through waivers. If he clears waivers, he will be an unrestricted free agent.

Rhodes arguably should have been named the MVP of Super Bowl XLI. He left the Colts via unrestricted free agency, and he prepped for his foray into free agency by peeing all over himself in the back of a police cruiser. Allegedly. He later was suspended for the first four games of the 2007 season for violation of the substance-abuse policy.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now won't this be a decent midseason pickup for the Packers.. he would probably make it through waivers with the contract he signed this offseason.

Figured on of them backs out there have to go with Bush comming off the PUP.

PFT said:
RAIDERS THINKING ABOUT DUMPING RHODES

A league source tells us that the Oakland Raiders are contemplating the possibility of releasing running back Dominic Rhodes.

Over the weekend, Jay Glazer of FOX reported that Rhodes had been available via trade.

If Rhodes is released, he will be required to first pass through waivers. If he clears waivers, he will be an unrestricted free agent.

Rhodes arguably should have been named the MVP of Super Bowl XLI. He left the Colts via unrestricted free agency, and he prepped for his foray into free agency by peeing all over himself in the back of a police cruiser. Allegedly. He later was suspended for the first four games of the 2007 season for violation of the substance-abuse policy.

The guy has done absolutely nothing worthwhile since 2001. Leave it up to the Raiders to give a guy like this big money.

We need a running back who is a great receiving threat, not a guy who peed all over himself. Didnt we have a guy who crapped all over himself? Or was that some college chics closet. Either way, Just Say No!!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
The guy has done absolutely nothing worthwhile since 2001. Leave it up to the Raiders to give a guy like this big money.

We need a running back who is a great receiving threat, not a guy who peed all over himself. Didnt we have a guy who crapped all over himself? Or was that some college chics closet. Either way, Just Say No!!

Did you watch the superbowl in this year? Can he possibly not help the inexperience we have for the rest of this year?

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

Did you watch the superbowl in this year? Can he possibly not help the inexperience we have for the rest of this year?

2001 IND 233 1104 4.7 77 9 57 29 55 5 5 GOOD YEAR
2002 NOTHING
2003 IND 37 157 4.2 25 0 6 1 5 0 0 157 YARDS
2004 IND 53 254 4.8 55 1 16 7 18 1 1 250 YARDS
2005 IND 40 118 3 24 4 11 6 16 0 0 100 YARDS 3/YPC
2006 IND 187 641 3.4 17 5 38 20 56 2 2 187 YDS 3.4/YPC
2007 OAK 9 21 2.3 11 0 1 2 3 0 0 MORE CRAP 2.3 YPC

I prefer to look at his proven track record (the last 6 years) rather than one game (Superbowl). Easy to run the ball when you have Peyton Manning zinging the ball all over the field and nobody pays attention to you.

What has he proven except that he can pee all over himself and violate league substance abuse policies while not being a productive running back?

Lets not add this garbage to a bunch of young rbs who might be negatively effected.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I'll agree with the others who say we really need to address the problems on the OL before we worry about the problems behind it, I do think we need to look to upgrade the RB position if nothing else to find some players who can stay healthy. Starting to see some comments here and there hinting at the fact that Morency, Jackson and Wynn aren't willing to play through the pain of the normal bumps and bruises players in the NFL experience.

The best running back in the world doesn't do you much good standing on the sidelines in street clothes.

Members online

Latest posts