Free Agency Thread

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Jones is just a good guy he’s going to be good no matter. Love his person but he is going to turn 30 years old this season. Definitely missed but I’m happy he can get paid well somewhere and I don’t blame him fir not wanting to take another cut.

I think Jacob’s is going to kill it in GB for the next 4 seasons. Especially if we draft a few good OL upgrades. No way was Runyon worth $10Mil/yr no thank you.

Let’s pair those 2 RB’s with someone like Braelon Allen or at least a good Day3 prospect
The Packers are down to one RB in Jacob's now that Jones is gone. Wilson has so few touches in his career that it would presumptuous to think at this stage that he's going to be RB # 2 or even RB #3.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can’t believe we got Xavier McKinney. That’s almost too good to be true.
Thank You Gutey!! Our GM is not toying around!
Look at it this way. No way do the Packers start two rookies or a rookie with Johnson in 2024 after they let Savage and Ford walk. They had to sign a free agent safety and I'm glad it was Xavier. Safety is still a big priority in the draft as a starting safety may still be taken in the top few rounds.

OP
OP
Todd Princl

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jacob’s contract is only 12.5 guaranteed. Surprised his agent allowed that!
Also McKinney’s contract is front loaded at 25 million. It offsets what we would have paid Jones and Bak..
This is probably very smart before we have to pay Love, and probably Kenny Clark.

Reaction score
Look at it this way. No way do the Packers start two rookies or a rookie with Johnson in 2024 after they let Savage and Ford walk. They had to sign a free agent safety and I'm glad it was Xavier. Safety is still a big priority in the draft as a starting safety may still be taken in the top few rounds.
Absolutely We’re not done at all. Either we will sign a lower cost Safety once the dust settles OR prioritize it in the draft by Day 2 at latest.
Remember we’re a couple of hours into FA this is just the start of adding more talent. 5 Day1-2 draft selections alone could spell BOTH a Safety AND RB and it doesn’t even phase us.
There’s still plenty of room to replace the Rudy Fords of the world both from our own guys or across the WWW of Safeties. We’re shooting way too low if we’re worried about Rudy Ford. Go look at the list of Safeties available. He’s not even on it

Last edited:

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully they can find a decent 2nd tier lb..going to need to add some guys that can cover.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What just happened? I just woke up from a nap...
We already won the Super Bowl. When Goodell saw the moves we made, he called an emergency Zoom meeting of the entire NFL ownership, and they unanimously agreed that the ony reasonable thing for them to do was just award us the next 2 Lombardis. They realize there's just no point in going through with playing the games, and their teams all get humiliated and develop emotional disorders, drinking problems, insomnia, etc.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm going to miss 33, but jeeeesh, it will be nice to see a player wearing #8 in Green and Gold, that is actually really good!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Also McKinney’s contract is front loaded at 25 million. It offsets what we would have paid Jones and Bak..
This is probably very smart before we have to pay Love, and probably Kenny Clark.
I'm seeing a distinct possibility that Kenny Clark may become a free agent.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm seeing a distinct possibility that Kenny Clark may become a free agent

Possibly in 2025. Guessing it will depend on who is in the wings to replace him. No way do I want to see the Packers pay Clark the same money Chris Jones just got from the Chiefs. Switching to a 4-3 defense might soften the blow of not having Clark next year.

He also might be a good player to trade during the season, if they feel like they are fine without him.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely We’re not done at all. Either we will sign a lower cost Safety once the dust settles OR prioritize it in the draft by Day 2 at latest.
Remember we’re a couple of hours into FA this is just the start of adding more talent. 5 Day1-2 draft selections alone could spell BOTH a Safety AND RB and it doesn’t even phase us.
There’s still plenty of room to replace the Rudy Fords of the world both from our own guys or across the WWW of Safeties. We’re shooting way too low if we’re worried about Rudy Ford. Go look at the list of Safeties available. He’s not even on it
Yeah, completely agree. See, that's the thing... we didn't need just one safety, and we didn't even need only 2 - we need at least one more good safety (not $17M good, but starting caliber), plus we still need depth. I'd like to see us get another FA after the feeding frenzy is over, then draft a good Day Two prospect and maybe a Day 3 to possiby upgrade Owens and Ford. Free agency has a long ways to go, and with this many safeties on the market, the second safety we need will probaby be there for quite a while.

But we go to bed tonight knowing that our mst critically important need has already been fixed, and one of our other major needs has been partially addressed - without spending a single draft pick. How many years has that been true?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Russ Ball doling out his usual 33% guaranteed contracts. It's the way the Packers do business. Love will get a higher percentage probably but Russ Ball has a reputation around the league and all the agents know it.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Xavier McKinney on a 4X$68mil!
That guy is really good.
We’re in for a total treat after putting up with Savage for 5 seasons.

I love Aaron Jones. But this one doesn’t bother me. The trade off is we get a RB who just turns 26yrs old and put up 2,000+ scrimmage in 2023 behind a substandard OL.
That was 2 yrs. ago. 1100 from scrimmage last season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly in 2025. Guessing it will depend on who is in the wings to replace him. No way do I want to see the Packers pay Clark the same money Chris Jones just got from the Chiefs. Switching to a 4-3 defense might soften the blow of not having Clark next year.

He also might be a good player to trade during the season, if they feel like they are fine without him.
They won't be trading Clark in the middle of a Super Bowl run imo.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't Jones under contract for the upcoming season? If true I don't think he was demanding anything. IMO it is more likely the Pack asked him to re-structure and take a pay cut and he declined. IMO.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I am happy with the Jacobs signing. Nobody really wanted to lose Jones, but we don't know what he was demanding for a salary. Sometimes players force the teams' hands.
Apparently Russ Ball and Drew Rosenhaus weren't on the same page. Real big shocker there I know.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings desperately need a RB. Packer fans, get ready to see Jones in purple. He could inflict a lot of pain being on the other side.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love the signings of Mckinney and Jacobs.

Hate cutting Jones for 5m savings or whatever it is
My guess: Jones was about to make $12 mil next season, roughly the same that GB is going to pay Jacobs...Gutey probably decided $24 mil was a bit much to spend on the backfield for one year. He likely asked AJ to take a paycut, and when that didn't happen he decided to go with the younger guy.

I really hate to see a classy vet like Aaron Jones go, but it is a business, and this appears to have been a business decision that makes sense.

I love the signing of McKinney.

Reaction score
Last 5 seasons all Purpose

Aaron Jones
1500+
1400+
1100+
1500+
800+
370 average receiving yards per
Josh Jacobs
1300+
1300+
1200+
2000+
1100+
290 average receiving yards per

Josh is 4 years younger than Aaron and has a better chance at longevity
(Playing 5 years from now)

I think we’ll be just fine.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Aaron Jones
1500+
1400+
1100+
1500+
800+
Josh Jacobs
1300+
1300+
1200+
2000+
1100+

I don’t expect nor would have expected either of them here in five years.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Aaron Jones
1500+
1400+
1100+
1500+
800+
Josh Jacobs
1300+
1300+
1200+
2000+
1100+

It is true that Jacobs has 400 more scrimmage yards in the past 5 seasons. So 80 yds. per season or approx. 5.5 yds per game. They have both played 73 games in that span. It is also true that Josh is 38 months younger than Jones.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Jones is supposedly cut. Wow, I guess that whole speil about him being the "heartbeat of the team" was bullsh*t. I would be very surprised to see him back. Some other team is going to give him bigger money than Gute. While it's a business, getting cut won't make Jones itch to get back where he knows he's been dropped to second fiddle with the signing of Josh Jacobs
It's a business and sometimes it doesn't feel good at all. Jones is 29 and coming off an injury-plagued year. My guess is he and his agent weren't willing to take a cut, at least not now. Seems like they got a 26 y/o Jacobs for what they were paying Jones. Great guy for sure, but a pretty easy call.

Maybe he finds no takers in FA and the Packers keep him at a reduced salary. That seems possible. I hope so. for a team that seems ready now, it's a better move than relying on the draft.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a business and sometimes it doesn't feel good at all. Jones is 29 and coming off an injury-plagued year. My guess is he and his agent weren't willing to take a cut, at least not now. Seems like they got a 26 y/o Jacobs for what they were paying Jones. Great guy for sure, but a pretty easy call.

Maybe he finds no takers in FA and the Packers keep him at a reduced salary. That seems possible. I hope so. for a team that seems ready now, it's a better move than relying on the draft.
The Vikings and Cowboys need a RB. Pretty sure he'll get plenty of offers. Jones is gone and whoever signs him will get better because of it.

Members online

Latest posts