Free Agency Thread

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trying to understand #1. So if Dillard plays, it will mean the OL has suffered up to 3 injuries?

I see him playing for one of those two reasons? #1 he continues to be less than his physical profile and expectations have or were for him when coming out...meaning likely would have to lose a guy or two along our starters for him to be in there OR #2 plays out.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see him playing for one of those two reasons? #1 he continues to be less than his physical profile and expectations have or were for him when coming out...meaning likely would have to lose a guy or two along our starters for him to be in there OR #2 plays out.
Got it, thanks. I don't know much about the guy. Gluten must see some possibility where he plays or he wouldn't give him training snaps. Either way, there is little to lose. I take it that at one time the guy was pretty good and fell off.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got it, thanks. I don't know much about the guy. Gluten must see some possibility where he plays or he wouldn't give him training snaps. Either way, there is little to lose. I take it that at one time the guy was pretty good and fell off.

Truthfully it was a no brainer. HIGH HIGH level prospect when he came out, has some starting experience and injuries. He was bad last year - worst case we are out VERY little for a oober athletic OL prospect many felt would be a starter in the league, best case he finally becomes what many thought he would be and challenges one of the two tackle positions.

For those that don't remember or know his profile:

He is only 28.6 years old still today
6'5' 315lbs
33.5 inch arms
10 inch hands
9.79 RAS

Drafted 22nd overall in the first round of the 2019 draft
Rookie year all but 34 snaps of his 310 came at LT (those 34 were RT)
2020 - he never played due to bicep injury
2021 - he started week 3 through week 6 at LT and played 25 more snaps in week 7 and 8 at LT
2022 - barely played and fractured arm
2023 - played for the Titans and started many of the weeks at LT for them (only played LT for them all 562 snaps)

PFF grade overall was 51.0 last year with his rblk being 56.6 and pblk being 47.4

Our main five OL guys overall offense PFF grades were- Rasheed Walker 66.4 / Jenkins 65.4 / Myers 55.8 / Runyan 54.7 / Tom 77.8

I mildly wonder if GB might consider trying Dillard at RG honestly. His profile and strength could succeed in there.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't know that. So had he taken the extension, it would have provided financial stability in the case of injury? That's a bit redundant, he did get injured.

I'm not that familiar with his situation. So he passed on an extension hoping to get a bigger deal in FA?
Tonyan had signed his RFA tender in May of '21 for $3.4mil. GB added some void years to reduce cap# and possibly aid in an extension. I had "heard" that Tonyan wanted considerably more $/yr than GB had in mind so don't believe there was an official offer on the table... & that Gute was going to wait until late season. Knee injury happened in week 8 negating any big deal.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tonyan had signed his RFA tender in May of '21 for $3.4mil. GB added some void years to reduce cap# and possibly aid in an extension. I had "heard" that Tonyan wanted considerably more $/yr than GB had in mind so don't believe there was an official offer on the table... & that Gute was going to wait until late season. Knee injury happened in week 8 negating any big deal.
Thx for the background. I remember him being a decent TE, certainly not much more than JAG.

I'm hoping that Musgrave and Kraft step up their solid rookie game a notch.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Truthfully it was a no brainer. HIGH HIGH level prospect when he came out, has some starting experience and injuries. He was bad last year - worst case we are out VERY little for a oober athletic OL prospect many felt would be a starter in the league, best case he finally becomes what many thought he would be and challenges one of the two tackle positions.

For those that don't remember or know his profile:

He is only 28.6 years old still today
6'5' 315lbs
33.5 inch arms
10 inch hands
9.79 RAS

Drafted 22nd overall in the first round of the 2019 draft
Rookie year all but 34 snaps of his 310 came at LT (those 34 were RT)
2020 - he never played due to bicep injury
2021 - he started week 3 through week 6 at LT and played 25 more snaps in week 7 and 8 at LT
2022 - barely played and fractured arm
2023 - played for the Titans and started many of the weeks at LT for them (only played LT for them all 562 snaps)

PFF grade overall was 51.0 last year with his rblk being 56.6 and pblk being 47.4

Our main five OL guys overall offense PFF grades were- Rasheed Walker 66.4 / Jenkins 65.4 / Myers 55.8 / Runyan 54.7 / Tom 77.8

I mildly wonder if GB might consider trying Dillard at RG honestly. His profile and strength could succeed in there.
Thx for the details. It will be interesting to see how the OL shakes out this year. There are established starters and with the exception of Myers, most of the guys can play anywhere on the line. I do hope that Tom stays at RT. There's been some speculation about moving him to RG, and while he'd do fine there, he is much more valuable at T.

It will be interesting to see where Morgan plays. They didn't draft him in the first round as a back up.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thx for the details. It will be interesting to see how the OL shakes out this year. There are established starters and with the exception of Myers, most of the guys can play anywhere on the line. I do hope that Tom stays at RT. There's been some speculation about moving him to RG, and while he'd do fine there, he is much more valuable at T.

It will be interesting to see where Morgan plays. They didn't draft him in the first round as a back up.

I actually am a rather strong advocate of if Morgan can start at LT you really have to see if Walker can do the same at RT he did at LT - that IMMEDIATELY fortifies the line with Tom as your new center or RG and the starting five is a LOT better IMO. Not saying it happens but the logic to me personally is sound in possibly doing it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Not even close to how I see it.

If Dillard is playing...

#1 - Our OL room suffers not one, not two but likely minimum three injuries to the room.
#2 - Dillard meets his physical make up and it comes together providing a sufficient Tackle or RG starter.
Dillard opened OTAs as the starting RT. Zach is out injured.

Reaction score
I do hope that Tom stays at RT. There's been some speculation about moving him to RG, and while he'd do fine there, he is much more valuable at T.

Totally agree with that first point on Tom. Hes a Bonafide RT and those are valuable. Only reason I see him playing inside is temporary if there’s an injury.

Andy Herman reported Jordan Morgan was getting reps behind Walker (LT) and Andre Dillard (RT) at both LT and RT. Obviously way early in, but LaFleur said Morgan’s head was spinning having to learn both positions in this playbook.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wow.

Tough luck for Tonyan, but ultimately good for Green Bay. If not for the injury, they likely don't draft Musgrave & Kraft.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually am a rather strong advocate of if Morgan can start at LT you really have to see if Walker can do the same at RT he did at LT - that IMMEDIATELY fortifies the line with Tom as your new center or RG and the starting five is a LOT better IMO. Not saying it happens but the logic to me personally is sound in possibly doing it.
So much will depend on if Walker can hold down the LT position. If that happens, my guess is they'll move Morgan to RT and Tom to RG. Or maybe they start Morgan at RG. I like the idea of Tom at C, but what do they do with Myers? I think C is the only position he can play, but who knows.

Anyway this works out, it sure looks like a talented and deep OL.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree with that first point on Tom. Hes a Bonafide RT and those are valuable. Only reason I see him playing inside is temporary if there’s an injury.

Andy Herman reported Jordan Morgan was getting reps behind Walker (LT) and Andre Dillard (RT) at both LT and RT. Obviously way early in, but LaFleur said Morgan’s head was spinning having to learn both positions in this playbook.
Maybe they put Morgan in as RG. If Walker keeps up his excellent play, and Tom has anchored RT, move Morgan inside. I don't think he was drafted specifically as a T, but as a guy who could play multiple positions well. It's a good problem.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So much will depend on if Walker can hold down the LT position. If that happens, my guess is they'll move Morgan to RT and Tom to RG. Or maybe they start Morgan at RG. I like the idea of Tom at C, but what do they do with Myers? I think C is the only position he can play, but who knows.

Anyway this works out, it sure looks like a talented and deep OL.

Myers is an experienced insurance or trade bait for whatever you can get back if Monk shows promise of being a back up Center.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
First day of OTA's Jenkins was also working at C. Now that could possibly be due more to Tom and his pec injury keeping him out. "If" Myers ends up being the odd man out, and Morgan can't unseat Walker at LT this year, I like the idea of him playing LG, and Big E kicking in to C. I feel it would help build continuity between those two, playing next to each other, especially if they are our LT and LG possibly starting in 2025, with Monk or Tom taking over at C. For 2024, I prefer Tom at RT, especially after how he performed last year in that spot.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good to see Josh Jacobs is catching on to the Packers culture so quickly. He showed up to the first day of OTA's with a pulled hamstring. Not to be outdone, Zack Tom and Tucker Kraft have torn pectoral muscles that will sideline them at least until training camp 2 months from now. What is it with the non-contact soft tissue injuries ? Maybe they really are caused by a contagious disease in Green Bay.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Myers is an experienced insurance or trade bait for whatever you can get back if Monk shows promise of being a back up Center.
I forgot about Monk. Gluten really covered bases at OL, S, and LB in this draft. Good thing he had 11 picks.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per media, Kraft was not in a sling at his wedding earlier this year. Trip carrying his bride across the threshold? Over zealous honeymoon?
If Kraft exerted himself to the point that he tore a pectoral muscle carrying his bride, then perhaps she should try out for the Packers nose tackle position.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per media, Kraft was not in a sling at his wedding earlier this year. Trip carrying his bride across the threshold? Over zealous honeymoon?
From carrying her across the threshold, and too many push ups on their wedding night added to the problem. I wonder if that's the reason my high school coaches kept telling us that physical relations would sap our energy and we wouldn't play as good in games. Or, maybe they were cut off at home, and figured all us young turks should be too?

I think most of us listened to them during our first year of HS football. We went 0-8, so after that, we figured it was all BS. Anyhow, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I'd much rather see Morgan, assuming he plays up to his draft status, at LT. Tom is very versatile, so if Walker can work the RT gig, moving Tom to C is intriguing. There's no apparent lack of talent. It will be up to the coaches to decide the best configuration.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
From carrying her across the threshold, and too many push ups on their wedding night added to the problem. I wonder if that's the reason my high school coaches kept telling us that physical relations would sap our energy and we wouldn't play as good in games. Or, maybe they were cut off at home, and figured all us young turks should be too?

I think most of us listened to them during our first year of HS football. We went 0-8, so after that, we figured it was all BS. Anyhow, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Our coaches said, "we were looking for wormholes".

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Good to see Josh Jacobs is catching on to the Packers culture so quickly. He showed up to the first day of OTA's with a pulled hamstring. Not to be outdone, Zack Tom and Tucker Kraft have torn pectoral muscles that will sideline them at least until training camp 2 months from now. What is it with the non-contact soft tissue injuries ? Maybe they really are caused by a contagious disease in Green Bay.
You beat me to the punch!

WTF is in the water up there in Green Bay? Anti-Hammy Oxidants? I swear, something isn't right.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How does a player tear a pec in the offseason? No discipline, no oversight in the weight room is my guess. As for Jacobs and his hamstring, yeah it's a GB tradition. But really, the torn pecs **** me off. These guys have been lifting their entire athletic lives. A little common sense. Or how else does a pec get torn?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
How does a player tear a pec in the offseason? No discipline, no oversight in the weight room is my guess. As for Jacobs and his hamstring, yeah it's a GB tradition. But really, the torn pecs **** me off. These guys have been lifting their entire athletic lives. A little common sense. Or how else does a pec get torn?
A lot of these guys work out in the offseason, nothing wrong with that since some of them need it. So I really don't have a problem with it. Also, being athletes, I am quite sure a lot of them do other sports to stay in shape, have fun, etc. Hard to stop that, unless your contract forbids it.

I remember right after Josh Jacobs signed, there was a video that went viral of him and another guy I think on a dirt bike? They kind of wiped out and it looked like Jacobs may have gotten hurt. The goods news, he didn't. Or was this when he hurt his hammy?

Found the video:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!